What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install auto pilot

dan carley

Well Known Member
I have a Rv6 slider with a old
Single 3 1/4 in axis auto pilot
Very little room to work in how hard would it
Be to put a new auto pilot in

Danny carley

Trio pro pilot would fit in that hole.
Run wires to second servo location.
Mount servo, possibly using preformed bracket.
Pin wires to connectors.
Go into settings, adjust as needed and fly.

I'm a non builder but found it easy to install in our rv9a.

Existing model?

You didn't mention what auto pilot you currently have. That could make things easier... or not.

Naviad

It’s the roll servo connected
To the stick on the pilot side
How would I know if it’s comparable
With true tac autopilot
That would be a tremendous help

Dan ,the advancement in A/Ps have come a long way since early single axis boxes. You might be better served by looking at say GRT mini that has A/P built in along with bunch of other stuff that you might like in your panel. Some might be compatable with your existing servo but probably not. Kinda like everything else, given 10 years may as well start over with tech.

As mentioned, there was compatibility between some model(s) of the TRIO and NAVAID servos. I think they were the ONLY ones to do that.

TruTrak servos quickly became the "standard" some years ago. GRT and I believe DYNON then made servos that could use the Trutak mounting approach so if you had a TT, it would be easy to sway out those servos for ones supported/driven directly by the DYNON/GRT EFISes.

The GARMIN mounting approach to servos ended up being different.

Soooo.... if you want to use EXISTING servos, TRIO is your option.

Otherwise you need a lot more product and it all depends upon what will fit and how much money you want to spend.

p.s. I started out with the NAVAID many years ago and eventually switched to GRT alfter almost doing TruTrak after deciding NOT to use a "System 30".

The navaid servo should be compatible with trio heads.

It is. That is what I have in my airplane. A Trio autopilot driving a Navaid servo for roll.

BTW, I have 2 Trio Gold Standard servos waiting to be installed or sold. I haven't made up my mind.

Back