What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D printed Center Console Accessory

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
So my buddy at work comes through again with his engineering design prowess. This one was a little tougher than the EarthX battery cap, but came out great.

I always end up trying to find cup holders in the car to hold my phone and wallet so I decided on the RV10 to design a 3D printed insert for the center console to hold an iPad mini in an otterbox case and two cell phones (or 1 phone and a wallet). In front of the slot are going to be the left and right seat heat switches and a USB port. Will keep the engine control knobs on the center console.

I imagine my friend at work would be fine with sharing the file again if someone is interested, but he tells me printing on the angle and finishing the top was a bit harder than he expected and more labor intensive.

Attachments

• A95A9DA1-6910-4E86-8560-B3BA412D7D61.jpg
    A95A9DA1-6910-4E86-8560-B3BA412D7D61.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 0BD907D4-642D-4D3F-85AA-9A5E3FAD8048.jpg
    0BD907D4-642D-4D3F-85AA-9A5E3FAD8048.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 286
  • BE0BDC57-4F35-4D4C-93EE-E6678BAFD3CF.jpg
    BE0BDC57-4F35-4D4C-93EE-E6678BAFD3CF.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 278
Manual Turbulence Test

How easily can they be dislodged in manually-simulated turbulent flight? Looks like a great idea.

How easily can they be dislodged in manually-simulated turbulent flight? Looks like a great idea.

We did a couple initial prints of the curved surface which is what we used for a cutting template. That part was pretty easy and simple to print those if desired. The dimensions are straight forward.

He said the print was a bit difficult on his machine due to the curves. I don’t think he would be against doing more, but he was not interested in making a bunch and I would ask that he be compensated well. I personally gave him a couple hundred for his design work and printing. If you really want one printed send me a PM and I can help work details.

I assume you mean the phone and iPad not coming out due to turbulence. The phones sit pretty deep and I wouldn’t worry. The iPad can’t sit too deep since I left 1-1/2 inches of space underneath the tray for wiring that sits above the metal cover of the airframe center tunnel. Any sever turbulence would likely knock it out, but I don’t plan on ever getting into that if it can be helped.

Also, made the bottom of the tray bright orange so any small objects dropped inside can be found and recovered.

Attachments

• 9042D36A-7C51-4754-A678-4A8CA206CB89.jpg
    9042D36A-7C51-4754-A678-4A8CA206CB89.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 144
  • CE7457C8-199B-4E82-A44B-42535375B494.jpg
    CE7457C8-199B-4E82-A44B-42535375B494.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 161
Same on 'would like the file' (whether I get to use it or not).

I really like this solution. I don't plan the center console throttle quadrant, but really like the looks of it this model compared to the square 'box' model. This is an elegant solution to use that quadrant space. Aerosport should buy the design and implement it as an option in lieu of the quadrant at that location!

Same on 'would like the file' (whether I get to use it or not).

I really like this solution. I don't plan the center console throttle quadrant, but really like the looks of it this model compared to the square 'box' model. This is an elegant solution to use that quadrant space. Aerosport should buy the design and implement it as an option in lieu of the quadrant at that location!

Funny part is that I actually spoke with Will at Aerosport Products a little about the concept while discussing the center panel adaptor they sell for the T/P/M cables (the ones that provide a good mount on the 310 panel). He mentioned that 95% of the 310 panels / center consoles they sell use the center console throttle quadrant, so not much of a market remaining for something like this apparently. But good for anyone who likes the increased precision of Vernier controls on the panel.

So just to confirm, your insert takes the place of where the throttle quadrant would normally go? Also, do you find that the armrest portion sits up high enough that it actually functions well as an armrest? There’s someone else that makes a center console, but their armrest appears to sit up higher. I’m wondering which one is more comfortable/functional??

So just to confirm, your insert takes the place of where the throttle quadrant would normally go? Also, do you find that the armrest portion sits up high enough that it actually functions well as an armrest? There’s someone else that makes a center console, but their armrest appears to sit up higher. I’m wondering which one is more comfortable/functional??

Can't speak to the armrest height since mine isn't installed yet. The console comes as a solid sheet of carbon fiber in that spot from aerosport. This insert can be cut into that face and used, but it can't be used if you have the center throttle quadrant installed as well since it does not have enough room for both.

Can't speak to the armrest height since mine isn't installed yet. The console comes as a solid sheet of carbon fiber in that spot from aerosport. This insert can be cut into that face and used, but it can't be used if you have the center throttle quadrant installed as well since it does not have enough room for both.

Roger that. Like others, I’m also interested in one of your inserts. I’ll send a PM to you with my contact information. Thanks!

Back