What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairings

F1R

Well Known Member
Does anybody have photos of using piano hinge and wires inside the trailing edge
of the gear leg fairings?

I know most often these get epoxied/ glassed together. I have the F1 build manual but somewhere I recall a post with photos using the piano hinges riveted inside the fibreglass leg fairings. I just can't find it at the moment.

Thanks in Advance!

It's not that easy!

1st look thru the leg cover (large end) to make sure the airfoil is straight - not twisted. Sand the aft edge so it is straight. Your eyeball will tell the tale there.

Tape the aft edge so the leg stays as straight as possible. No twisting allowed.

Now, you get to drill the holes in the hinge - use 1" centers, with the hole right behind the hinge pin area.

Slide the hinge into the leg - make sure it is tight to the trailing edge; don't let the tape come loose. Clamp both ends of one side of the hinge - it does not make any difference which side.

Insert a small light into the leg so you can see where the holes are (on the side you clamped). Drill from the outside thru the holes (#40) on each end. Do this on both sides - side #2 will be much easier.

Your hand should fit into the large end - use finger pressure to drill about every third hole, and cleco those holes. Watch those fingers! You can use a paint stick if necessary.

When finished side #1, you can do side #2. You are finished when all holes are drilled. You will notice it is now Beer-thirty - enjoy!

Final attachment is with that wonderful fuel tank sealant - you get to glue the hinges in place - what fun! #40 soft rivets (countersunk) will do the trick of holding the hinge while the stick stuff sets up.

Look at the clock - it is beer-thirty again! Enjoy!

Back