What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV15 at Oshkosh

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
So I snuck over to the Vans booth tonight and as I approached I was excited to see an all metal, high wing, taildragger next to the tent! Alas, as I got closer it turned out to belong to the Rans tent next door. ( Vans next to Rans....that won't be confusing)

Doh! Don't get me wrong, the Rans Outbound is a nice plane, and I'd consider building one. But really looking for a 4 place high wing taildragger. Oh well, my wife will be happy.

Merger

Having been thru a few mergers where we took over other people’s designs, its hard to know where the skeletons are in the closet. A merger comes with the good and the bad; unfortunately the bad (design flaws) are frequently never disclosed.

My last job in the semiconductor industry was mergers & acquisitions, usually in the hundreds of $millions, but one that was over $2 billion.

That was at a time where the valuation per patent or per engineer was about $10 million, because most of the companies were pre-revenue. The big one was a publicly traded NASDAQ listed microprocessor company, with revenue.

What drove the acquisitions was either a need for technology (in this case, networking semiconductors), or aggregation of revenue (such as the public company), or both.

It is tough to see any M&A in the kitplane business as more than an asset sale (depreciated value of plant, equipment and inventory). Works if you need to expand manufacturing capacity, or if there is a product that fits a gap in the product line.

Ironically, Vans is experience record sales volumes and there is a hole in their product line (*cough RV-15 cough*).

V

edit: John's comments are spot on. You have to pan a lot of gravel to get a bit of gold.

Maybe you are to something here !

Just maybe! Noticed ****Greg: "See you there! We'll cover - at least at a very high level - a number of things we've been working on" Notice the TEASER: "HIGH" as in High Wing. And where is Vans Area 51B? Could it be in Kansas with the Rans development of the S-21 OUTBOUND. Not merger but maybe a Joint Development Plan of a new product and Distribution? Just sayin. :cool: Rans WEBSITE: S-21 Outbound Tail# N215RD 215 Research & Development. Maybe its diplayed next to Vans for a reason??

Last edited:
Just maybe! Noticed ****Greg: "See you there! We'll cover - at least at a very high level - a number of things we've been working on" Notice the TEASER: "HIGH" as in High Wing. And where is Vans Area 51B? Could it be in Kansas with the Rans development of the S-21 OUTBOUND. Not merger but maybe a Joint Development Plan of a new product and Distribution? Just sayin. :cool: Rans WEBSITE: S-21 Outbound Tail# N215RD 215 Research & Development. Maybe its diplayed next to Vans for a reason??

Umm. No. :)

Back