What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phase 1 x 2

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
OK, my AP (fairly inexperienced in GA) and I just completed a panel upgrade to a Dynon system. As part of the final stage of the panel we accomplished this years CI since we had the entire airplane apart. He has been chatting with his “mentor” IA who has put two new thoughts in his brain:

1) The IA seems think I need an IA to sign off on the CI. I am not the builder but understand that the AP has the authority for the sign off…

2) IA also seems to think that since we put in a new panel, it puts the airplane back into Phase 1…

I believe the answers to both are NO and NO.. However since I am still relatively new in the experimental world I’d love to hear what you guys have to say. Particularly those of you that have regulatory references.

Make sure you reference the regulations, and there are a lot of people smarter than me on here, but I would say a new panel does not put you back in the phase 1. Just read the regulatory definitions. It is pretty straightforward. As far as having an IA sign off on your condition inspection, that’s a resounding NO.

Yep you are definitely correct on #1– no IA required for the sign off.

As for number 2, I’m gonna waffle and say maybe as I could see it being argued either way. It all depends on how you want to interpret the definition of a major vs minor alteration from 21.93.

Last edited:
#1 Definitely NO! IA has absolutely nothing to do with Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

#2, As with so many thing, It depends. If your new panel causes a significant change to weight & balance, then yes. If the new panel involves the flight control system such as the autopilot, then yes. If the new panel affects the flight characteristics of the aircraft, then yes.

Even if you don't go back into Phase I, you will need to do some significant flight testing.

#1 Definitely NO! IA has absolutely nothing to do with Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft.

#2, As with so many thing, It depends. If your new panel causes a significant change to weight & balance, then yes. If the new panel involves the flight control system such as the autopilot, then yes. If the new panel affects the flight characteristics of the aircraft, then yes.

Even if you don't go back into Phase I, you will need to do some significant flight testing.

Little less than 6 pounds difference, very little change in any W&B calculations. As far as autopilot, I had autopilot previously but changed servos etc..

If “Phase 1” means flight testing to make sure everything works like I should, I’m jiggy with that. If it’s an artificial 25 hour program flying TP stalls and loops then I’m less jiggy. Am I the one that decides that? I can’t find a FAR that directs anything specific.

I’m certainly not the first guy to do a new panel. What is the precedent? IMHO, which obviously has no weight with our buddies at the FAA, the only change is it makes the airplane safer. No change in handling or physical performance.

Little less than 6 pounds difference, very little change in any W&B calculations. As far as autopilot, I had autopilot previously but changed servos etc..

If “Phase 1” means flight testing to make sure everything works like I should, I’m jiggy with that. If it’s an artificial 25 hour program flying TP stalls and loops then I’m less jiggy. Am I the one that decides that? I can’t find a FAR that directs anything specific.

I’m certainly not the first guy to do a new panel. What is the precedent? IMHO, which obviously has no weight with our buddies at the FAA, the only change is it makes the airplane safer. No change in handling or physical performance.

It’s spelled out in your OPLIMs but it’s an abbreviated 5-hour minimum test program, not the full Monty. You notify your FSDO, do the 5 hours (more if you need too) and then put it back in phase 2 once the testing is complete.

It’s spelled out in your OPLIMs but it’s an abbreviated 5-hour minimum test program, not the full Monty. You notify your FSDO, do the 5 hours (more if you need too) and then put it back in phase 2 once the testing is complete.

Let me add emphasis to the word “your” Ops Lims - there are many different versions over many years. Newer ones say notify the FSDO, older ones do not - you just sign it in and out of Phase 1. But you have to do what YOURs say. If the original test area was different than where you live, then you will almost certainly have to talk to the FSDO if you put it into Phase 1. But based on what you said, Mel is very much correct (as always), and I could easily see that what you have done does not put you into the Major Alteration category.

Back