What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS B out question

N29945

I have an RV6A with a Garmin GTX327 Transponder that seems to work well however it is 20 years old, what are my best options for ADS B out, my avionics guy is not really sold on the tail beacon option.

Jim Skinner exempt but gladly contribute to the expenses of this organization, it is one of the best investments I make once a year.
It helps me make informed decisions

What's the opposition to the tail beacon? As long as you don't plan to fly outside the US it works fine. I have the nav light version on my wingtip and haven't had any problems, I know plenty of people that have them and haven't heard any complaints.

Best bang for the Buck

The GTX-327 transponder is a good unit. I suggest you keep it and install a GDL-82 ADS-B out. That's a pretty bullet proof combination. If you shop around, a new GDL-82 unit can be had for less than $1700. Install is not bad, just takes some time.
Second would be the Echo UAT with SkyFyx (uAvionics). The best way to install with the GTX-327 is the additional MUX cable, so it would be a bit more than the GDL-82 all-in, but the Echo/ SkyFyx includes ADS-B IN.

Last edited:
I just installed a GTX327 NEW unit. Had a King 76A with EchoUAT/ GRT SafeFly gps…..works well.

The 327 is a great unit. If you want some extra "IN" functions, like weather and traffic, consider the Echo Uat. It has WIFI out and you can also hardwire it to an EFIS.

We've done lots of setups like these in the RV's.

Vic

I have the GTX327 and tailbeacon combo. Works great, and it was an easy install.

I request PAPRs after most of my flights and have never seen any RED on them, so I know they're doing their jobs.

Back