What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero Composites 2200 Prop.

N661DJ

Well Known Member
I have a Aero Composites 2200 prop. that I am considering installing on my RV-8
to replace the Hartzell BA currently installed. I have weighed both props and the AC prop is 20 lbs. lighter than the Hartzell, this would allow me to eliminate the 25 lb. weight I am currently having to use in the rear baggage area when flying solo.
Aero Composites is not in business and info. about the prop. is somewhat limited.
Is there anyone presently using this prop.? What seems to be the issues, if any, with this propeller?
I have had the prop. inspected by a local prop. shop that has experience with composite props. They did not find any problems or issues with it.
Any input would be appreciated.
Dick

If the prop is free go ahead and use it, but I consider Aero Composite props to have little value due to the company offering no support. AC props had their own spinner that had a special rubber filler piece at the forward bulkhead, and that piece is no longer available. You will have to come up with your own filler piece for support.

If you have to pay for the prop go ahead and purchase a Whirlwind. You will be glad you did. My $.02.

-Marc

I have a Aero Composites 2200 prop. that I am considering installing on my RV-8
to replace the Hartzell BA currently installed. I have weighed both props and the AC prop is 20 lbs. lighter than the Hartzell, this would allow me to eliminate the 25 lb. weight I am currently having to use in the rear baggage area when flying solo.
Aero Composites is not in business and info. about the prop. is somewhat limited.
Is there anyone presently using this prop.? What seems to be the issues, if any, with this propeller?
I have had the prop. inspected by a local prop. shop that has experience with composite props. They did not find any problems or issues with it.
Any input would be appreciated.
Dick

American Propeller is the only shop that I know of that can overhaul your prop. I'm flying with one and like it, but don't like shipping it across the country for work.

The spinner grommet is in fact an issue, since mine was deteriorated and needed a fix. My first attempt has failed, so I'm still working on it.

I paid for an overhaul because it was long overdue. A basic overhaul runs about $4K. I tried get a Whirlwind 2-blade instead but they wouldn't sell me one for my engine, an IO-360 200 hp with 10:1 pistons. I think they would have sold me a 3-blade though.

Good luck with yours.

Ameritech Industries dba EXP
20208 Charlanne Drive
Redding, CA 96002 USA
Phone: (530) 221-4470
Fax: (530) 221-5210
Email: [email protected]

Just a pirep on American Propeller, the paint they used on my prop sucked. It started deteriorating right away. Of course they said to pull it off and send it back for a free repair..... :mad:

-Marc

Aero Composites Prop Rings in work

Hi everyone

I think I have a solution for the Aero Composites prop ring issue. These are made from an elastomeric material and have an improved cross section for better durability. Expecting to have at least three of these for testing around January 25th. The first one is going on an F-1 Rocket that is flown almost daily here at Spruce Creek.

If someone has a 2-blade Aero Composites prop that they would be willing to take some measurements to confirm the rings are the same as the 3-blade, please PM me. Thanks.

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL
[email protected]
Test West LLC

Last edited:
I'm sure us Aerocomposite owners would welcome a new spinner grommet replacement! Don't know if you will get rich making it but..... ;)

-Marc

Haha if I can just get the biz off the ground it would be good. I have three of these rings coming from manufacturing and if the fit and initial durability work in flight test we'll make more. The good material is not cheap any more though, but I am really trying to keep these well below $100 and make them last a long time. The originals were just cast urethane and pretty soft. The last one of the originals made was flown in a Rocket here at Spruce Creek and it lasted only two flights.

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL

Last edited:
I'll take one at that price.

That being said, I'm unconvinced of the criticality of this part. I just wrapped a rubber strip around the dome and shimmed it to fit snug with tape. It's been working so far.

Haha if I can just get the biz off the ground it would be good. I have three of these rings coming from manufacturing and if the fit and initial durability work in flight test we'll make more. The good material is not cheap any more though, but I am really trying to keep these well below $100 and make them last a long time. The originals were just cast urethane and pretty soft. The last one of the originals made was flown in a Rocket here at Spruce Creek and it lasted only two flights.

Count me in for one.

-Marc

OK, gents, thanks! I will keep you posted. And granted, the part may not be critical, but the function of stabilizing the propeller dome is. As I said, the idea of using tape (which another resident here is also doing on his RV BTW) or even old tire tube is pretty darn clever. :)

However, an elegant part designed for the purpose and that is not horribly expensive is kind of appealing, too!

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I think I have a solution for the Aero Composites prop ring issue. These are made from an elastomeric material and have an improved cross section for better durability. Expecting to have at least three of these for testing around January 25th. The first one is going on an F-1 Rocket that is flown almost daily here at Spruce Creek.

If someone has a 2-blade Aero Composites prop that they would be willing to take some measurements to confirm the rings are the same as the 3-blade, please PM me. Thanks.

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL
[email protected]
Test West LLC

I can send you new old stock (prop ring) for the 2 bladed, if you are interested and willing to send the ring back to me.

Jim

Last edited:
OEM Info and cost is below

Hi James,

1 part is $225.00 / 2 parts $150.00 each
Delivery would be 3-5 weeks

Matthew J Nash
Nash Mfg. & Grinding Services, Inc
572 Saint James Ave Springfield, MA 01109
Phone 413-301-5188
www.nashmanufacturing.com

For reference here is the last ring made by Aero Composites for the three-blade spinner....

Norman Howell
Spruce Creek Fly-In, FL

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
2blade

I just purchased an RV7 project with the Superior XP IO-360 and a 2 blade Aero Composites prop. The project came with everything I need except that it had no paperwork at all for the Prop. Would anyone be willing to email me anything they might have on this prop? It looks brand new but was apparently used for a few hours on an RV8. I have no idea when that was but the prop was installed on this project around 2010. I’m guessing it will need an inspection or maybe an overhaul. Not sure if I should spend the money or go with something else. Thoughts?

Aero Composite 2200 prop

I have an ACI 2200 prop that is great, except for the fact that during recent conditional inspection, the spinner bulkhead has a crack at one of the mounting bolts.

From everything I have learned, I am facing a replacement prop purchase.

I have not been able to find a spinner bulkhead to replace my broken one.

American Propeller recently (5-6 months ago) stopped servicing these props and may have been the only shop that would service them.

I'm hoping to find a replacement part for my prop!

Thanks all!
Doug Penington
RV7a

Doug, I think Santa Monica Propeller took over the ACI overhaul and service business from American....

Back