What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground test for TruTrak autopilot

mbuto

Hello!

I recently had my local avionics shop replace the pitot static block on my TruTrak a/p. They believe all is well but advise a ground and flight check (sensible). The original manual does suggest what to do, but how to do it since I did not do the original build or install. I would appreciate some help here.

TiA,

Mike

Ground check

Download the manual from Trutrak, for my Autopilot the ground checks were very clearly explained.
Can’t remember if there was a separate Install manual.

Download the manual from Trutrak, for my Autopilot the ground checks were very clearly explained.
Can’t remember if there was a separate Install manual.

I have the manual, but the 'how to' part is greek to me because I have no experience with anything inside the a/c. For example: the first sentence in the procedure: "The check-out procedure is to verify that the servos run and in the correct direction." I know what servos are, but where are they? How do you verify what direction they are running in? What is correct and what isn't? So, for me, they are not clearly explained at all.

I have the manual, but the 'how to' part is greek to me because I have no experience with anything inside the a/c. For example: the first sentence in the procedure: "The check-out procedure is to verify that the servos run and in the correct direction." I know what servos are, but where are they? How do you verify what direction they are running in? What is correct and what isn't? So, for me, they are not clearly explained at all.

If you push the stick forward and aft, does the elevator move the proper direction. That same for left and right with the aileron movement. It doesn’t matter where the servos are located, but I would recommend finding them. The more you learn about the systems in the aircraft the better off you’ll be. The install manual for your model of RV should help you locate the servos. They are different location in different models.

I think the manual pretty well explains how to do the ground checks. If you dial in a climb, the stick should start inching back. If you dial in a heading turn to the right, the stick should start inching to the right. If the shop didn't touch the servos, then you shouldn't even need to look at them.

With that said, it sounds like you're pretty new to working on aircraft, or at least this system. I would highly recommend that you find someone familiar with the systems that can help walk you through them. Whether it's a buddy or if you have to pay a knowledgeable person, it should be time (and maybe money) well spent. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know", and you want to make sure you're not doing anything that may affect the safety of flight.

We were all new at this stuff at one time, so we've all been there. Enjoy the learning and discovery process.

Back