What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Arizona advice.

rcarson

Well Known Member
I hope to complete my 7A within the next year and order the engine and prop sometime this summer during Airventure since they always offer discounts. I will be installing the 0-320 160hp. My wife and I have decided to leave the great icebox midwest and move to Az. and looking at the elevations throughout the state makes it seem like a constant speed prop is a must. Any thoughts on the topic from the western folks? I like the simplicity of a fixed pitch metal prop but it only seems practical in the flat midwest.

Fixed Pitch props - thumbs up

Fixed Pitch prop works great in AZ! May not outclimb a C/S but we go everywhere and never have had a problem. We do not consider it a safety issue. Lots of people here with fixed pitch props on their RVs.

Rosie totally concurs with Tom ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I flew FP props out of the mountains in CO for years (in 172s etc.) and am flying FP RV-9 in Reno now. No issues at all, especially for RVs.

greg

Fixed Pitch Works

I flew into Leadville once in an RV-6A with a 160 hp o-320 fixed pitch prop setup. Take off at a 13,200' DA still had a 250 FPM climb rate with 3/4 tanks and me (235lbs) in the plane..... Yep, used a bit more runway, but it climbed just fine (had to lean for max RPM prior to take off...).

Fred Stucklen
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-7A N924RV 525 Hrs Flying

I hope to complete my 7A within the next year and order the engine and prop sometime this summer during Airventure since they always offer discounts. I will be installing the 0-320 160hp. My wife and I have decided to leave the great icebox midwest and move to Az. and looking at the elevations throughout the state makes it seem like a constant speed prop is a must. Any thoughts on the topic from the western folks? I like the simplicity of a fixed pitch metal prop but it only seems practical in the flat midwest.

I'm a newbie with the FP/CS debate but here's my opinion. I'm with Tom V. I'm sure a FP will do just fine and that is what I plan on until I have the $ for the CS. Remember that your not building a plane with C172 performance. The only time you'll really feel the climb performance suffer is in the extreme heat of the day which I don't think you'll like to fly in anyways. It's to uncomfortable. There are several FP RV's here in AZ.

Last edited:
You'll be fine

As Tom noted, you'll be more than fine. Even the 160 hp is overpowered in the scheme of small aircraft. If money allows, go with the 180 hp. There will be no doubt then and the resale will be better.

Where in AZ are you looking? There is house in my airpark available in the Phx area. (P19)

Arizona

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like I can stick to the original plan and use the fixed pitch prop. Love the simplicity and lower cost. I keep forgetting the 7 will still outperform the Cherokee I had by a considerable margin.

FP or CS, the most important thing is that you go to Tucson and get a Sonoran Hotdog. Oh so good.

You mentioned you're ordering an engine (as in "new") -- not sure it makes sense to stick an O-320 into an RV-7, since it costs virtually the same as O-360.. the difference in price is negligable...

It's not price its experience with the engine and the fact that I can burn auto if I need to. It also is using less fuel and in the long haul with only a 4 mph penalty in top end it made sense.

Waynesville!!! I have done a little flying out of there! What a great place!! The Stewarts are good people!

We moved out here from the 'burbs of Cincinnati and it was THE BEST decision we have ever made. Love it here.....and so will you!!

Move to Az.

Thanks for the web site on the airparks and I acquired my pilots certificate from the Stewarts years ago. Have 40hrs in a Cub and enjoyed starting in tail dragers. The Stewarts believe that if you start in an underpowered aircraft that you really have to learn how to fly. Then the transition to a tryke is easy and I agree. The 172 almost flew itself when I went to that. Yes they are good people.

... It also is using less fuel and in the long haul with only a 4 mph penalty in top end it made sense.

Just remember that with the O-360 there are controls at your fingertips that will bring the fuel burn down to O-320 levels, but there are no controls available anywhere which will increase the power of a 320. It's something to think about now; not when you are hot, heavy and high sometime in the future.

FP Propeller in AZ

I've been flying my RV-7 now for a couple of years using a new TMX 360 with a fixed pitch Catto Prop. The engine/prop performance has been very satisfactory. I normally fly in the southern Az setting my RPM at 2300-2350 and still get TAS of 172 mph and sips fuel at 6.6 gph consistantly. I'm based at Marana Regional (AVQ).
Charlie

Whoa, there! Misconception correction. If you want to burn mogas, you're not stuck with a 320. 360s burn it just fine, too. They share compression ratios. If that's the big swinger for you, get the 360. Nearly the same cost, and fuel burn can be made almost equal for the same speed. But the 320 will always be the weaker motor.

John Siebold

Back