What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming crate size please.

swift12

Well Known Member
Hi. It’s wet and cold here in NZ now. Into winter. Next winter my engine will likely be here. My shed is a steel clad shed and the concrete gets quite moist. Probably not a good environment for storage for anything. But my games room is dry. Has insulated walls and carpet. Plus a beer fridge which probably creates a little heat. I have decided to extend my games room to provide a storage area for my aircraft parts and engine.

Does anyone know the crate size the engine comes in? I’d like to make a space for it and a door suitable. The little storage room is only 2.3 metres by 3.1 metres.( Ok 7.5 feet by 10 feet) but will be dry.

Cheers.;)

Hi. It’s wet and cold here in NZ now. Into winter. Next winter my engine will likely be here. My shed is a steel clad shed and the concrete gets quite moist. Probably not a good environment for storage for anything. But my games room is dry. Has insulated walls and carpet. Plus a beer fridge which probably creates a little heat. I have decided to extend my games room to provide a storage area for my aircraft parts and engine.

Does anyone know the crate size the engine comes in? I’d like to make a space for it and a door suitable. The little storage room is only 2.3 metres by 3.1 metres.( Ok 7.5 feet by 10 feet) but will be dry.

Cheers.;)

No dimensions but maybe perspective will help.
20170113_142954.jpg

If you are getting your Lycoming from any other engine builder, will usually be std pallet size.
Aerosport Power is 48"x40"x32". Don't know what that is in Kiwi lingo

If you are getting your Lycoming from any other engine builder, will usually be std pallet size.
Aerosport Power is 48"x40"x32". Don't know what that is in Kiwi lingo
:

I’m Learning to use inches and speak in imperial much as possible but this would definitely be 1.2 x 1 x .8 metres (approx) in kiwi lingo! Cheers :D

My M1B Direct from Lycoming, was shipped on a crate that would not even come close to fitting through a 36 inch wide door. I had to cut a wider opening into the back climate controlled room of my barn. I still have the crate but I’m not at home, so I can’t give you a measurement. I will say that my opening is now 48 inches wide and it will get through. I hope that helps.

That engine shown in Wirejock's photo fit in the back of my '03 Toyota Tundra that has a shell on it. There was plenty of room. I expect that your shed, assuming it will fit through the door, is more than ample.

Dave

My M1B Direct from Lycoming, was shipped on a crate that would not even come close to fitting through a 36 inch wide door. I had to cut a wider opening into the back climate controlled room of my barn. I still have the crate but I’m not at home, so I can’t give you a measurement. I will say that my opening is now 48 inches wide and it will get through. I hope that helps.

Great cheers. Ok I’m going to make a 50” opening in the wall which will also be the “door” however not a normal door but an opening wall. This attaches to the games room and with an opening through the games room I will be able to open the wall and push the wings on moveable stand’s right through into the games room during winter. One thing I know for sure I don’t want that expensive engine languishing in my shed (barn) for two years

That engine shown in Wirejock's photo fit in the back of my '03 Toyota Tundra that has a shell on it. There was plenty of room. I expect that your shed, assuming it will fit through the door, is more than ample.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I will ensure it will now! Without asking I would have screwed up and been too small on the opening.

IO360 direct from Lycoming box with wood base is 39”x39”x27”(tall). The pallet is 42x42x6”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 83
thanks for the help...this is my door size of the little storage room i have made to extend my games room. insulated...will be carpeted....vented....door is 1100mm wide...(43")

cheers...

Attachments

• IMG_4154 5.jpg
    IMG_4154 5.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
All Lycoming Engine crates for engines ordered through Van's are currently 44” x 42” x 34”

Crate weights:
320s and parallel valve 360s are ~375lbs
Angle valve 360s and 390s are ~450lbs
IO-540s are ~530lbs

All Lycoming Engine crates for engines ordered through Van's are currently 44” x 42” x 34”

Crate weights:
320s and parallel valve 360s are ~375lbs
Angle valve 360s and 390s are ~450lbs
IO-540s are ~530lbs

Thanks Greg.

That will fit. Cheers for the weight too.

Thanks for the input. Here is the hole for the engine at the end of next year. I’ll remove the shelves and the motor crate will fit….will stick out around 250 mm (what’s that? 10”?) above it is an area I have made with a lid for skins. The hs will sit up on the shelf when fully made….given my expectation of impending shipping in the next few months most of my parts will be stuffed in this small room or the games room….got a dehumidifier to keep it dry….insulated walls and ceiling.

Attachments

• 465488D7-9F0D-4B06-82F7-706940DC9819.jpeg
    465488D7-9F0D-4B06-82F7-706940DC9819.jpeg
    943.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 6F1A0118-F89A-4771-B016-4AFD634A56EB.jpeg
    6F1A0118-F89A-4771-B016-4AFD634A56EB.jpeg
    678.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 7C62AFC3-AD7F-47A8-868F-B5C0032E1C07.jpeg
    7C62AFC3-AD7F-47A8-868F-B5C0032E1C07.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 45
Back