What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Practice Project Issues

vsavatar

I completed the RV practice project today, and there were some issues. The main one seems to be that when rolling the leading edges and riveting them together, there was some bowing between the rivets. Of course, this may have been because CP-2 had no holes nor any guidance on where to drill the holes on that part (or alternatively I'm blind and just missed them). Any ideas on how to avoid this problem on the actual RV-10 I'm going to be building when it arrives this fall?

The other issue was when riveting the ribs to the skins, the last rivet on each was problematic. I tried using their mild steel bucking bar that they recommended I fabricate, but it was near-impossible to rivet the opposite side of each rib. On the real plane, can I just use pop rivets in the last rivet on each?

Finally, please comment on the double flush riveting job I did/tried to do. I've never done it before, and it seemed pretty complicated. I did the best I could with it, but one of them had to be drilled out. The drill bit wandered, and I ended up having to go a size up on the rivet, which had a different length. That one, unfortunately is not flush, and I don't have a rivet shaver yet, so it's just going to have to stay that way for now. I guess I'll have to be extra careful on the real plane to avoid that problem. Other than that one, how do they look?

Any other comments are welcome. I wish I had kept the vinyl on because of all the workbench scratches. Live and learn on that one, I guess.

Attachments

• 20220709_194112[1].jpg
    20220709_194112[1].jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220709_194049[1].jpg
    20220709_194049[1].jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 118
Practice

Answers below in red.

I completed the RV practice project today, and there were some issues. The main one seems to be that when rolling the leading edges and riveting them together, there was some bowing between the rivets. Of course, this may have been because CP-2 had no holes nor any guidance on where to drill the holes on that part (or alternatively I'm blind and just missed them). Any ideas on how to avoid this problem on the actual RV-10 I'm going to be building when it arrives this fall?

The "pillowing" is because there is tension. The outer skin is pulling away. The two sides need to fit without tension. It takes a bit of massaging. The J-Hook method works pretty good. I used a 1/2" pipe first to establish a good curve then a 3/4" pipe to finish the bend. Also, break the outer edge so it lays flat.

The other issue was when riveting the ribs to the skins, the last rivet on each was problematic. I tried using their mild steel bucking bar that they recommended I fabricate, but it was near-impossible to rivet the opposite side of each rib. On the real plane, can I just use pop rivets in the last rivet on each?
Yes, but I'm not Vans so check with them to make sure a MK319BS is allowed.

Finally, please comment on the double flush riveting job I did/tried to do. I've never done it before, and it seemed pretty complicated. I did the best I could with it, but one of them had to be drilled out. The drill bit wandered, and I ended up having to go a size up on the rivet, which had a different length. That one, unfortunately is not flush, and I don't have a rivet shaver yet, so it's just going to have to stay that way for now. I guess I'll have to be extra careful on the real plane to avoid that problem. Other than that one, how do they look?

Pretty rugged but its practice. I used a 1" flush set. Alternate every 6-10 ruvets setting partially. Keep skipping till every rivet is partially set. Repeat setting a little more each pass till they are fully set.

Any other comments are welcome. I wish I had kept the vinyl on because of all the workbench scratches. Live and learn on that one, I guess.

Minor scratches don't matter unless you plan to polish. Remove blue vinyl. It just attracts moisture and encourages corrosion

Don’t be discouraged. My practice piece looks rough compared to where I’m at now. Practice on a few scrap pieces and try adjusting your air pressure to the gun till you find what works. Having your work firmly supported is a huge thing as well. Practice will make better. As Wirejock ....says drill out the rivets as your going to need that experience as well...I know a friend who’s drilled out a few ;)

Keith

Finally, please comment on the double flush riveting job I did/tried to do. I've never done it before, and it seemed pretty complicated.

Alternatively, you can use special angled dimple dies. They are not without their quirks, though. In my experience of doing an RV-7 rudder (which is different from RV-10, though!), they tend to slip off the rivets. I had to clean / Scotch-Brite the dies every few rivets.

Back