What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI back up power (concept)

togaflyer

Well Known Member
So this was a discussion I had with a buddy over breakfast regarding back up power for an electronic ignition. Off the shelf TCW has their backup battery, so this is about an inexpensive alternative. So the concept is:

Purchase a Dewalt 12 volt power station dock.

Wire it to a two position toggle switch so you can select normal power (also wired to the switch) or emergency power (comes from a Dewalt 12 volt 5 ah battery).

Mount the battery docking station in an accessible location for easy access so you can remove to recharge or check on the charge level (since the battery has a built in indicator).

TCW has a 3ah backup for 260 dollars. You could install a 5ah Dewalt backup for under 100 dollars. And since it is accessible and removable you could carry an extra battery and swap it out with a fresh one.

Really couldn’t come up with a negative issue other then forgetting the battery is there and not checking the charge level. In some ways I think it provides even more redundancy since, theoretically, you could maintain a power source to the EI by replacing the system with a spare fully charged Dewalt battery.

I have measured the total system draw of a single SDS CPI system at 1.69 amps. Thats at 2700 RPM and 6 cylinders. Thats a pretty modest load, and there is a vast selection of low cost, lightweight industrial batteries that will supply spark for far longer than the fuel holds out. Easiest "emergency" power source is the existing ships battery. Just have a switch that is wired to hot in case you need to shut down the master in flight. Now if you think you are going to loose an alternator AND your battery in the same flight (besides having a very, very bad flying day), there are second battery options available that are simpler, lower cost and more robust than the Dewalt scheme. There is also the very light weight Monkworks pad mounted generator if you really need a robust way to keep the engine running indefinately.

Easiest "emergency" power source is the existing ships battery. Just have a switch that is wired to hot in case you need to shut down the master in flight.

Even better, don't power an ignition via the main bus. Wire it battery direct.

...there are second battery options available that are simpler, lower cost and more robust than the Dewalt scheme.

Agree. Power draw is very small, as Mike illustrates. The EDIS-based system on my 4-cyl only pulls 1.08 amp at 2700. So, exceeding fuel capacity driving one ignition, even with the main battery and alternator both offline, only requires 4, maybe 5ah. That's just a small bike battery or similar. And it can be wired to remain charged without remembering anything, with a charge warning, and a push-to-test voltage indication under load.

Attachments

• Dual EI Wiring w Warning.jpg
    Dual EI Wiring w Warning.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IGN Volts Check.jpg
    IGN Volts Check.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 144
Even better, don't power an ignition via the main bus. Wire it battery direct.

Agree. Power draw is very small, as Mike illustrates. The EDIS-based system on my 4-cyl only pulls 1.08 amp at 2700. So, exceeding fuel capacity driving one ignition, even with the main battery and alternator both offline, only requires 4, maybe 5ah. That's just a small bike battery or similar. And it can be wired to remain charged without remembering anything, with a charge warning, and a push-to-test voltage indication under load.

My friend's RV-10 has dual Lightspeeds powered by independent circuits wired directly to the main batteries (one on each battery). There are two circuit breakers in the back by the battery in case of a short in one of the wires, but other than that, the ignitions are always hot. Well, not technically hot, but always have power.

Last edited:
If it’s a new build I can see that configuration. But on a single battery set up on a flying plane, just kicking around a keep it simple set up.

If it’s a new build I can see that configuration. But on a single battery set up on a flying plane, just kicking around a keep it simple set up.

The illustrated second battery system for IGN#2 was in fact added to an already flying airplane when it was converted from Slicks.

Other than the BMS, what does it have over a 60 dollar 5ah Dewalt 12 volt battery?

I suspect the battery portion is manufactured with a higher quality margin. All Lithium batteries are not the same. It also can self regulate charging input and will provide cautions if there is a malfunction.
One thing that should be mentioned is other EarthX batteries due not regulate charging input and need to be sized to the alternator.

This is a truly bad idea for less than obvious but well discussed reasons; the relative safety associated with the different chemistries.

Assuming the DeWalt is LIon = potential for runaway thermal events. Fires and aircraft are a bad combo. Very low probability, very high consequence.

The Life chemistry of the referenced purpose made batteries has a different catastrophic failure mode but one that is fairly easily managed.

No thanks for the drill battery approach for me.

TCW has been making backup batteries for quite some time and I’ve installed many, never heard of any problems. May cost a little more but it works well for it’s intended function.

Lots of good stuff here regarding EI and Battery backups.

Back up batteries have a human risk factor we need to keep in mind. They are kind of like checking the air pressure in your spare tire...never is not the right answer. Like the spare tire, they sit and do nothing for most of their lives. We forget they deteriorate over time.

It might be a good idea to place limitations on your backup batteries. Inflight test, Load Test every so often, replaced every so often. Etc. Dual EI really needs some thought put into this arena. A backup alternator gives relief from this human risk element of forgetting to check the backup battery and may be less weight and cost in the long run.

TCW has been making backup batteries for quite some time and I’ve installed many, never heard of any problems. May cost a little more but it works well for it’s intended function.

I agree completely. These TCW guys are much smarter than I am (not hard) and have designed their solution to handle things most of us have not even thought of. The instructions are very clear, professional, and updated regularly. They now have FAA certification for their products. Not saying that "FAA Certified" automatically means "good", but it shows a serious investment in time, and rigor in testing and documentation.

Here's a link to some of the documentation - I found it very impressive.

https://www.tcwtech.com/product/integrated-battery-back-up-system-ibbs/

Back