What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A tip if you have to drill new aileron torque tube collars

avatty

Well Known Member
Unfortunately I felt it necessary to fabricate a new aileron torque tube collar after final drilling the torque tubes (KAI 23-06 - 23-07). I found that a 0-80 size washer has the same outer diameter as an AN3 bolt, so can be used as a center-punch/drill guide in the #12 holes in the torque tube. The inner diameter of the washer is the same as a #50 drill bit. I cut down some used AN3 bolts to use as plugs to keep alignment as the drilling progressed. The result was much better than I could have achieved without using the washers as guides. I found the washers at the local Ace Hardware.

It also was helpful to keep the torque tube and the collar together throughout the process - since the collar is of much thinner material than the torque tube, the hole in the collar comes into conformity with the torque tube as you progressively drill toward the final size, if the pilot hole was not perfectly centered.

Back