What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3/32" Pop Rivet with longer grip

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - does anyone know if a 3/32" pop rivet with a longer grip range than the MK-319BS? I have a handful of rivets that are a real challenge to buck, and I'd like to substitute a pop rivet.

It seems weird to me that there are a ton of -4 Cherry rivets with various grip lengths, but I am coming up blank for a 3/32" countersunk head rivet with a greater grip than a MK-319BS.

Thanks,
Jason

That is still not quite long enough. I was hoping to find something with a grip length of around 0.2"

Thanks,
Jason

There is an MK-321-BS, grip range .09-.109 Same strength, etc as MK-319.

How many do you need? I have a few on hand.

Edit: I didn't notice the need for .2 grip - I don't think you'll find a pop rivet that meets your need. If you can drill/dimple 1/8" cherrymax would work.

Last edited:
There are a few rivets on the RV-10 front skins that are a real challenge to figure out how to get a bucking bar on them.

I think I have it figured out, but just in case I was looking for a longer grip pop-rivet. In this area, the rivet is going through the side skin, a fairly thick side channel, and then a small plate that ties two section together. I stuck a rivet in the hole and marked it with a sharpie... and it measured out to something like 0.016" of material to rivet all together.

I sure do (riveting without a partner)

I think I drilled up to a #30, machine countersunk and used a cherry for the two most forward in that line. can hardly tell.

Phil
Salt Lake City
RV-10 almost out of phase 1

cherry makes a rivet with a 3/32 sized head and a #30 shank. CR3214-4-3 or -4 should be about the grip range you’re looking for.
I got a bunch of two different lengths off of eBay for much less than any supplier. (Like 100 for $25 versus $1 each...)

Last edited:
There are a few rivets on the RV-10 front skins that are a real challenge to figure out how to get a bucking bar on them.

I think I have it figured out, but just in case I was looking for a longer grip pop-rivet. In this area, the rivet is going through the side skin, a fairly thick side channel, and then a small plate that ties two section together. I stuck a rivet in the hole and marked it with a sharpie... and it measured out to something like 0.016" of material to rivet all together.

I know EXACTLY the ones you're talking about. I had the same issue finding 3/32" rivets with longer stems. Here's what I did that seemed to work VERY well for me. I simply drilled out the holes for 1/8" CS4-4 rivets and installed those in the 3/32 dimples. I was AMAZED at how well they fit. They do sit very slightly proud, but then again, I find the MK-319BS sits a little proud too. It should be no problem to hide with high build primer and paint. The CS4-4 is stronger than any longer 3/32" I could find.

Try a sample CS4-4 in a 3/32" dimple on scrap to see what you think. It was more than acceptable to me and I think the results were much better than me beating up a skin with a rivet gun trying to buck a few of those awkward rivets.

I know EXACTLY the ones you're talking about. I had the same issue finding 3/32" rivets with longer stems. Here's what I did that seemed to work VERY well for me. I simply drilled out the holes for 1/8" CS4-4 rivets and installed those in the 3/32 dimples. I was AMAZED at how well they fit. They do sit very slightly proud, but then again, I find the MK-319BS sits a little proud too. It should be no problem to hide with high build primer and paint. The CS4-4 is stronger than any longer 3/32" I could find.

Try a sample CS4-4 in a 3/32" dimple on scrap to see what you think. It was more than acceptable to me and I think the results were much better than me beating up a skin with a rivet gun trying to buck a few of those awkward rivets.

You could follow the above but with CherryMax rivets that are made to the the NAS1097 sizes (aka "oops rivets")

Page 11 of this catalog - http://www.cherryaerospace.com/docs/catalogs/CA-1011.pdf

The final installation would be just a shade recessed which would be perfect for filing later. Genuine Aircraft Hardware sells them in packs of 10.

https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=CR3214-4-03+PKG/10

Back