What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retrofit sensor manifold to RV6

valsoar1

Ok - My RV6 is kinda old (1992) - time to give it some real engine instrumentation.

Thinking no reason I can’t install a Vans VA-168 3 port sensor manifold to mount fuel and oil pressure sensors. Doesn’t look like it will care if firewall is on a 6 and not a 14.

Bit confused on hoses though. I have an O-320. Looks like a VA-102 for engine to manifold fuel pressure line but unclear if VA-133 or VA-1119 for oil pressure line?

Anyone done this and can clarify, would be great!

Thanks.

Don't bother with Van's hoses...

Contact Tom @ TSFlightlines and have him make you a set of hoses -- custom length, size, etc.

I mounted all three transducers (MAP, OIL P, FUEL P) to the VA-168, bolted to firewall at the location specified in the OP-27 drawing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.31.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.31.43 PM.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 275
No reason you can't do the retrofit. Find a good place on the upper firewall to mount the manifold. Be sure to order plugs for the unused ports.. I also had Tom at TS Flightlines make up my FP, OP & MP hoses, highly recommended.

I did my 6 with the 7 parts. No problem except the manifold pressure hose is too short to reach the manifold. I rain the hose up to the engine mount tube and hard-lined it from there.

On my -9A, there is considerable lag between throttle change and manifold pressure indication. No easy way to prove this, but I think it's because with the three sensor manifold on the left side and the manifold connection on the right, the line is too long. A shorter line might have solved that problem.

Restrictor?

On my -9A, there is considerable lag between throttle change and manifold pressure indication. No easy way to prove this, but I think it's because with the three sensor manifold on the left side and the manifold connection on the right, the line is too long. A shorter line might have solved that problem.

Sounds to me more like having a restrictor fitting in the line somewhere, perhaps inadvertently.

Sometimes restrictor fittings are installed to reduce needle "quiver" on MP.

Back