What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON DRX vs Stratux for IN

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
The Stratux I built went with the RV8 when I sold it so now I need something to show me ADS-B IN on my new plane. I have 1090 OUT covered with the new Garmin transponder but the previous owner bought the -OUT only version.

Has anyone used the DYNON DRX ($349)? I'm trying to decide if it's worth paying the extra $200 over the Stratux ($165). I don't really need the Stratux AHRS since I have the dual G5s and since neither of them will display on my Garmin 660 anyway I'll use it on my iPad with WingX or FltPlan Go.

Last edited:
AHRS not required

you can assemble the Stratux without the AHRS and save a bit.

Also, very cool new project if you install the Stratux-EU version (which works fine in US, both bands) --- https://github.com/TomBric/stratux-radar-display if you build it standalone, using a 2nd Raspberry Pi (zero is fine), then you can have bluetooth audio alerts of traffic. I have it working, although the voice quality of the alerts isn't great.

I had a Stratux that worked for a while then failed. Troubleshooted it, got it working again for a while...finally bought a Dynon. The Dynon has been more reliable for me. YMMV

Also, very cool new project if you install the Stratux-EU version (which works fine in US, both bands) --- https://github.com/TomBric/stratux-radar-display if you build it standalone, using a 2nd Raspberry Pi (zero is fine), then you can have bluetooth audio alerts of traffic. I have it working, although the voice quality of the alerts isn't great.

I knew that I didn't have to build it with AHRS but I didn't know about the EU software version, I'll look into that.

I had a Stratux that worked for a while then failed. Troubleshooted it, got it working again for a while...finally bought a Dynon. The Dynon has been more reliable for me. YMMV

Mine never failed but the Dynon looks interesting in a smaller package.

Disclaimer: I own a Stratux. I have no experience with the Dynon DRX.

If price was no factor and an AHARS was not needed the in the DRX is the clear choice. Nice small form factor, super long battery life, an on/off button. It has factory supported software, for me that is a slight positive, on the negative side updates will probably lag behind the software for the Stratux.

But, since price is always a factor, I don't see how the few advantages the DRX has over the Stratus justify spending over twice as much. Delete the battery and AHARS and you could probably build a Stratux for under to $150. Even if I won the lottery I cannot justify the extra +200.

I use the Stratux for Adsb in and power it through a usb plugged into my panel outlet. The Stratus also is hardwired to my two GRT EFIS’. Works great! Price was right.

I bought a Stratux but it failed after about a year. I just ordered the Dynon because all I need is ADSB in and the price is right. This will be my third portable ADSB receiver. I've gotten use to having traffic and two weather sources (XM and ADSB) and felt very nervous flying back from a long trip in busy airspace without it when my first unit failed. Wanted something more reliable. Ifly GPS use to market Stratux but discontinued the product. I think reliability was the issue. John

Last edited:
I'll echo some of the other sentiments - I've had a stratux wired into my RV for a few years now, providing weather and traffic to my IFD540. I heavily customized the software, since it sent a bunch of non-spec stuff over the serial port (stratux keep alives, stuff for wingx, etc.) and also had no prioritization for sending anything - it just sent everything it saw in the order it saw it, essentially. Lots of work to prioritize traffic over weather, then to prioritize weather such that the serial line wasn't completely swamped by data from 12 towers (not a problem on WiFi, but a problem on a 115kbps link).

The hardware started to flake out - it got to the point where the SDR would simply stop working after less than 30 minutes of flight time. Resetting it would get to work for another 3-4 minutes, but I decided I was done trying to make it work better.

I installed an echoUAT (in receive only mode) behind the panal and it just works. No heat issues and no software engineering exercises every time a new version of stratux comes out.

Bottom line: go for the DRX if you want to install it and forget about it.

Last edited:
I......I've had a stratux wired into my RV for a few years now, providing weather and traffic to my IFD540. I heavily customized the software, .........No heat issues and no software engineering exercises every time a new version of stratux comes out.

I think this is the complaint I hear the most, having to reprogram the Stratux and work out the bugs every time a new update comes along.

I avoided all of that by finding the software version that worked for my purpose THEN LEAVING IT ALONE no matter how many other versions came out, if they fixed things I didn't have problems with. "If it ain't broken don't fix it" was our mantra in the Air Force since day one.

Mine was working for many years until it went with the sale of my RV8 and now I have a used one that a VAF member sold me and it's been working fine, so for now STRATUX it is. Thanks for all the comments.

I think this is the complaint I hear the most, having to reprogram the Stratux and work out the bugs every time a new update comes along.

It wasn’t the software issues - very few of those actually once I had all my changes in. The software engineering exercises were more around contributing changes back and dealing with the community who ultimately have a different focus.

The thing that killed stratux for me was not only that but also hardware reliability. The SDRs start to flake out and I just got tired of having to replace them.

I agree with your approach - if you have a software image that works for your situation, don’t upgrade it.

The AHRS board also has a fan controller that modulates the speed with temperature, so there are other benefits to it. But yes, you can run the Stratux with a fan that just runs full time.

Also, very cool new project if you install the Stratux-EU version (which works fine in US, both bands) --- https://github.com/TomBric/stratux-radar-display if you build it standalone, using a 2nd Raspberry Pi (zero is fine)...
While the Stratux software *runs* on the PiZero, the EMI from the PiZero is... Significant. Many people have found that it overpowers GPS receivers, COM radios, etc. Not recommended. The Pi3B is already cheap, you're chasing false economy by using the Zero.

That's something I also did. I replaced the internal GPS with the external one giving me space to install and plug in the second fan, so no temp issues in my installation, even in the Texas summer heat.

Stratux GPS

Hi all
If anyone knows
Does Stratux need its own GPS ??
if you use it with Ipad and foreflight Ipad location is known from its GPS
or if it is connected to EFIS EFIS knows its location

Thank you

Back