What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

i love this pov camera!

[email protected]

Well Known Member
what fun this little pov camera from drift has been...

here are some screen shots from different mounting locations and views that have been interesting.

screenshot20110817at326.jpg

screenshot20110817at335.jpg

screenshot20110816at630.jpg

screenshot20110817at338.jpg

screenshot20110817at351.jpg

screenshot20110817at341.jpg

Me too

After reading both Vic Syracuse (Alaska and Camera Mounts) and your threads I decided to give Drift Stealth HD170 a try. Your idea of mounting the camera on wing tip makes a lot of sense to me since it is easy and allows the use of remote. It took two days to get the camera from Amazon.com and five minutes to get it mounted before the fly test. Since I only had a 1 gbyte SD crad free the video ended before I turned base. Here is the video (set resolution to 1080 when play back) and a photo of my wing tip mount. The blue tape was used to find the hole spacing.

Drift%252520mount1.jpg

[Should have reversed the mount to ensure that the camera does not slip out.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8TQ1NCX70

Last edited:
Ted (and maybe Stephen too),

I see you're using a "slide-in" mount for your camera. I have the same thing for my Oregon Scientific ATC2K camera, and have mounted it on the tail. I won't link to any videos because the quality is, well, without beating around the bush, it's cr*p. But the mount works well. I was also concerned about the camera slipping out, so I put a tether through the wrist-strap hole on the camera, and ran the other end underneath the bracket that I screwed to the tail.

You could even drill another hole in the bracket that you screwed down, and just loop the strap through that. If the camera *did* come loose it would certainly flop around a heck of a lot before you got back on the ground, but you might not lose it.

strapless...

I would much rather lose a camera then have it bashing skins on a tether line in flight...

The mount is VERY secure and the snap in attachment threaded into the camera tripod mount is also toothed to lock the clocking of the camera with respect to the base... as long as the camera slides in from the direction of flight it is not going anywhere unexpededly.

I'm in. Hope to get mine today.

Why do I feel like I was looking through "jello" in a couple of the videos? Kinda wobbly looking movement.

Jelly effect...

The wobble, jelly, or jello effect that you are seeing is an artifact of the camera sensor using a rolling shutter; it is most pronounced when the prop is in the frame and with bright sun... not much can reliably be done to eliminate it but there are lots of threads on google about it.

I've had the Drift for a few months now and am very happy. I seldom use it for video. I use it for aerial photography. I wrote a short description on my blog: http://thesalmonfarm.org/blog/p/2922

photo3-320x240.jpg

I too have the flat mount screwed at the wing tip. Given the very wide angle of view, I mount it very far forward. On the ground it seem odd but the pictures work out well with About 20-25% sky and a big majority of the scenery below.

Great videos, Jeff. I will have to try the underwing mounting. I love that area of Virginia.

"jello" effect gone

I came to realize that the jello effect is actually due to camera vibration. When I mounted the camera using the plastic mount I could rock it left and right a little. The problem is the mating between the mount and the camera. Yesterday I built myself an aluminum mount using scrap angle and plates. This afternoon I did a flight test. The area was quite bumpy and wind gusted 20 kts at 80 degrees. The quality of the video is not perfect due to the rocking of the airplane. However, there is very little jello effect. Here is the video and photos of my mount.

Drift camera mount test video

IMG_20111015_085615.jpg

IMG_20111015_085238.jpg

Use epoxy mixed with micro balloon to level the bottom of the mount. Use a hardware store 1/4-20 ss screw, washers and lock washer to hold the camera to the mount.

Back