What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLEDs 3D printed case

Foghorn

Well Known Member
Has anyone had luck printing the box for the FlyLEDs "The Works" circuit board? I downloaded it and the first print was about the size of a stamp. The second print was about 3" x 1.5". Paul sent me and email saying that the original designer "Jim" said you have to upscale the size 2450%. Say what?? When I do that it's clearly to BIG for the circuit board.

Has anyone been successful 3D printing the box with that file? If you have can you please share your setting for printing.

The file can be found at this link. Scroll down to and look for the 3D case.

Thanks,

Scale factor

I am thinking that it may be a scale factor issue. Are you using a 24.5 scale factor? I have seen the mm/inches scale referred to as 2540%. I have not printed this one - just offering something to check into.

1in = 25.4mm
Consumer grade printers assume models are made in mm. If the model was made in inches you have to scale up by 25.4 (2540%)

Thanks gents.

I opened it in Tinkercad and that appears to be the correct size. I’ll try it again.

It needs to be scaled up as others have said. I still couldn't get it to print as is on my table. A buddy split it into 2 separate files (top and bottom) and it worked well.

I got it to work, but i had someone do it for me. Fits perfectly. You do have to scale it up.

I also had the file sent to on online shop who printed one.

I'd need to confirm exactly what we scaled it to.

I scaled it up to 2450 and it looks right now. I’m printing it at the local library (free service) and the print time Saturday would have taken me past closing time. Although I did let the base print before canceling. I’ll try again on Monday.

The online place we sent it to was Shapeways. If you send them the file, they'll print it and ship it right to you.

I don't know what they charge b/c someone (really nice) did it for me.

3d file

Anyone happen to have a 3d printer file for the Flyleds original?

Opted to go with the original, and install quads in the leading edges.

Thanks

Back