What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Compass Cal without a compass rose?

Brett H

Patron
Since my airport (KBAK) doesn’t have a compass rose, how have people performed a Dynon Compass Calibration without having a compass rose?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN
Getting close to the first flight

Easy. Move the plane away from large stucutures (like a hangar). Put a standard Boy Scout compass out on the wing. Have a buddy turn the plane to the four cardinal headings then do the in flight fine tuning per the instructions.

Have the canopy shut (in flight position).

Carl

It’s been a few years since I calibrated the Skyview Touch in our Tundra, but I recall doing it in the air - you just needed an approximate idea of north, and follow the “wizard” in the software. I have no idea if that is in all the subsequent Skyview models, but worth checking….

It’s been a few years since I calibrated the Skyview Touch in our Tundra, but I recall doing it in the air - you just needed an approximate idea of north, and follow the “wizard” in the software. I have no idea if that is in all the subsequent Skyview models, but worth checking….

Yep. I calibrated my HDX about 2 years ago using the software wizard as stated above. Easy-peazy and very accurate.

Methods for calibrating a compass

Agreed. The best calibration I've ever had was using an iPhone compass as the "source of truth".

All excellent ideas. Most of the country West of the Appalachian Mountains is farm land. Most section lines (how land is divided for farming) are laid out North/South and East/West. That way you can check four different directions while flying. If you want true North, one must factor in magnetic deviation......

All excellent ideas. Most of the country West of the Appalachian Mountains is farm land. Most section lines (how land is divided for farming) are laid out North/South and East/West. That way you can check four different directions while flying.

If there isn't any wind........

GPS help

My question is:

whilst taxing is the GPS showing heading , ground track or is it both?

the latest GPS systems are extremely accurate with automatic compensation based on geo position....so isnt that good enough to calibrate a compass?

just thinking !!

Tecnam

My question is:

the latest GPS systems are extremely accurate with automatic compensation based on geo position....so isnt that good enough to calibrate a compass?

just thinking !!

Tecnam

It is ground track, but will also be heading if the nose of the plane is aligned with the same direction it is taxiing.

My question is:

just thinking !!

Tecnam

It displays ground track which as long as the gear isn’t badly out of alignment, is also aircraft heading.

That is how I do it.

Last edited:
My question is:

just thinking !!

Tecnam

Totally with you on this - the EFIS knows where you are, what direction you are flying, your track, and should be able to auto-calibrate. There must be a reason why they don't do that, but I can't think of it.

You could use Google Earth and draw a line from a certain point on the ground, maybe a taxiway centerline that intersects with another line.. to some point in the distance. Taxi out to that point, then manually line up the aircraft with that point in the distance. Just keep in mind that Google Earth is based on 0 = True North, not magnetic north.

But, I like the other suggestions more.. use a GPS to find a ground track that is north (just use caution of whether its showing you true north or mag north - do the appropriate math).

I don't like using the iPhone to find exact 0º though. I feel its too easy to accidentally move the device and throw off where its pointed at.

A good way to check your cal is take the runway heading off an airport diagram and line up on the parallel taxiway. Fortunately my home base has a compass rose, and part of my ground checks every flight is to stop on it and do a check against a known heading.

Back