What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VOR Antenna location

I mounted mine in the actual fibreglass tip as others have done.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpg
    IMG_2958.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 249
+1 For Archer, works great. I also diplex mine to pick up glideslope. Also works great from initial testing.

What's a VOR ???

:D

It's an ancient device that, when for whatever reason, the gps goes out, will get you home.

I've actually had a GTN650 display a big red X over the screen when for some unknown reason it lost the GPS signal during an LPV approach. I was in VMC by then, so no biggie, but it does make you think.

I’m going with the new style carbon fiber wingtips, so the Archer antenna isn’t going to be an option for me. Is there a particular “whiskers antenna” that’s advisable to go with? I certainly want the smallest footprint that’s possible.

I’m going with the new style carbon fiber wingtips, so the Archer antenna isn’t going to be an option for me. Is there a particular “whiskers antenna” that’s advisable to go with? I certainly want the smallest footprint that’s possible.

The AEROLEDS wing tip will also be available in fiberglass.

The AEROLEDS wing tip will also be available in fiberglass.

Yes,…and I debated which one’s to go with, and ultimately decided to go with the C.F. units. I’m really hoping the whiskers don’t drive me crazy. ��

I saw one in a museum once

Is that the +- 8 degree navaid? the one with a cone of confusion? The one where TO or From makes a difference? Are you using the VOR for ballast or CG adjustment?

Whisker VOR Antenna in VS Top

Is there a particular “whiskers antenna” that’s advisable to go with?

I installed the RAMI AV-520 antenna into the top of the vertical stabilizer on my RV-10. With it placed high, the risk of eye injury is greatly reduced. See photo below.

I'm not going to get into the debate of VOR/ILS vs just GPS. :)

Attachments

• VOR Antenna.JPG
    VOR Antenna.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 100
I installed the RAMI AV-520 antenna into the top of the vertical stabilizer on my RV-10. With it placed high, the risk of eye injury is greatly reduced. See photo below.
:)

Except, he said he has a "14", presumably a tail dragger - much closer to eye level.

I'm not going to get into the debate of VOR/ILS vs just GPS. :)

I’m building a -14 taildragger, so my antenna will be much lower. I don’t know if there’s much of a difference, but I’m looking at the RAMI AV-532.

Archer Proximity Question

I’ve thought about hanging an Archer VOR antenna in the wingtip, mainly so I can get the flying V off the tail because I’m always looking to get stuff off the back end of our tailheavy-leaning RV-6. Would there be problems with the Archer being near the LED landing light or the uAvionix Skysensor or Skybeacon ADS-B in and out units?

I’ve thought about hanging an Archer VOR antenna in the wingtip, mainly so I can get the flying V off the tail because I’m always looking to get stuff off the back end of our tailheavy-leaning RV-6. Would there be problems with the Archer being near the LED landing light or the uAvionix Skysensor or Skybeacon ADS-B in and out units?

Is the LED driven by a pulsed, or dc, current? DC, no problem. Pulsed, maybe. But move the antenna aft a bit, away from the LED wires.
It’s never a good idea to have multiple antennas close together; can’t say if they will interfere or not; my guess is not.

Back