What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spin a wind app on Iphone

glen25781

Hey guys,

Just bought this app since so many people including airline pilots said it was great for those gusty crosswind days. It looks wonderful except for the fact that there are no directions or help manual that tell you how to use it or even how to input the airport you are planning to land at.

Anyone have any info on how to use this?

Glen
RV6A N447BD
Destin, Fl

You don’t input the airport…there’s no database for that. You have to look up the airport, input the runway you’re interested in, then input wind direction and wind speed, and it will tell you your crosswind component for that runway. If you want it to tell you which runway would be best, input the wind speed and direction, then spin the runway dial until you find the least amount of crosswind component.

IMHO, it’s not a hugely valuable app if you use Foreflight or similar.

You don’t input the airport…there’s no database for that. You have to look up the airport, input the runway you’re interested in, then input wind direction and wind speed, and it will tell you your crosswind component for that runway. If you want it to tell you which runway would be best, input the wind speed and direction, then spin the runway dial until you find the least amount of crosswind component.

Or if you are familiar with the unit circle learned in trig…oh wait, that’s probably not taught anymore…

Or if you are familiar with the unit circle learned in trig…oh wait, that’s probably not taught anymore…

I remember having to draw wind triangles to determine true course as part of aviation ground school back in 1967. I don’t recall whether or not my trusty E6B was allowed at the exam.

Doesn't sound very impressive to me. In FF, you just go to the runway tab and it shows both the headwind component and the cross wind component for each runway based upon metar data.

Doesn't sound very impressive to me. In FF, you just go to the runway tab and it shows both the headwind component and the cross wind component for each runway based upon metar data.

It’s not impressive at all, and IMHO rendered even more pointless if you have Foreflight, which I do.

Here you go!

Ah yes, the famous Unit Circle...

Unit-circle.png

Aeroweather app gives a nice graphical representation of the airport runways and crosswind components based on the actual weather. Pretty good. The mental clock code (quarter, half, 3/4 for 15, 30, 45) is a handy in the air quickie too.

Wind aid

I have a simple app called wind aid, had it for years, select runway and wind speed and direction and it gives the components. Easy to use and read but as suggested above most pilot apps like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot etc give you the data and suggest the optimal runway selection, and devices like the aera 760 do the same thing in real time as you are flying.
Figs

Back