What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High oil pressure O-360

Cruising along today at 65% power at 6,000, OAT 41F, high oil pressure warning came on. Oil pressure was indicating 95psi with an oil temp of 138F. Phillips 20w50. First time this has occurred.
Any ideas where to start?? Thanks.

I suspect your indications were wrong. I would check all connections and grounds. The 138 degree oil temp I don’t believe can be correct after a climb to 6000 feet. If it is I would address that as well as the pressure issue. Just getting the temp into a normal range would drop the pressure some.

The VDO sensors tend to fail by reading high. It is just a diaphragm and a spring, so they do not last for long periods of time.

I would start with sensor replacement if it is VDO style sensor.

Larry

Update

Tested GRT oil temp probe. Appeared to indicate low and erratic when compared to accurate thermometer. Replaced probe. Now indicates 180-185 during flight. Bad probe.
Checked Vernatherm valve and while it extends and retracts, it appears to not change smoothly and might actually be sticking.
I blocked 50% of the cooler and I’m happy with the results now that the OT is reading accurately…

Update

Tested GRT oil temp probe. Appeared to indicate low and erratic when compared to accurate thermometer. Replaced probe. Now indicates 180-185 during flight. Bad probe.
Checked Vernatherm valve and while it extends and retracts, it appears to not change smoothly and might actually be sticking.
I blocked 50% of the cooler and I’m happy with the results now that the OT is reading accurately…

Back