What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Autopilot and LPV Approach

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
I have a new to me RV14 with dual Dynon Touch installed along with the Dynon autopilot and panel control panel.

I had a Garmin 175 WASS GPS installed last week. When I fly the coupled approach, it starts out great brings the plane down and centered up. The last mile it starts to drift to the right hand side about one dot by missed approach DH.

Can anyone tell me if that is an autopilot adjustment?

Updated the screens recently? Look into Dynons new autopilot tuning guide. It is quite detailed now.

I have a new to me RV14 with dual Dynon Touch installed along with the Dynon autopilot and panel control panel.

I had a Garmin 175 WASS GPS installed last week. When I fly the coupled approach, it starts out great brings the plane down and centered up. The last mile it starts to drift to the right hand side about one dot by missed approach DH.

At DH on a 200' min approach, one dot is probably just the wingspan or less. My guess is that the sensitivity can be dialed up just a bit to track better, but need to see if it becomes too sensitive and over reacts in other areas. The CDI gets more sensitive as you get closer and this is probably just beyond the reach of the AP's sensitivity setting once you get to DH.

Last edited:
At DH on a 200' min approach, one dot is probably just the wingspan or less. My guess is that the sensitivity can be dialed up just a bit to track better, but need to see if it becomes too sensitive and over reacts in other areas. The CDI gets more sensitive as you get closer and this is probably just beyond the reach of the AP's sensitivity setting once you get to DH.

That close in, you could easily be seeing wind changes from the 1000' AGL point to the ground level.

where is the antenna installed? Does it always deflect to one side? Could it be in the wing tip and that is the cause?

LPV or LNAV/ VNAV

An LPV approach gets increasingly sensitive, then becomes linear as you pass
the threshold.
An LNAV/ VNAV are less sensitive, and linear throughout the approach course.
Have you tested if there is a differens in the autopilot behavior flying different types of approaches.
If the behavior is different I would try to reduce gain, making it less sensitive.

Good Luck

First make sure you are updated to the latest software revision for your screens. Next get the latest autopilot tuning guide and go through the whole tuning procedure. I had problems with my autopilot after Revision 16 that updated some of the autopilot software. Running to tuning guide fixed everything.

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback.

Running current software always goes to the right antenna is on the glareshield. Only approaches are GPS

Back