What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printers

gyoung

Well Known Member
I've wanted a 3D printer to play with for some time but never had enough of an excuse to get one. Now I do so I'm on the hunt. I know there are a bunch of you using them but I couldn't find any threads on recommended printers. If there is I'd appreciate a link. If not, what do you recommend for a serious hobbyist to get started?

My excuse is way off the RV path. I'm starting a top overhaul on a 125 Warner radial for a 1940 Rearwin Cloudster I'm restoring. I will need cover plates to protect the rods when I remove the cylinders and to seal the crankcase so I can paint it. There are some other cover plates I'll need as well. I'm sure it would be more cost effective to draw them up and get someone else to print them but what's the fun in that? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220529_003158599_iOS.jpg
    20220529_003158599_iOS.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I looked around at a lot of the printers when I decided to get one a couple of years ago. I wanted something that I wouldn't have to fiddle with too much--as turnkey as possible, that didn't require too much fiddling to get to work properly, as I intended to use it to make parts and tools, not as a major hobby in itself.

I ended up getting a Prusa i3Mk3s+ kit. You can buy them pre-assembled, but at a premium, and the kit is priced such that it comes in under the limit for paying customs duty. The kit took a couple of hours to assemble, but in doing so, I have a lot better understanding of the inner workings of the printer, and how to troubleshoot and repair it if necessary.

So far, I haven't had any major problems with it. I can definitely recommend it. Its print volume isn't as large as some other printers, but it's big enough (210x210x210mm).

The Prusa-supplied slicing software is really good and knows a lot about the printer itself, so you don't have to spend a ton of time configuring it.

https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-i3-mk3s-kit-3/

I have already used it to print a number of jigs, tools, and parts that have helped me in building my RV-10.

Oh, also, I use a Raspberry Pi and Octoprint to control and monitor the printer.

Last edited:
I purchased the Prusa i3Mk3s+ about a year ago and have been extremely happy with it. I had no real "need" for a printer, but I figured it made perfect sense to spend $800 on a printer so I could make 50 cent parts whenever I want. Perfectly logical. It still blows me away that I can create complex parts and just print them at home with amazing quality. At this point I often use the printer to make a lot of things that I could absolutely make with other materials, but I do them on the printer as a way to learn what works and doesn't work (as well as to learn Fusion 360). Case in point, not too long ago I got tired of misplacing my drill and wanted to hang it on my french cleat system. I could have just throw a piece of wood up on the cleat like all of my other tools, but it was a chance to learn a new skill on 360 and play with some more printer settings.
20220402_205046.jpg

Thanks. The Prusa i3Mk3s+ is one that I've been considering. It's great to hear of two good experiences with it.

another happy Prusa user here

Hi Greg,

I'm using two printers of the Prusa MK3 family too (one MK3 and one MK3S MMU2) and am very happy with them. Once properly set up they're super reliable and the fact that Prusa provides well-tuned printing profiles for many (mainstream) materials is very helpful, especially if you want to use it for producing parts.

As with any tool there's a bit of a learning curve (how to get a good first layer, keeping the bed clean, how to get a good first layer again...) but with a bit of patience and curiosity it's fairly easy to get started.

There are cheaper (the whole Ender series from China and its many clones) and pricier but more polished (i. e. Ultimaker) options, since I don't have any personal experience with those though.

A couple of things to consider:

how big to you need your printed parts to be? In most cases it's easy to split bigger parts into smaller elements and even preferable to do so because some challenges are ampliefied with the size of the print (warping etc.)

as 1001001 said, octoprint with a camera is awesome, once set up you can slice your part and send it right to the printer with the click of a button.

Especially for bigger parts some kind of enclosure might be helpful, warping is reduced if the printer operates in a nice and balmy environment.

Keeping your filament dry (I store eveything in a sealed box with some desiccant) is always a good idea.

PrusaSlicer has gotten awesome. I have used Simplify3d in the past, since PrusaSlicer introduced the possibility to save your whole printjob (the parts on the buildplate, the print settings, manual modifications...) into one file I've been using it pretty much exclusively though. Cura (by the Ultimaker guys and gals) seems to be a great tool too, availability of different open source options is really sweet.
Regardless of which slicer you choose, get to know your print settings, modifiers etc., they're gret tools of optimization.

One last thing:
At least some basic knowledge of solid 3d-modelling is essential. I believe there's still some rebate through EAA on a SolidWorks product, alternatives are Fusion 360, Onshape etc.
The saying "to the guy holding a hammer everything looks like a nail" is certainly true here, there are so many little holders, jigs, boxes which can be drawn up in a couple of minutes and be ready for use quickly.

I've had a Prusa since the MK2 came out, it's been upgraded as far as I think makes economic sense and is now a "MK2.5" I guess. The MK3 would be my choice if buying today.

I've used an Ultimaker before (hate, hate, hate the glass bed and bodun cable for the filament). We now have a Raise3D printer at work, and it's awesome, but it was $7K new. 300x300x300mm build volume though, and its enclosed so ABS prints nicely...

Voron 2.4

If you’re a tinkerer (and lot of us are…), the Voron should be considered. It is expensive and must be built piece by piece. I have been using mine for just over a year, and am pleased with it. I am using (now) the E3D Revo Micro hot end, Mainsail, Rasberry Pi 3B, and the Spider controller board. There is a LOT of tinkering with software settings, but once you get it set up, it works very well. The build volume is 14.5”x14.5”x14.5”. I have yet to find something that won’t fit. My previous printers were the Flashforge , and a Chinese piece of ###p I bought from Amazon. If you’re willing to put forth the effort, it will pay off. I am using SuperSlicer, which is a branch of PrusaSlicer. YMMV.

I'm new to 3D printing (6 months) and decided to go with the most turn-key options available - in hopes of achieving some degree of success. I did not attempt to purchase my last printer first - the industry is moving much too fast. So, I went with a Creality Ender 3 V2 Neo and am very happy with it.

Once you add in 3D modeling and the slicer software, the learning curve can be very steep (depending on your background). Thankfully, the Internet (YouTube) has a massive quantity of how to/help information.

Ender 3 or Prusa Mk3. That's what I would get for personal.

At school I teach with Ultimakers, most overpriced things...

I love my mk3+. I got mine assembled and it worked out of the box.
Prusa is coming out with a bigger printer. Looks great but its 2k

I'll join the train and add that I've been quite happy with my Prusa Mk3S+, too. I got the kit (end of 2021) and put it together over a weekend. The thing I love about it is IT JUST WORKS. There's no constant tweaking or fiddling. I've had no issues with it in the year and a half of ownership.

I've only printed with beginner friendly filaments (PLA and PETG). If you leave your plane out on the ramp in the summer, those might not do well due to the heat. I printed a few brackets for my car and they quickly sagged due to the heat in the summer. I recently bought the new Prusa enclosure in anticipation of printing with more advanced/smelly filaments like ASA.

I have a couple Prusa MK3S+ printers, which I still use, but my Bambu Lab X1C (or the cheaper P1P) blows the Prusa out of the water. It's about 3 times as fast with just as good print quality. The Prusa is a workhorse, but it's old technology and a bit overpriced for what you get compared to the Bambu Lab printers. They're as close to plug and play as you can get.
https://bambulab.com/en/x1

I appreciate all the feedback. Here's an update. I wound up going with the Prusa Mk3S+. I made all the covers for my Warner top o/h - all the blue in the pic. That was my original excuse for the printer. I've also built up a Lack enclosure and added a dryer (not pictured.) As expected, I've done lots of little projects I never imagined for myself and friends. Among them was printing master cylinders to let me mock up the brake pedals for a change to hydraulic brakes on my Rearwin. It's fun using new tech on a vintage aircraft.

Attachments

• 20220913_213608116_iOS.jpg
    20220913_213608116_iOS.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Printer enclosure.jpg
    Printer enclosure.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Rearwin brake pedal mock-up.jpg
    Rearwin brake pedal mock-up.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 159
Bambu Lab X1C or P1P. Blows the Prusa MK3S+ out of the water, and the Prusa blows the Ender & creality entry level printers out of the water. I have, and still use my Prusa printers, but my Bambu Labs X1C with a filament changer can do PLA, PETG, ABS, TPU, Carbon Fiber Nylon. It a core x-y printer, which is the new technology and prints about 3 times faster than my Prusa.

https://bambulab.com/en

recent suggestions?

Looking at buying myself a 3d printer for xmas. Not a techie but love learning new things and dont mind taking the time to get up to speed. Anyone buy one in the last few months and have a starter kit (brand, basic supplies, tips) they would mind sharing. Not even sure what i want to make but I keep seeing folks whip off cool little doo dads and seems it would be a fun and useful project. Open to tips and suggestions on what to buy, or what not to buy.

Looking at buying myself a 3d printer for xmas. Not a techie but love learning new things and dont mind taking the time to get up to speed. Anyone buy one in the last few months and have a starter kit (brand, basic supplies, tips) they would mind sharing. Not even sure what i want to make but I keep seeing folks whip off cool little doo dads and seems it would be a fun and useful project. Open to tips and suggestions on what to buy, or what not to buy.

The Prusa kit is the way to go for a beginner. You get to build it and it can print [most] of it's own replacement parts.

Temper your expectations a bit though, there is a lot to learn.

Not only with the software, but learning what materials work best in what environments and how to properly setup a temperature and humidity controlled environment for some of the more durable materials.

Printing takes a long time, 4-6 hours in most cases, and things can go wrong.

It's a lot of fun ... but the time it takes often isn't worth it ...

I ran a Prusa MK3s for several years. I wanted to add a 2nd printer to the fleet so I looked at other brands in due diligence. Bambu has impressive statistics for sure, but I decided against it in the end. They are a Chinese company and the printer are cloud connected. I'm not OK with that on my home network. They just had an issue where a bunch of customer printers starting printing all by themselves causing all kinds of problems.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/24/bambu_lab_3d_printer_crazy/

In the end, I purchased a Prusa MK4. I liked it so much, I sold my MK3s on eBay and bought a second Prusa MK4 and 2 of their enclosures. I couldn't be happier. It is a worthwhile upgrade.

Bambu Lab X1C or P1P. Blows the Prusa MK3S+ out of the water, and the Prusa blows the Ender & creality entry level printers out of the water. I have, and still use my Prusa printers, but my Bambu Labs X1C with a filament changer can do PLA, PETG, ABS, TPU, Carbon Fiber Nylon. It a core x-y printer, which is the new technology and prints about 3 times faster than my Prusa.

https://bambulab.com/en

This is going on my Xmas list. The X1C looks like it can do some amazing things and takes some of the pain that my Ender 3 gave me with print issues/failures.

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago - just wanted to kick the tires of 3D printing just for fun. I got the Prusa MK3S and have been very happy with it. It has worked flawlessly (I have had plenty of mistakes, but they've all been on my shoulders, not the machine). Because I like making things I can use in the shop and don't exist as designs anywhere, the biggest learning curve for me was finding and learning CAD software. If you just want to print designs that you pull off of the internet somewhere, 3D printing is easy. For me, the fun is in having a need and being able to design and have it in my hands in a few hours. Know the limits of the material, but it can be used in an amazing number of ways!

I started with a Prusa and it is a good basic printer. I recently bought a Bambu X1C with the AMS and it has worked great and prints much faster than the Prusa.

Parts

Does anyone have info or a link to the 3D printed holder for the Bose a20, that mounts in the Rv-10 console lid?

It held two Bose controllers and was mounted to the underside of the aerosport console lid.

This is going on my Xmas list. The X1C looks like it can do some amazing things and takes some of the pain that my Ender 3 gave me with print issues/failures.

The Bamboo labs P1P has great reviews for about 599. Likely as good as my Prusa mk3i.

Hey Bob,
That might of been my post "back in the day"

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=146444

1100hrs + I still use it and like it a lot.
I built it "old school" with balsa and foam.

Really would like a talented person to draw this up in CAD for a 3D printer.

ADCreHdUe798aw9czcu03JAVQEZYJ39yVWOIxro_OjqcgsC5W84e5IyvihUSPlh_FVBHHosOymeqj1rYu1byI5RB2LyoDIEYTRTwL5baPHo6TVmAz2cYEi6PVPtGPJ72xc5_UZbjjsZ0kKSWMH5dBOdWnZPs3A=w1100-h1100

ADCreHe45oVWvvGLHt3fwILlPubjUppIYS5J8g6lYi3aFwelktWLjfmmC2zdnms1dg33OZKAxCuOY30MKso0pBtkSLTge6N6CInlwNcyIJwBggFi0GLdTyvFBNdAFhNtRDBh0yl9J-pntMk-cD7oXwD0Dnljfg=w900-h1100

ADCreHdKAvf2wdcLmI0LrWcst6U-DlXQRnA2M1bIB-0LGZADP1Bz_meqIjHkKGcMAkurVyTASjc-eV_83iW4U4dSFPK2WwW-HLmaLRS_dZa5pWO5DA2qKhZIDfxYvuAl6YK8glkZhUA9oCtyL_Kqk6waQBp9lA=w900-h1100

Great idea but not the one I was trying to find. The one I am looking for was 3d printed and mounted on the inside of the console lid...

Thanks though!

I finally got the Prusa Mk4 that I ordered several months ago and I have to tell you that it is light years better than the Mk3S+ that it replaced.

First layer problems? Forgetaboutit.
Nozzle-swapping? Easypeasy
Fast printing? Yep. They programmed in the vibrations that occur when the print head moves back and forth to counteract the need to slow down the print head to compensate. If that isn’t high-tech, I don’t know what is.
Drag and drop printing from your computer over the network? Yep, no more sdcard sneaker-net.

Well worth it! Check their site for a list of improvements. I just touched on a couple here.

My dual head XL just showed up, and I will second all of those comments regarding improvements in this next generation of Prusa machines. I haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces but the little bit I have done is much more streamlined.

I finally got the Prusa Mk4 that I ordered several months ago and I have to tell you that it is light years better than the Mk3S+ that it replaced.

Fast printing? Yep. They programmed in the vibrations that occur when the print head moves back and forth to counteract the need to slow down the print head to compensate. If that isn’t high-tech, I don’t know what is.
Drag and drop printing from your computer over the network? Yep, no more sdcard sneaker-net.

Well worth it! Check their site for a list of improvements. I just touched on a couple here.

Bamboo Labs

I just bough an X1C from Bamboo this summer. This thing is absolutely amazing.
Almost Betty Crocker simple - If you want to get really good looking parts without tons of fiddling, this thing delivers.

I scratch built my first printer around 10 years ago, and had to cut my teeth hard on the technology to get good results.

You can compare these two machines like scratch building an RV3 versus a fast-build RV10....

I just bough an X1C from Bamboo this summer. This thing is absolutely amazing.
Almost Betty Crocker simple - If you want to get really good looking parts without tons of fiddling, this thing delivers.

I scratch built my first printer around 10 years ago, and had to cut my teeth hard on the technology to get good results.

You can compare these two machines like scratch building an RV3 versus a fast-build RV10....

Dang it, I have been trying to talk myself out of upgrading my 10 year old kit built printer, and trading up to a Bambu.

We have every printer at our company as we make the diamond nozzles for them. I personally own a Prusa (had it for 3+ years) but the Bambu's are just incredible for the money, ease of use and price point. Our favorite is still probably the Bambu X1 but for the hobbiests and money the new A1 is great with the 4 spools. Get a Bambu A1 or A1 mini if you just want to try it out.
If you want to jump in and get more serious, the CoreXY designs like the P1S or X1 from Bambu would be fun to play with.
We also have the K1 from Creality and while it is decent, the slicer is not as easy to use as Bambu.
I am hoping Bambu comes out with a larger format X1 Carbon this year.

There is little point buying an open-air bedslinger in 2024, as there is no point printing PLA for anything related to aviation or even shop/home use, except maybe multicolored toys (mind those toxic additives and colorants).

Quality of plastic stock has much greater impact on the quality and durability of the finished part than the printer used to extrude it. The best all-around engineering filament I found for FDM, and I tried a whole bunch of them, is Prusa's PCCF--when you can find it in stock! While not quite as temperature-tolerant as PA12, its superpower is that it has negligible creep, which makes it suitable for functional engineering parts that are under constant load.

You will need a quality setup to print it, though, as it's abrasive. Qidi X-Max/Plus 3 now come with heated enclosures, which will allow you to print large parts without warping/layer adhesion issues. I've been running Qidi's X-CF Pro for years now with abrasives and it's been a tank. The new ones run Klipper/Fluidd (open source, no uploads to "cloud" overseas) and are cheaper than Bambu to boot. Highly recommended.

I think Bob hit the nail on the head in post 17 above when he said,

"Temper your expectations, there's a lot to learn".

Truer words have never been posted on this forum. If you think you're going to pull this device out of the box, spend a couple of hours with it and start printing out masterpieces...you're wrong. Printing is relatively easy as long as you sent the machine up properly, use the right filament, temperature, etc. The main thing you need to master is the software. I use Solidworks and it's wonderful, but the learning curve is steep. There's not much it won't do and you can use it in an incredible number of ways. However, be prepared to spend a significant amount of time learning it.

Today, I'm somewhat versed in Solidworks and use it on occasion. Currently, I'm making molds for fiberglass parts (transition from square to round on RV-14 oil cooler) and have discovered that PVA filament is water soluble. You can make very complex shapes cover them with fiberglass and then just dissolve the mold. Very cool, but time consuming and expensive.

I have the CR-10 printer and it works OK. There are lots of issues and the print is sloooow. It also decides to get a mind of its own sometimes and 3 hours into a print, it will malfunction and you have to start over. Those who 3D print frequently know what I'm talking about.

My son recently bought a Carbon X1. The difference is hard to describe. Fast, great finish, no humidity issues to worry about, simple to set up and very forgiving. It is crazy good. I now use it and my CR-10 sits in a corner.

So, what's the point of the post? If you're thinking about purchasing a 3D printer, you need to be IT/computer savvy and be prepared to learn the software. If you have these skills, you can do wonderful things like posted in the picture(s) above. If not, you're going to spend a lot of time, money, and patience trying to manufacture something that could be carved out of foam or custom 3D printed. Translation: If you can't/don't know how to post pictures on this form, you're not qualified.

If you're still determined to go/learn 3D, by the best model you possibly can afford. Cheap stuff will impress you at first, but as soon as you learn what you're doing, you'll wish you'd have spent the additional money on a quality machine and software.

I bought a Bambu P1S for Christmas. It has been printing almost non stop since then. I have had one failed print but it was operator error. I didn’t think I would use the AMS but now I want another one.

My biggest complaint is that I am burning through filament at an incredible rate!

Highly recommended.

That's my experience as well. I upgraded my Mk3S+ to Mk3.9. It's a vast improvement. I may do the higher res stepper motors later to get to the full Mk4. They were out of stock when I ordered the upgrade. Maybe later but I'm happy with the 3.9.

Back