What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep wanted for avionics panel builders

Weefle

Well Known Member
Getting ready to order my avionics and was looking for some recommendations for quality panel builders who can supply the Garmin gear, wire it, test it, design and cut out the panel and apply labels, powder coat etc. I will be using an Aerosport 310 panel in the RV10.

Thanks

Two full IFR Garmin panels done for me by the great folks at SteinAir. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

My experience with the other well known panel builder (located in the West) was less than stellar. I took the time to fly out from Georgia to visit them and they never even bothered to follow up afterwards. When I was there, they didn't seem to care if I bought from them or not. Completely the opposite experience at Stein.

photo sharing

Last edited:
Stein was my first choice but....wont touch the job if you are using SDS or EFII systems. I guess I should have added that in my post.

Stein was my first choice but....wont touch the job if you are using SDS or EFII systems. I guess I should have added that in my post.

That is my understanding as well. I've heard that Aerotronics has a similar policy.

Good luck in your search.

I was considering Stein for my panel upgrade as well but I have an SDS CPI2 Electronic Ignition. Do I understand you correctly? Is Stein not selling to those who are using SDS? If that’s the case, I’d be very interested in hearing the reasoning behind a decision like that. Can you say why?

Stein is great. His backlog can get lengthy, though. Might also talk with John Stark at Stark Avionics in Columbus, GA and Tim Haas at Approach Fast Stack in Minnesota.

They'll sell you avionics but won't do electrical design work or harness fabrication that involves SDS or EFII. From their policy:
1-Steinair, Inc offers specific and limited support for the SDS/EFII system(s). In all scenarios, Steinair, Inc will NOT supply any design guidance (panel, electrical, labeling, etc.) This will entirely be up to the customer. Steinair, Inc will NOT provide any wires related to any/all portions of these systems.

I went with Pacific Coast Avionics. No complaints, reasonable price and pretty fast turnaround. I ended up doing the electrical design work and wiring myself and really just needed someone to design and cut me a panel and then supply me the avionics so could've went with Stein, but PCA ended up cheaper by a bit.

I had a great experience with Aerotronics on my RV-10. They worked with me to refine my panel layout, cut the panel, labeled it and coated it, and provided all the Garmin avionics along with the switches, breakers, and other bits. I installed all the equipment and did all the wiring myself (my preference as a EE). They were easy to communicate with, both before and after delivery, were professional and did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Regards,

They'll sell you avionics but won't do electrical design work or harness fabrication that involves SDS or EFII. From their policy:
1-Steinair, Inc offers specific and limited support for the SDS/EFII system(s). In all scenarios, Steinair, Inc will NOT supply any design guidance (panel, electrical, labeling, etc.) This will entirely be up to the customer. Steinair, Inc will NOT provide any wires related to any/all portions of these systems.

I went with Pacific Coast Avionics. No complaints, reasonable price and pretty fast turnaround. I ended up doing the electrical design work and wiring myself and really just needed someone to design and cut me a panel and then supply me the avionics so could've went with Stein, but PCA ended up cheaper by a bit.

Thank you for the information. I will reach out to Pacific Coast.

I guess I’ll be contacting them as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pacific Coast Avionics is crating my panel with SDS as I write this. Very good communication, great price and quick turn around.

Pacific Coast Avionics is crating my panel with SDS as I write this. Very good communication, great price and quick turn around.

Just got off the phone with Randy at PCA. Sent in my requirements and a drawing...hoping to hear back soon. 2-3 month time frame fits my schedule perfect. Fingers crossed!

Keith

I am going with Aerotronics in Billings to purchase my items. But I am wiring the panel myself as they have a 13month back log. As an Electrical Engineer I am making very detailed schematics for a dual G3X system. I am going to have Aerotronics cut my panel as well, as that is only a 30 day lead. They have been very supportive.

Avionics Systems

I have had two very good experiences with David Buckwalter & team at Avionics Systems in Leesburg, VA.

David was extremely patient, asked lots of questions about my instrumentation choices and usage model, made suggestions and went through numerous iterations of the architecture and design before running a single wire.

Post delivery support was phenomenal, sending me pieces/parts necessary to add & change functionality years after initial acceptance.

I went to him a second time, 7 years later to build my current RV-7. Very happy with the results and prices.

As an aside, David also did the avionics work for "Scrappy" -- pretty amazing job.

https://www.avionikits.com/

B

Good luck with Pacific Coast Avionics work.
I had them do a $36,000.00 panel install and got Screwed.
Art
Art,
Can you elaborate? I'm getting on their schedule hopefully so would be curious what happened.

If you don't want to say publicly please shoot me a PM

Thanks!
Chris

I had a great experience with Aerotronics on my RV-10. They worked with me to refine my panel layout, cut the panel, labeled it and coated it, and provided all the Garmin avionics along with the switches, breakers, and other bits. I installed all the equipment and did all the wiring myself (my preference as a EE). They were easy to communicate with, both before and after delivery, were professional and did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Regards,

SteinAir is my choice, but Aerotronics was my 10Friend's choice, and he has also gotten a super panel and service for years. Both will be your partner in the panel design and build process.

Unless

Unless you mention you are using EFII or SDS…then expect the cold shoulder.

Such a shame, as the panel I got from Stein was a work of art.

Now that is an interesting policy. I would be very curious as to their reasoning.

What is very weird with the company’s that won’t touch sds or EFII is that I’m not asking them to hook up a single wire to that system. Just cut me the hole for the controller and drill some holes for fuses and switches. I’ll take care of the rest.

I can’t figure it out either. Apparently it’s got something to do with lawyers.
Nuff said!

The only restriction I got from Advanced Flight was not to power any electronic ignition system from the Advanced Control Module, but I ran the power from a separate bus and wired per Ross's instructions.

Of course, very happy with the panel build from Rob Hickman using the 310 carbon fiber panel, but it's not Garmin gear, so not relevant to your choice of avionics. Just sharing a data point as to how another manufacturer treats the EI/EFI stuff from an electrical and legal risk standpoint.

Midwest Panel Builders

Mid West Panel Builders built my current projects panel. Garmin dealer and all in-house. They have many options including rear LED lighted switch overlay and electronic key fob security system. Plus Laser etched stick grips along with the custom panels. Give them a call. They have even supported a build assist wiring program for motivated builders. If needed send me a pm.

LEMAC Aviation at Falcon Field, Mesa, Az. Can’t say enough good about them; fair prices, honest comms, reasonable timeline, and complete customer care. I highly recommend them.

I had a terrific experience with Aerotronics. I had a couple of unique asks they were able to handle for me, and the pre- and post-sale support has been phenomenal.

I went through MANY iterations of my panel in multiple combinations, and each time they were patient, thoughtful and tried to help me stay in my budget. When I got in a little over my head (which happens regularly) they were really patient with support, and even were kind enough to work with my local avionics tech to get through a difficult part of the install.

Really couldn't be happier.

Regards,

I agree about Aerotronics! The service AFTER the sale has been excellent! One of my favorite vendors to work with on my RV10 build.

As I’ve posted in the past, my mantra remains:
“If you can build it you can wire it and build your own panel”

For my projects I purchased all the avionic components as a bundle from Stein and I recommend him for all your needs. He gave me a nice discount on the bundle.

With new EFIS systems wiring is very straight forward. Cutting holes in the panel blank is not a big deal either.

When done you have you own detailed wiring and configuration documentation. This will pay dividends when time comes for an update or maintenance. If you make the extra effort to have the panel fully removable you can enjoy never being on you back with your head under the panel.

Some real life RV panel data:
- The RV-8A has been flying for 20 years. It is on its fourth full panel replacement, and sixth panel update.
- The RV-10 has been flying for 10 years. It is on this second full panel replacement and third panel update.
- The current RV-8 has been flying for a little over two years and still has the original panel but may soon do an update replacing the analog airspeed instrument with an AV-30.

If you stick with the kit provided panel blanks, a new panel layout is ~$30, some time cutting holes and paint.

Carl

Back