What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pairing MGL N16 with G5 HSI

SwimmingDragonfly96

Well Known Member
Hello,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I am putting a dual G5 with GNC355 system into my RV7a currently equipped with trutrak gemini autopilot. I would also like to add VOR capability to my g5 hsi, and I have purchased an MGL N16/razor combo to add to the existing MGL V16 comm and MGL Vega head.

My question comes from providing nav info to the g5 via rs232 with an SL30 protocol. The g5 requires a connection to the 355 via the sole rs232 on the g5, how can I also feed info from the nav source to the g5 via rs232? There are 2 g5s, do I connect one to the gnc355 and the other to the razor and let them work it out over canbus? Do I splice it all into the same port?

Apologies for ignorance, I am as green as it gets behind the ears when it comes to avionics.

I am no expert at this but I suspect adding a DP switch would allow you to select between the input source to the G5.

Last edited:
The G5 installation manual includes a sample interconnect diagram showing how to connect the G5 and GAD 29 to a GNX 375 (or GNC 355) and an SL30... that should give you everything you need.

GAD 29

As far as I understand it, connecting two G5 and a GNC355 requires a GAD29.
The GNC355 outputs it's NAV-data via ARINC to the GAD29. The GAD29
converts the ARINC GPS NAV-data to the CAN-bus format and is then forwarded to both G5.
The G5 has only one (1) input for RS232 and this is used for map-MX
from the GNC355. It seems to me that the map-MX must be connected to both G5, but it's best to ask Garmin.
The only way to present VOR/LOC/GS to the G5 would then be via the GAD29.
However the GAD29 only accepts ARINC-signal, not RS232.
As I understand it, the MGL N16/razor combo communicates via RS232.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-10_28.pdf?download=true
http://www.accelerationtech.com/photos/mooney/2652W/GNC-355/190-02207-A5_01.pdf

Good luck

The G5 installation manual includes a sample interconnect diagram showing how to connect the G5 and GAD 29 to a GNX 375 (or GNC 355) and an SL30... that should give you everything you need.

Hey Matt (or anyone else),

Finally found this in the non-certified G5 manual. It says if I have two G5s, to connect the G5 PFD to the SL30 Tx, and both the Tx/Rx of the HSI, which is a bit confusing. Does this mean SL30 Tx --> G5 PFD RS232 Rx, G5 PFD RS232 Tx --> G5 HSI Rx, G5 HSI Rx --> SL30? Seems like external GPS takes care of whatever the GNC355 was supposed to feed the G5 via RS232.

Thanks!

Amir

Give Adam at Midwest Panel Builders a call. Super nice guy. He’s an MGL dealer and guru on interfacing MGL and Garmin equipment. If what you’re trying to do can be done, he’ll be able to to it. I’m sure he can also mak a harness for you if you need him to.

Last edited:
Amir,

Wiring in this fashion should do the trick for a G5 system with a SL-30, a GNC 355, and a GAD-29.

G5 to SL30 and GNC355.png

The GNC-355 MapMX signal does not need to be wired to either G5 RS-232 for this installation. It is always a good idea to connect a GPS antenna to the G5 PFD.

Steve

The OP contacted me by PM on this question yesterday and I shared a web page that I put together from my experience with my own installation of a GPS175, an MGL N16/V16 (as SL30) with Dynon HDX and Garmin G5. Anyone else who is interested is welcome to check it out.

https://clapit.icu/avionics/

One thing that I did not implement that likely could be done was ADC data via ARINC from the G5 (via GAD29) back to the GPS as standby EFIS air data. If I were to have a Skyview failure, the GPS would not have an air data source.

Back