What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank cal G3X

Chipper G

Well Known Member
Working on fuel tank cal on my 8 with the Vans fuel float resistive typ sending units and the right one is perfect no issues easy cal with the Garmin. The left tank shows .02volts and never moves. I disconnected the single wire and touched different parts of the plane and no change. I rang out the line and the #6 pin on the gea24 and we have continuity. Any suggestions

Run a jumper from the sensor wire on the "Bad" side over to the other sender. That should tell you if it is a connection or a sender problem.

I had bad readings on both sides when I installed mine. I bought my panel from SteinAir and they included a terrific harness. The wires to the senders are single strand, shielded. I didn't realize this and crimped my connector to the shield, not the center wire. One side only read 11.8v, one 0.004v, no matter how much fuel I put in.

I used a multimeter and checked the resistance, and found it was around 100 ohms, half full. Added a bit more, and resistance changed.

Cut off the connectors, re-stripped, re-crimped to the center wires with heat shrink around the ends of the shield. Works great now.

I tell you all of this because Garmin recommends shielded wires for senders. So, if you followed their instructions, or if your harness people did, you may have a short with the shield.

I had bad readings on both sides when I installed mine. I bought my panel from SteinAir and they included a terrific harness. The wires to the senders are single strand, shielded. I didn't realize this and crimped my connector to the shield, not the center wire. One side only read 11.8v, one 0.004v, no matter how much fuel I put in.

I used a multimeter and checked the resistance, and found it was around 100 ohms, half full. Added a bit more, and resistance changed.

Cut off the connectors, re-stripped, re-crimped to the center wires with heat shrink around the ends of the shield. Works great now.

I tell you all of this because Garmin recommends shielded wires for senders. So, if you followed their instructions, or if your harness people did, you may have a short with the shield.
This was 💯 my issue also. Rookie mistake! Thanks

Wow. I actually helped someone on this site on the first try! I'm becoming one of the seasoned people.....

Back