What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat upholstery recommendations

KLOU

I'm New Here
Hello all!
I’m a about 1 year out from completion of a QB 7A. I’ve been on numerous aviation seat and interior websites. I would appreciate some first hand experience and knowledge with whoever you used to upholster your seats, upholster meaning leather or synthetic leather. Thanks in advance.

I went with Flightline Interiors for my seats (fabric, Van's foam), armrests and the tip up rain shield. Abby wasn't doing side panels at that time so I got some form Cleaveland Tools that color matched very well. I'm pleased.

Alternative

As an alternative to consider other than the usual aviation folks, I used a local hot rod upholstery shop. They custom designed a pattern to match my paint design and did great work.

Leather all the way for me. Comfortable, very durable, and clean up really well. I had Abby at Flight Interiors re-do my seat just recently. She did the seats for the original builder 11 years ago. The were very well done, but I didn’t care for the style and the foam was getting old. Very pleased with the price and the workmanship, but note that, like most of the upholstery places, the waiting list is long.

I used Abby to do my leather seats on custom formed Oregon Aero foam. Both were excellent IMO. All seats hurt my back, but OA has an house ergonomics expert and she was a tremendous help in the reforming specifications. I tested them at home with 4 hr stints over 2 months. 9 hour flight days yield no issues!!

My 10Friend used an automotive prototype house in Ohio and his came out perfect.

I can not claim they are "the best" as they are my only experiences. I am picky, though, and would certainly recommend Abby.

I used Classic Aero Designs. Seats look good and are very comfortable, and there are many options to customize the seat to your liking. Frankly, they're more comfortable on a long trip than either of my cars. A buddy with an RV-7 has had similar experiences with the same supplier, and his plane has been flying since 2008. His plane still has that new leather smell when you open the canopy.

I used Classic Aero Designs. Seats look good and are very comfortable, and there are many options to customize the seat to your liking. Frankly, they're more comfortable on a long trip than either of my cars. A buddy with an RV-7 has had similar experiences with the same supplier, and his plane has been flying since 2008. His plane still has that new leather smell when you open the canopy.
Dittos for Classic Aero.

Napa leather in all seating surfaces , synthetic leather side panels , diamond pleated. Lemke Upholstery Germany …Wow

I used Flight Line interiors and am very happy. I chose them because my hangar neighbor had they interior and it looks great.

Used Classic Aero as well. Luke and Jeremiah were awesome to work with. Four years and 400 hundred hours - interior still looks and smells new.

Additionally- Classic Aero is a long time advertiser on VAF - so they invest some of their profits in helping keep this valuable forum alive.

Classic Aero did great for my RV-6 refurb.

- mark

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 94
Vans foam?

Are most folks using the Vans foam or something else by the company that is doing the upholstery work?

I think most people use foam supplied by the upholstery people. When I ordered my seats from Flight Line Interiors I just picked out the material and colors and pattern and Abby made the seat, they fit perfectly.
I've seen interiors from all the major suppliers of interiors and they all do a great job.

Another vote for Classic Aero. Color matched my paint perfectly... including the pads on my Hooker harnesses.

5+ years and still looks like new.

Lemke

`Sheepskin seats and interior package from Lemke. Super comfortable in warm and cold temps. Love it!
20220924-162736.jpg

+1 Flightline Interiors

+1 for Flightline Interiors.
Leather seats with two colors, custom logo, side panel inserts, pockets and armrests that fit perfectly. Seats were built up with different layers of foam with the top being memory foam. Super comfortable; 4:30 hour flight has been my longest with no hot spots found on front or rear seats. Abby helped with the colors and leather choices and she installed the seat bottom and back heaters that I had purchased from Flyboys. She also provided stick boots for front and back with matching leather. 7 years and 500+ hours later they still look new. About half the price that Oregon Aero quoted for the same or better quality IMHO.

Attachments

• AED6B632-F599-46E1-B2DE-2E79AD423613.jpg
    AED6B632-F599-46E1-B2DE-2E79AD423613.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 77
Back