What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Scanner rec

gyoung

Well Known Member
Now that I've been playing with my 3D printer, I'm thinking a 3D scanner could be a useful addition. The only thread I've found on here is from 2009 and my research so far hasn't been hopeful for a hobbyist priced portable scanner. At this point I'm more interested in being able to scan a surface so i can design a 3D part to fit it rather than to replicate an object. That leaves out the turntable types or similar fixed mount. Does anyone have experience with them and any recommendations? Maybe I've just got champagne taste on a beer budget but what I think I want appears to be multiple AMU's at best. Or has the pricing just not reached the hobby level? Thanks.

I have not tried it, but Polycam seems like one option that's pretty cheap.

Take a look at "Revopoint Pop 2". I recently purchased one for some projects we are working on. It seems promising. It comes with a turn table and tripod, but can also be used in hand held mode.

I have experience with the hobby level Scan Lizard by Creality. They promised me the world....

I find it really sucks, most of the time. In the end it is not worth the effort of dragging the laptop with me, and managing cords. Too much headache to then get a worthless scan.

I would say you can get equivalent results with a smartphone and some decent photogrammetry software, for basically free.

I am no expert, as I became quickly frustrated with the device, and decided old school techniques were quicker in the long run.

Take a look at "Revopoint Pop 2". I recently purchased one for some projects we are working on. It seems promising. It comes with a turn table and tripod, but can also be used in hand held mode.

I didn't realize it had a handheld mode since all the pics seem to show the tripod. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it had a handheld mode since all the pics seems to show the tripod. Keep us posted on how it works out.

I tried it briefly when I got it. I scanned the little head figure they send (probably not a very good real world test) just sweeping the scanner with my hand. It worked well for that.

It will probably be at least a month before I start the project I got it for. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scanners are relatively cheap. Expensive is the software that converts the scanner output file to something you can edit; STEP, IGES, etc. Last time I checked, the software cost more than the scanner.

If all you want to do is recreate by 3d printing fairly exactly what you scanned, then you don't need that conversion software. But typically the scans aren't good enough to use as-is.

Last edited:
I think if you understand the limitations of these scanners they can be useful. For my project I think it will save a considerable amount of work. Here is a test scan imported as an STL file into Solidworks.

Attachments

• revo.png
    revo.png
    881.5 KB · Views: 175
Back