What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proposing...THE RV-16!!

DA42 killer

What about a 4 place twin?

The DA42 is pretty cool and I know Van's could do it better and for 1/2 the price. Twin IO-390's with an option for turbo Jet-A engines. Could use the RV10 fuselage to save time/cost....new wings and turn the 10 engine compartment into a frunk.

Nothing else remotely like that on the experimental market. I have to think all the people flying Baron's and twin Cessna's are ready to get something made this century.

Like everything else....easy to say, I'm sure super hard to do.

Merry Christmas!

a thought

The DA42 is pretty cool and I know Van's could do it better and for 1/2 the price. Twin IO-390's with an option for turbo Jet-A engines. Could use the RV10 fuselage to save time/cost....new wings and turn the 10 engine compartment into a frunk.

Nothing else remotely like that on the experimental market. I have to think all the people flying Baron's and twin Cessna's are ready to get something made this century.

Merry Christmas!
The only twin I would even consider is a push pull twin like a Cessna Skymaster. And only because it could be put on floats. A twin on floats would be unique and corner the market.

Merry Christmas!

I've been dreaming of a 4-place twin with conventional landing gear and retractable mains, counterrotating props, potentially with UL Power engines:
https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520isrr

The "what the **** is that" notion of ramp appeal would be well-checked. As tandem RVs are to WWII fighters, this concept would be to early light bombers.

I don't think the market would support a kit of this type, but it could be a cool one-off or plans-built.

I've been dreaming of a 4-place twin with conventional landing gear and retractable mains, counterrotating props, potentially with UL Power engines:
https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul520/ul520isrr

The "what the **** is that" notion of ramp appeal would be well-checked. As tandem RVs are to WWII fighters, this concept would be to early light bombers.

I don't think the market would support a kit of this type, but it could be a cool one-off or plans-built.

That would be a great plane! Beech 18, but with flat engines (UL520, -360, -390) It would be very expensive. If RV10s are 250k, this would be 400k. Big rudders for docile engine-out handling and needs good engine-out climb performance too.

RV-16 Update at OSH '22?

Amid all the discussion at Osh about the RV-15, was there any mention of the RV-16? I thought there would be a chance the 15 and 16 would be related such that the reveal of one would reveal hints of the other.

Amid all the discussion at Osh about the RV-15, was there any mention of the RV-16? I thought there would be a chance the 15 and 16 would be related such that the reveal of one would reveal hints of the other.

Rian answered a question during one of the forums if the Rv-15 would be the only high wing Vans would design and he said no.

Osh 2021

Last year Vans announced there will be a RV16 high wing, but the emphasis is on the 15 first.
So I am hoping that development is outlined in the next few months. I would like to see which is better for my mission before I commit to the 15.

RV-16......

Last year Vans announced there will be a RV16 high wing, but the emphasis is on the 15 first.
So I am hoping that development is outlined in the next few months. I would like to see which is better for my mission before I commit to the 15.

It was amusing to see how far back this thread went! Way before the -15 was even seen!

Funny: we were just talking about this the other day with a -7 flyer, -10 builder, C-180 owner (who is getting multiple calls a week to sell his C-180!). With the lack of C-180/185s around and getting WAY expensive, the (perhaps) logical next move would be a 4-seat to compete with that market. Are there already some of those on the kit market? Yes: see the latest issue of Kitplanes about the sudden reworking of the Murphy Radical. 2+2? With what Vans did with the -10 (a true 4 place airplane) the -16 (if it is a larger -15) would likely be a true 4 place and have the reputation of being from the design minds of the most successful kit manufacturers on the planet!

I guess we will have to wait and see. Will that affect the sale of the -15 as people wait for the more utilitarian -16? Probably not.....Speculation......:p:D Here we go again......:D

RV16 - diesel powered or all electric LSA.

Unfortunately, at this time, electric power does not meet the definition of LSA.

FAR part 1.1, "Light sport aircraft, (6) A single reciprocating engine, if powered."

Next??

Arguably Van has checked the ELSA box with the 12, every iteration available notwithstanding. My personal desire would be a step in a lower cost direction, an affordable, easy to build (12 similarity) in the Sonex category. It could offer numerous engine choices, simplicity being key.
I know, my long time Vans association reveals the truth, they’re making plenty of money with their current designs with a backlog of orders. I’d just like to see a Vans version of my S2, phenomenal low cost bang for the buck, folding wing store in the garage sport plane…

Dream on…
:)

V/R
Smokey

It should be a RV8 on steroids. AKA Super 8. Along the lines of a F1 Rocket.

Should not be difficult. Larger fuel tanks, IO540, doublers in critical places, and an extended cowl. Pretty much things that have already be done.

A 230 mph cruiser.

It should be a RV8 on steroids. AKA Super 8. Along the lines of a F1 Rocket.

Should not be difficult. Larger fuel tanks, IO540, doublers in critical places, and an extended cowl. Pretty much things that have already be done.

A 230 mph cruiser.

So, a Super 8 (540) with a Smith carbon wing, fastback kit, and rocket mods to the emp/aft fuse? You might be able to get one of those quicker than Vans will offer a 16. But are there rocket mods to the aft-fuse and emp for the 8? how close is the EVO?

In consideration of lower fuel burn perhaps a build that relies on twin Rotax 912iS (or even twin 915iS) instead of Twin IO-390's? More than enough electrical power to load up the panel with any avionics you desire! Tecnam P2006T does this powerplant in their twin.

Admittedly I was extremely skeptical of an engine that turns 5,000 RPM at cruise with a gearbox attached. But after almost two years flying an RV-12iS I have become a believer. These are strong and smooth little powerplants that cruise at 3.9 GPH (imagine a twin that burns less fuel per hour than a Diamond DA-40 or a Cessna 172) and never need oil between oil changes!

Osh 2021

In consideration of lower fuel burn perhaps a build that relies on twin Rotax 912iS (or even twin 915iS) instead of Twin IO-390's? More than enough electrical power to load up the panel with any avionics you desire! Tecnam P2006T does this powerplant in their twin.

Admittedly I was extremely skeptical of an engine that turns 5,000 RPM at cruise with a gearbox attached. But after almost two years flying an RV-12iS I have become a believer. These are strong and smooth little powerplants that cruise at 3.9 GPH (imagine a twin that burns less fuel per hour than a Diamond DA-40 or a Cessna 172) and never need oil between oil changes!

I was at the original Osh announcement. at that time Greg said the RV15 and 16 will both be high wings.
if you want a twin, it will have to be the RV17.

Vans has been really quiet about the RV16. i wonder if they will announce more details at Osh this year, right after they announce the RV15 tail kits are available. I think they have to announce the RV16 details prior to releasing the RV15 kits, so one does not get suck into the RV15 when the RV16 is a better fit for their mission.

I'd like to see something that would be simple and plans built, but have kits for the difficult parts, such as spars, and have stamped ribs. I'd like to see go with it, a short, as in 3 or 4 day class at the factory for setting up and drilling the hard stuff on factory controlled tooling and then disassemble, deburr it and alodine it and package it to be shipped home for assembly.

I was at the original Osh announcement. at that time Greg said the RV15 and 16 will both be high wings.
if you want a twin, it will have to be the RV17.

Vans has been really quiet about the RV16. i wonder if they will announce more details at Osh this year, right after they announce the RV15 tail kits are available. I think they have to announce the RV16 details prior to releasing the RV15 kits, so one does not get suck into the RV15 when the RV16 is a better fit for their mission.

Yes, we have never seen a high wing twin......

pffft

Arguably Van has checked the ELSA box with the 12, every iteration available notwithstanding. My personal desire would be a step in a lower cost direction, an affordable, easy to build (12 similarity) in the Sonex category. It could offer numerous engine choices, simplicity being key.
I know, my long time Vans association reveals the truth, they’re making plenty of money with their current designs with a backlog of orders. I’d just like to see a Vans version of my S2, phenomenal low cost bang for the buck, folding wing store in the garage sport plane…

Dream on…

V/R
Smokey
I agree to an extent. It seems like other than the 12, everything is pushing bigger, and more expensive. The lower income, builder-hopefuls are getting left behind. Every discussion of trying to make aviation more accessible seems to not bear much fruit. I’d really like to see a modern kit slotted between the 12 and 14.

Design a plane specifically to be easy to build like the 12. I’d love to see a re-tooled 9 with pulled rivets, less user manufactured parts, a couple pre established prewired panel options, etc., designed around a 150 - 175 hp (used/rebuilt) Lycoming. Modern computerized 3D plans views to facilitate building, etc, etc. Why the dreaded fiberglass layups when precision CAD and manufacturing could yield repeatable/replaceable canopy installations?

Let’s try a run at a “KISS” project vs a “go big or go home” one. ;)

But for now… considering shopping for a decent used 9A. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
A 4 place hull Amphibian with IO 580 Please

I vote for an improved version of the Lake 250 Renegade, but made with the hull 1.5 ft longer in the back end, to locate the tail feathers aft enough to control the Lycoming IO 580 330 HP .

https://youtu.be/JT-0UermBCA
JT-0UermBCA

After you land on water at your secret happy place, you will be forever changed.

For all you folks that want a 4-seat E-AB C-180 clone, here it is:

The Bushliner Cyclone 1850 EX, which is a traditional amateur-built kit, and the Bushliner Cyclone 1850 FX, which is designed to be completed via a builder assist program.

View attachment 42848

The press release above cagily doesn't quote price. From their website the 1850EX (EAB) quickbuild kit "Starting at $300,000". Doesn't say what this includes.

The 1850FX (Factory assisted completion) "Ready to fly starting at $750,000".

Not sure who their market is, but I know for sure it's not me.

No roads, no campers, no people. Only bears & trout.

And the campers and fishermen there will be forever PO'd.

Dave

Where I go there are no roads in and no people other than the ones you bought with you. Normally there are only a few shy bears & moose with lots of trout.

You can leave the dry dusty wind swept high plains at home and land in a mountain paradise with cool moist alpine air to revive you when you land.

Fish stories

Where I go there are no roads in and no people other than the ones you bought with you. Normally there are only a few shy bears & moose with lots of trout.

You can leave the dry dusty wind swept high plains at home and land in a mountain paradise with cool moist alpine air to revive you when you land.

Ok I’ll take the bait and bite.
Where do you go?

I vote for an improved version of the Lake 250 Renegade, but made with the hull 1.5 ft longer in the back end, to locate the tail feathers aft enough to control the Lycoming IO 580 330 HP .

https://youtu.be/JT-0UermBCA
JT-0UermBCA

After you land on water at your secret happy place, you will be forever changed.

Revealed in the video.
c5myPs3H-qE
Most amphib owners have their own short list of lakes where there are no roads in. Kakwa lake in BC is 5000 ft elevation. There are a few lakes along the great divide that are long enough to be landable. Taking off is the issue. The interior of central and northern BC offers lots of possibilities at lower elevations. The BC Seaplane association lists lakes in BC, The Yukon and Alaska.Minnesota has hundreds of lakes. Manitoba, Saskatchewan , Ontario and Quebec all have vast areas of Canadian Shield with endless remote lakes.

c5myPs3H-qE

Last edited:
My dream of a 16 would be a hybrid rv10. Electric motor with 30 min of battery power, and an auto-conversion gas/diesel generator (6-10k for auto engine). Engine can run at any rpm needed for power/efficiency. If cheap engine ever has issues you can just replace it, and have 30 min of safety electricity to land safely.

E-1/RV16

Having been blessed to fly all the RV models vice the 14 and 15, my thoughts on a new Vans design go the opposite direction that the aforementioned models have, an affordable price. Case in point is the world record holding Ebneter E-1 now permanently housed in the EAA museum. This relatively small all metal aircraft was a thesis design at Texas A&M for the builder, Mr A. Ebneter, a retired USAF Veteran and dreamer. This design not only broke the distance record previously held by Gary Hertzler in his very dialed in Varieze, it set an endurance record in the process. Powered by a Jab 2200 and with wet wings, speed, very long range and efficiency are the order of the day. Flying non-stop from Paine Field WA to Fredericksburg VA on less than 75 gallons of gas made a huge design statement in itself. As a sport-plane I believe it would be a great budget RV (16) potentially adapting folding wings, trailerable and fun without breaking the bank.

I’m not holding my breath but like The Beach Boys said “wouldn’t it be nice”?

V/R
Smokey

PS: https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/07/05/the-propeller-under-the-bed/

Last edited:
Back