What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mattituck test cell time

dwranda

Well Known Member
Does anybody know how long the new Mattituck engines were ran on their test cell? I have a red gold tmx IO360 almost ready for first engine start on the plane and am curious how much they actually ran it before they boxed it up. Thanks!

I have purchased 2 new Lyc's through Van's, both engines had 2 hours of documented test cell runs.

Does anybody know how long the new Mattituck engines were ran on their test cell? I have a red gold tmx IO360 almost ready for first engine start on the plane and am curious how much they actually ran it before they boxed it up. Thanks!

I seem to recall my Mattituck motor had one hour of test cell time before being pickled and crated up.

Both of my Mattituck engines had about an hour and a half of run time of I recall correctly (but it was a long time ago, and the paperwork is in a file drawer…..).

The expert on this is Mahlon, who does monitor the forums, so he might well be along when he sees this thread….

Mine had one hour of documented run time and came with all the run time data.

I got my engine from a guy selling off his kit here on VAF. I believe I got all the paperwork with it, but theres no detail about the run time. It basically just says it was run on the test cell. It came with break in procedures so I will be following that. I thought you shouldn't run engines for that long before break in. I'm assuming the test run is not the break in.

Run-In vs Break-In

Run-In vs Break-In:

Ref: https://www.continental.aero/xPublications/xService Bulletins/Experimental PMA/SIL012/
"III. RUN-IN vs. BREAK-IN

Engine overhaul shops (and new engine manufacturers) typically run-in all engines for a period of one to two hours prior to release for installation in the airframe. However, run-in was never intended to be a complete break-in. The objective of the run-in is to:

1. Verify the engine meets rated power specification

2. Correct any oil, fuel, or induction leaks

3. Check and adjust engine fuel system

4. Check and adjust engine oil pressure

After run-in, the engine is released to the installer who provides the airframe, baffling, fuel settings, and all aircraft interface considerations. Break-in is not complete until the engine oil consumption has stabilized and many hours of operation have elapsed."​
Mahlon (Russell) has published engine Run-In and Break-In instructions in various places on the 'net, including VAF. Here is one:

And Mike Busch's presentation on engine Break-In:

Run-In vs Break-In:

Ref: https://www.continental.aero/xPublications/xService Bulletins/Experimental PMA/SIL012/
"III. RUN-IN vs. BREAK-IN

Engine overhaul shops (and new engine manufacturers) typically run-in all engines for a period of one to two hours prior to release for installation in the airframe. However, run-in was never intended to be a complete break-in. The objective of the run-in is to:

1. Verify the engine meets rated power specification

2. Correct any oil, fuel, or induction leaks

3. Check and adjust engine fuel system

4. Check and adjust engine oil pressure

After run-in, the engine is released to the installer who provides the airframe, baffling, fuel settings, and all aircraft interface considerations. Break-in is not complete until the engine oil consumption has stabilized and many hours of operation have elapsed."​
Mahlon (Russell) has published engine Run-In and Break-In instructions in various places on the 'net, including VAF. Here is one:

And Mike Busch's presentation on engine Break-In:

Great info....thanks!!

In my experience (n=1) Mahlon’s procedure works excellently. Watch those temps !

Peter

Back