What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans paying attention to interests in high wing STOL aircraft

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
In case you missed it last week Socialflight interviewed Van, V.P. of Engineering Rian Johnson & Director Greg Hughes and included an awesome tour of the factory. I was impressed by the advancements they have made in the area of QA and manufacturing.

However, what interested me the most was Van's response to the questions regarding what's next for Vans Aircraft.

Van's response to the questions included, "Generally high wing is the preferred configuration for small airport, off airport landings. There's definitely an interest there. We are paying attention to that field. Stay tuned, we'll see what happens"

Hmmm, does building a high wing STOL kit aircraft fall under the category of "paying attention to that field"? When will we learn more????

I know there is money there in the STOL side of the house but I would give anything for a twin with the same kind of speeds as the 10 just a safer configuration. Really love flying a twin :D

I think a careful look at the NTSB database does not support this assertion.

That's due to lack of training to properly react to the situation. The moment you don't respect aviation it will kill you,I don't disagree with the NTSB but people never seem to understand the difference between currency and proficiency. I was out this weekend resetting my instrument currency but I wouldn't touch a cloud with a half mile pole atm without someone in the right seat. I know it will probably never happen but I can always dream! Or win the lottery and buy one :p

Hopefully a wing without struts and including self deploying slats.
Something like a smaller Helio HT-295. Yes, conventional gear.

Just in Time

This will be just in time to start after my 9a is done. No rest for those inflicted with this incurable disease.

Van's response to the questions included, "Generally high wing is the preferred configuration for small airport, off airport landings. There's definitely an interest there. We are paying attention to that field. Stay tuned, we'll see what happens"

Hmmm, does building a high wing STOL kit aircraft fall under the category of "paying attention to that field"? When will we learn more????

Yes Van did say that....but if my memory serves me correctly he went on to say that a number of aircraft with low wings including Messerschmitts were successfully used for rough field operations in WW2. That was a strange comment.

215 hp SIA Marchetti clone

I’ve often thought that a four seat , yet aerobatic , high HP 4 cylinder with Fowler flaps would fill my wish list perfectly, If there was no one in the back you have lots of room for off airport gear & you would still have fixed gear & sliding canopy making good use of the latest RV 14 FWF package !!!
Your thoughts Rian J.

High wing

My take from the video is that Vans has been focussing on and investing in manufacturing capability to improve the quality of the kits and ease of construction.

I don't expect to see a high wing RV anytime soon. Van was completely non commital when asked. But he did state a number of times that they are a conservative evolutionary type company, which is evident as all the models have shared DNA, IMHO.

The company is doing well with strong sales particularly of the -14, -10 and -12, plus the older models, so there would need to be a good reason for Vans to introduce a revolutionary new model.

Yes Van did say that....but if my memory serves me correctly he went on to say that a number of aircraft with low wings including Messerschmitts were successfully used for rough field operations in WW2. That was a strange comment.

I took it as an engineer's response to the prior claim that the PC24 was being used for unimproved strip operations - i.e. nothing new here.

I’ve often thought that a four seat , yet aerobatic , high HP 4 cylinder with Fowler flaps would fill my wish list perfectly, If there was no one in the back you have lots of room for off airport gear & you would still have fixed gear & sliding canopy making good use of the latest RV 14 FWF package !!!
Your thoughts Rian J.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a market for an aerobatic with more than 2 seats. Since all have to wear parachutes in the event of a required bail-out, getting four butts out of the airplane with parachute packs on during an LOC event is going to be just this side of impossible.

Why? The YAK-18T is also a 4 seater and is capable of aerobatics but only if no people are in the rear seats.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a market for an aerobatic with more than 2 seats. Since all have to wear parachutes in the event of a required bail-out, getting four butts out of the airplane with parachute packs on during an LOC event is going to be just this side of impossible.

I have some friends who will fly aerobatics in their Navions with 2 in the front, none in the back, and use it for XC flights fully loaded. If the RV10 had the same capability, I'd be starting that project instead of our 7.

I have some friends who will fly aerobatics in their Navions with 2 in the front, none in the back, and use it for XC flights fully loaded. If the RV10 had the same capability, I'd be starting that project instead of our 7.

I have an 8 and building a 10. I wouldn't consider selling my 8 to have the ability to go have fun. However if the 10 could do aerobatics I might consider using the 8 to fund the 10.

Keep the wing struts.... They make the wing install easy and simple, and keeps them light.

Folding wings are also possible with the support of wing struts. I think Van's will go with folding wings. And I think it will be done better than KF.

Back