What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon altitude hold

redhawk

Well Known Member
Hey out there..
My Dynon Skyview autopilot in my 3B is acting up and won’t hold altitude (nor maintain a VS) for more than a few seconds before it starts hunting up and down.
Would like to hear from anyone who has had this issue and found a solution.
Thanks

Is this new behavior or has it always been this way? I have noticed if I move the aircraft within about 2 minutes of powering up the autopilot I have issues holding altitude. If it’s always been this way you probably need to adjust the autopilot settings. Someone with a RV3 might speak up with settings to use as a start point. If not RV4 settings might be a good start point.

Not sure about the Skyview, but My AFS setup includes Dynon autopilot and servos. You can download the AFS manuals and they provide a great troubleshooting matrix for exactly your problem.

could it be that you have the sensitive setting too high? I think you have that option.
Check it.

Thanks Carl !

Your welcome.

A failed shear screw may or not be your problem. I had a Dynon shear screw fail a few years ago, on the SV-32 pitch servo in my RV-8.

Per Dynon, they adopted a new design shear screw that was available late in the 1st quarter of 2017. It was a redesign due to a premature fatigue failure of the old design screw during normal use.

I called Dynon after verifying the shear screw had failed and they quickly sent replacement shear screw kits gratis (including one for the roll servo for if/when it fails). The kit includes the shear screw, an Allen wrench, a cotter pin, thread locker, and instructions for replacement.

Back