What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closed Cell Foam for Top Cowl Governor Cover

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The plans call for "closed cell foam" (not included in kit) to be applied to the top cowl over the governor.

Since I threw away all the packing my avionics came with (this is what Van's suggests in the plans), a new source is needed.

What have you folks used?

Call Steinair and ask if they’ll send you some of the foam - if it is truly packing from avionics, I bet they have a bunch they throw away …. Just a guess!

The plans call for "closed cell foam" (not included in kit) to be applied to the top cowl over the governor.

Since I threw away all the packing my avionics came with (this is what Van's suggests in the plans), a new source is needed.

What have you folks used?
My question. What is the purpose of the foam if the 'panels" (glued in to the bottom of the front of the top cowl) are sealed (front sides, aft) and airtight?
Other than air escaping (to the high pressure area on top of the engine) through this "foamless" opening next to the governor, what trouble can be caused omitting this piece of foam?
Thanks in advance

My question. What is the purpose of the foam if the 'panels" (glued in to the bottom of the front of the top cowl) are sealed (front sides, aft) and airtight?
Other than air escaping (to the high pressure area on top of the engine) through this "foamless" opening next to the governor, what trouble can be caused omitting this piece of foam?
Thanks in advance

I wondered about this, too. Turns out, there is a big hole above the governor that would allow air to escape to the center of the engine over the governor if the foam were not there.

Thanks in advance

None
But any air not passing through the cyl fins when moving from the higher pressure in the upper plenum to the lower pressure in the lower part of the cowl, means degraded cooling performance.
Since the gov. Penetrates the fwd. baffle, any air that can flow along the length of the gov. is degrading engine cooling.

For those unfamiliar with the RV-14, this is one of those "picture worth a thousand words" moments.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_1367 Oct. 11 06.36.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1367 Oct. 11 06.36.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 130
  • ScreenHunter_1368 Oct. 11 06.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1368 Oct. 11 06.40.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 149
  • ScreenHunter_1369 Oct. 11 06.42.jpg
    ScreenHunter_1369 Oct. 11 06.42.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 167
Is the foam no longer included in the kit? Pretty sure it was in my kit, as I don’t remember having to find a source for it.

Is the foam no longer included in the kit? Pretty sure it was in my kit, as I don’t remember having to find a source for it.

Foam is not included in kit. Wish it was. Finding some not flammable or solvent proof is difficult.

Like Dan Said

For those unfamiliar with the RV-14, this is one of those "picture worth a thousand words" moments.

Here it is bonded in position ready to do duty blocking air from going over the top of the governor.

BTW, I had to buy a 12" x 16" piece of this foam and have enough left over to do another 3 or 4 cowls for anyone interested. PayPal me $10 + the shipping cost and it's yours.

Cowl Upper CLosed Cell Foam Sealer.jpg

Back