What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Inter-Display Link

Not sure about the inter-display link. This is how my magnetometer is wired. Haven’t flown yet but it works taxiing around.

Attachments

• FBA0A2CD-5643-4B77-931E-99956B9D579E.jpg
    FBA0A2CD-5643-4B77-931E-99956B9D579E.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Axel.
Jeff - I just added a display and wired my magnetometer like you did and I am getting wild headings on the new display. The old display works except it'll lose the mag data every now and then and throw an error - then goes back to normal. Serial ports are configured correctly. I am thinking some kind of serial collision... but I am the wrong guy to ask on that...

I'm going up tomorrow and I'll disable the MAG serial port on the new display and see if that fixes things. I did kinda want the Mag data to go to both displays and can't think of why this wouldn't work, but....it's not.
Dave

Oh boy, here comes a rabbit hole! I've been down this rabbit hole myself.

GRT does some interesting things with magnetometer calibrations and the inter-display link (hereafter known as the IDL).

Firstly, one has to understand the IDL is a daisy chain. Output of EFIS 1 goes to input of EFIS 2. Output of EFIS 2 goes to input of EFIS 3. Output of EFIS 3 goes to input of EFIS 1.

If one is using a single magnetometer (the newer digital magnetometer) its single RS232 serial output (Pin 9) can be split to as many displays as you have.
EDIT: this is RAW magnetometer data which MUST go to each display. This RAW data is then massaged inside each display to produce the displayed heading. It's the MAGCAL (magnetometer calibration) data which allows the RAW magnetometer data to be corrected for errors in the magnetometer and for local magnetic field disturbances resulting from the magnetometer installation.

With IDL turned on between displays there is a CRITICAL setting in IDL setup which must be considered. This setting is "SHARE MAG CAL ON INTERDISPLAY LINK". If set to YES then the magnetometer calibration information is shared from the IDL MASTER to the other EFIS devices. What this accomplishes is that it causes multiple displays to use the same calibration data for the same magnetometer. This happens as a check at power-on. If MAGCAL data is coming across the IDL then the slave displays will use that MAGCAL data and the old MAGCAL data which might be stored in their memory is put back on the shelf and not used.

Now here is where it gets tricky. When doing the magnetometer calibration in an aircraft equipped with ONE magnetometer and MULTIPLE displays the following process needs to be followed. Firstly, set the IDL parameters properly to show which devices are slaves and which is the master. Turn ON "SHARE MAGCAL OVER INTERDISPLAY LINK" on all displays. Power all displays off.

Power on only the master display. Perform the magnetometer calibration by going around in a circle per the installation manual. Once this is done make sure you SAVE the calibration data. Now turn off the master display. What has happened here is, within the IDL master, a lookup table of data values has been created; this lookup table is a lot like a compass correction card in that it tells the display how to correct the raw magnetometer data in order to produce accurate displayed heading information. If we have multiple displays using the same magnetometer, each of those displays is going to be fed raw magnetometer data which contains the same errors. Each display then needs to apply the same "compass correction card" information to correct that raw data so each display shows accurate heading information.

Turn all displays on. What's happening now in software is the IDL master is spewing out a bunch of data for the other displays... including MAGCAL data. The other displays know they are slaves and they have been waiting for the MAGCAL data over the IDL. Within a very short time after power-up the slave displays will have received MAGCAL over the IDL and will have applied that "compass correction card" information to the raw magnetometer data they are all receiving from the shared RS232 signal coming from magnetometer Pin 9. The heading indicated on each display should match that of the master, plus or minus a degree or two. (I know, we think they should match exactly but they don't, thanks to some very fancy math that's being done in the background - but honestly, when was the last time you could fly your aircraft and hold heading within one degree?)

If you don't follow this process you will end up with contention in the slave displays as they won't be able to properly load the MAGCAL data from the IDL master. This will result in wild heading displays.

This gets even more complicated if one has a more complex installation like mine where I have one magnetometer shared between two displays and a third display with its own magnetometer - this condition is one which requires a different process, including disabling sharing of MAGCAL on the IDL.

Last edited:

GRT does some interesting things with magnetometer calibrations and the inter-display link (hereafter known as the IDL).

Firstly, one has to understand the IDL is a daisy chain. Output of EFIS 1 goes to input of EFIS 2. Output of EFIS 2 goes to input of EFIS 3. Output of EFIS 3 goes to input of EFIS 1.

If one is using a single magnetometer (the newer digital magnetometer) its single RS232 serial output (Pin 9) can be split to as many displays as you have.
EDIT: this is RAW magnetometer data which MUST go to each display. This RAW data is then massaged inside each display to produce the displayed heading. It's the MAGCAL (magnetometer calibration) data which allows the RAW magnetometer data to be corrected for errors in the magnetometer and for local magnetic field disturbances resulting from the magnetometer installation.

With IDL turned on between displays there is a CRITICAL setting in IDL setup which must be considered. This setting is "SHARE MAG CAL ON INTERDISPLAY LINK". If set to YES then the magnetometer calibration information is shared from the IDL MASTER to the other EFIS devices. What this accomplishes is that it causes multiple displays to use the same calibration data for the same magnetometer. This happens as a check at power-on. If MAGCAL data is coming across the IDL then the slave displays will use that MAGCAL data and the old MAGCAL data which might be stored in their memory is put back on the shelf and not used.

Now here is where it gets tricky. When doing the magnetometer calibration in an aircraft equipped with ONE magnetometer and MULTIPLE displays the following process needs to be followed. Firstly, set the IDL parameters properly to show which devices are slaves and which is the master. Turn ON "SHARE MAGCAL OVER INTERDISPLAY LINK" on all displays. Power all displays off.

Power on only the master display. Perform the magnetometer calibration by going around in a circle per the installation manual. Once this is done make sure you SAVE the calibration data. Now turn off the master display. What has happened here is, within the IDL master, a lookup table of data values has been created; this lookup table is a lot like a compass correction card in that it tells the display how to correct the raw magnetometer data in order to produce accurate displayed heading information. If we have multiple displays using the same magnetometer, each of those displays is going to be fed raw magnetometer data which contains the same errors. Each display then needs to apply the same "compass correction card" information to correct that raw data so each display shows accurate heading information.

Turn all displays on. What's happening now in software is the IDL master is spewing out a bunch of data for the other displays... including MAGCAL data. The other displays know they are slaves and they have been waiting for the MAGCAL data over the IDL. Within a very short time after power-up the slave displays will have received MAGCAL over the IDL and will have applied that "compass correction card" information to the raw magnetometer data they are all receiving from the shared RS232 signal coming from magnetometer Pin 9. The heading indicated on each display should match that of the master, plus or minus a degree or two. (I know, we think they should match exactly but they don't, thanks to some very fancy math that's being done in the background - but honestly, when was the last time you could fly your aircraft and hold heading within one degree?)

If you don't follow this process you will end up with contention in the slave displays as they won't be able to properly load the MAGCAL data from the IDL master. This will result in wild heading displays.

This gets even more complicated if one has a more complex installation like mine where I have one magnetometer shared between two displays and a third display with its own magnetometer - this condition is one which requires a different process, including disabling sharing of MAGCAL on the IDL.

Mark,
That’s an excellent explanation, one that even I can sort of understand. I’m printing this one up, because there’s no way I’ll remember the details of what you have explained. Thanks.

Thanks Mark, This also explains why we have to designate MASTER and SLAVE (never really made sense to me as the IDL is a two way street).
On last question - Since both Displays in my setup are connected to the serial stream of the magnetometer - is there any reason I couldn't calibrate each display individually (ater turning off the share cal data)?

Thanks Mark, This also explains why we have to designate MASTER and SLAVE (never really made sense to me as the IDL is a two way street).
On last question - Since both Displays in my setup are connected to the serial stream of the magnetometer - is there any reason I couldn't calibrate each display individually (ater turning off the share cal data)?

This one is a bit tricky. The answer is yes, one can indeed use one magnetometer's output to drive two displays. The other half of the answer is no, one can't practically do this because a single display provides power to the magnetometer.

If one wanted to have each display able to independently run the magnetometer one would have to route the magnetometer power outputs of each display unit through a switch to control which display unit is powering the magnetometer. While this sounds like a great idea, when one is in a helmet fire-inducing situation where the primary display has just gone Tango Uniform one doesn't want to have to think about having to flip an extra switch to bring the magnetometer on line with the secondary display unit.

Also understand that carrying out the magnetic calibration for each display unit is done with the other display unit powered off, hence the importance of finding a way to switch magnetometer power between the two display units.

In my case I was able to run individual calibrations on the HX and Sport EX because the digital magnetometer is powered by the Advanced AHARS. All I had to do when doing the calibration with the Sport EX was keep the AHARS powered. Same deal with the Mini-X and its own magnetometer - powered down the HX, AHARS and Sport EX and ran the Mini-X stand-alone.

Yes, that meant I went around around in circles at least three times. In fact I think I went around nine times just to be sure I had the best possible calibrations. Are we dizzy yet?!?!?! :eek::D

So just to go further down this rabbit hole....

I asked GRT about the Master/Slave designation and this is what they said:
"The primary/slave thing is mainly about which one starts communicating first and which one settles disagreements. As long as you have one primary and the other as something else it's fine."

And the Orientation of the magnetometer needs to be set in each display [I have a Sport and a Mini]:
From GRT:
"The Sport and Mini both have to be told about the magnetometer orientation using SET MENU, AHRS Maintenance, Magnetometer Orientation, Magnetometer Roll/Pitch. The orientation data is computed and stored in each AHRS, not in the magnetometer, and not shared. If the magnetometer isn't mounted flat on its bottom (default orientation), or if it was previously configured with a magnetometer in a different orientation, then the headings will be wildly incorrect until you do this."

In my case, I fixed the heading issue by following Mark's advice. First I made sure the orientation was correct in both displays, then ran fine calibration on the primary display with the second display off, then powered down the primary; then started both displays. THANKS MARK!

..because a single display provides power to the magnetometer.

Mark,

Your explanation is really well done. I don't have GRT equipment, but am leaning in that direction (~12 months from decision time).

For the sake of my education: would appropriate diodes and shorting the grounds together make this a simple possibility understanding there remains a single point of failure?

Thanks,
Mike

For the sake of my education: would appropriate diodes and shorting the grounds together make this a simple possibility understanding there remains a single point of failure?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike - I don't know the answer to this question because I haven't hung any diagnostic equipment on the magnetometer power line. It's not a 12V line that can tolerate a bunch of loss. If I recall it's 4.3VDC so inserting a diode loss may well have an impact on the operation of the magnetometer.

For what it's worth, the digital magnetometer is not hugely expensive and it weighs nothing, so if one really wants redundancy (I did), one installs a second magnetometer, thereby removing a single point of failure from the system.

"The primary/slave thing is mainly about which one starts communicating first and which one settles disagreements. As long as you have one primary and the other as something else it's fine."

And the Orientation of the magnetometer needs to be set in each display [I have a Sport and a Mini]:
From GRT:
"The Sport and Mini both have to be told about the magnetometer orientation using SET MENU, AHRS Maintenance, Magnetometer Orientation, Magnetometer Roll/Pitch. The orientation data is computed and stored in each AHRS, not in the magnetometer, and not shared. If the magnetometer isn't mounted flat on its bottom (default orientation), or if it was previously configured with a magnetometer in a different orientation, then the headings will be wildly incorrect until you do this."

In my case, I fixed the heading issue by following Mark's advice. First I made sure the orientation was correct in both displays, then ran fine calibration on the primary display with the second display off, then powered down the primary; then started both displays. THANKS MARK!

DOH! I forgot to mention setting magnetometer orientation. Definitely a critical step. Obviously my little pea brain was focused on the communications settings. Thanks for ensuring this discussion is more complete by having added the need to set magnetometer orientation.

I'm glad you got your heading indications working properly. It's a wonderful thing when everything works as it's supposed to!

For what it's worth, the digital magnetometer is not hugely expensive and it weighs nothing, so if one really wants redundancy (I did), one installs a second magnetometer, thereby removing a single point of failure from the system.

Yes, that's my thinking anyway.

Thanks for entertaining my question!

Mike

From GRT:

I have a question about what GRT told you about mounting the magnetometer “flat on its bottom”. What side is the bottom? This is what the install manual says:

4.2 Remote Digital Magnetometer Installation
The remote magnetometer must be placed in an area of the airplane with little or no electromagnetic interference. The cable is 20’ long and designed to reach out to the wingtip, which is the ideal location for most airplanes. The magnetometer is marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of flight. Mount it with the arrow pointing forward, parallel to the centerline of the airplane. There is not a designated “top” of the magnetometer, so it can be turned on its side for easier mounting. The side of a wing tip rib is a simple place to put it. The arrow on the magnetometer should be parallel with the centerline of the airplane for yaw. Pitch attitude is not critical as long as it is within 60° nose up or nose down.

The drawing right below the above description looks like it is mounted flat on the outboard wingtip rib. That’s how I mounted mine on my RV6 (see below). I haven’t finished building yet, so I don’t know how it will work. I’m wondering if I need to re-orient mine.

6D02897A-A9DD-4ED7-AD6C-1DE65B44D09D.jpg

I'll see if I can answer this one...

The installation manual is correct in its wording. The post by DFMenster is all about ensuring that we don't overlook the need to tell the EFIS, via the SET MENU, the orientation in which we've installed the magnetometer.

Your magnetometer will work as you have it installed, BUT you have to remember to tell the EFIS that it's installed in a vertical orientation rather than a horizontal orientation. If we don't tell the EFIS about magnetometer orientation then it assumes the device is installed horizontally and it will completely misinterpret the magnetometer data and you won't be able to get anything like a meaningful calibration done.

As for which surface is the back of the unit, that's the surface which has the two projecting mounting tabs on it. The "top" of the magnetometer is the surface with the label attached to it.

EDIT: an observation based on the photo in the post above... Those "stick on" zip tie mounting blocks often don't "stick on" very well. I have seen far too many which have come un-stuck, leaving the wiring harness flailing around. There are a couple of ways to attach them which are quick, simple and cheap. One is to find a thin aluminum washer of the correct size to fit over a 1/8" pull rivet. Drill a hole through the zip tie mounting block (careful as the drill will want to catch in that gooey mess of self-adhesive material on it) then through the aluminum behind it. Do a quick debur of the hole then use the pull rivet and washer to rivet the mounting block to the structure. The washer helps distribute the compressive loads applied by the rivet so the mounting block doesn't deform and split. Another method is to peel the self-adhesive material off the back of the block (soaking it in acetone will cause the adhesive to dissolve) and then mix up some J-B Weld and apply it to the back of the mounting block. Rough up the aluminum slightly, give it a quick acetone wipe and you're ready to bond the mounting block in place. Hint - tape the mounting block in place so it doesn't slide downhill as the J-B is curing.

Last edited:
Yep, good catch Mark. I haven’t used these stick on types before, but was suspicious. In the past I’ve had similar zip tie mounts that had a hole for a screw or rivet, but I ran out of them. I’ll try the pop rivet method on these ones, and JB weld on a couple I have on the belly skin aft of the baggage bulkhead.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you for this,Mark. I've had numerous exchanges with GRT on this topic over the years, and never gotten as clear and lucid an explanation as what you provided here. You should be writing their documentation :)

Also, I happen to have a spare digital magnetometer. The one in my airplane serves both my HXr and Mini, the latter of which powers it. Your post reminded me that lack of redundancy has been bugging me for some time. Easy enough to install the second one, and give each display its own. Is there anything in the settings besides turning off Share MagCal that needs to happen if I do this?

Lars - I think we've covered the high points here when it comes to installing the second magnetometer.

0) configure EFIS serial ports correctly to talk to the magnetometer
1) set magnetometer orientation
2) turn off IDL SHARE MAGCAL
3) perform MAGCAL fine calibration on each EFIS system independently, while the other is powered off
4) don't forget to SAVE that MAGCAL data at the end of the calibration run!

Lars - I think we've covered the high points here when it comes to installing the second magnetometer.

0) configure EFIS serial ports correctly to talk to the magnetometer
1) set magnetometer orientation
2) turn off IDL SHARE MAGCAL
3) perform MAGCAL fine calibration on each EFIS system independently, while the other is powered off
4) don't forget to SAVE that MAGCAL data at the end of the calibration run!

Thanks! As an aside, when ever my eyes see MAGCAL my brain converts it to MAGICAL. I think there's a message there.

Does anyone know if this procedure is still required?

I've just upgraded from Sport HS EFIS to Sport EX EFIS.

I have the digital magnetometer connected to both EFIS. I did the magnetometer calibration on the primary EFIS. They both seem to operate as expected.

But I was unable to find the IDL SHARE setting so have not done the second calibration.

Thanks

Jim Butcher

I recently redid my calibration. I have 2 Sport EXs as well. I tried to calibrate both units at the same time but it failed each time. I ended up only calibrating the primary EX but both displays show the same heading when on the ground. I mention on the ground because the primary is set up for heading and the secondary is set up for track.

It shouldn't be ....

Does anyone know if this procedure is still required?

I've just upgraded from Sport HS EFIS to Sport EX EFIS.

I have the digital magnetometer connected to both EFIS. I did the magnetometer calibration on the primary EFIS. They both seem to operate as expected.

But I was unable to find the IDL SHARE setting so have not done the second calibration.

Thanks

Jim Butcher

I have a SportEX and MiniAP sharing one magnetometer...

There was a massive change log associated with the July 2022 update. The latest software tries to update the magnetometer orientation automatically when you calibrate it. The AHRS measures relative MAG orientation for about 10 seconds and stores it. A quick check is to check the AHRS MAINTENANCE - MAGNETOMETER CAL DATA SYNC STATUS to see if the displays recognize that they are sharing the same magnetometer and if the magnetometer correction data is synchronized. When you do the MAG Calibration on one display, that EFIS tries to automatically sync the correction data if both screens are on at the same time. If you haven't updated to the July 2022 release, I suggest you do so. I had a discrepancy with my inflight wind calculations and reached out to GRT (a lot of what I typed came from Jeff DeFouw at GRT). After updating to the latest SW release and redoing my fine MAG CAL, both screens are accurately reporting heading and winds aloft. Hope this helps.
Dave
-8 flying
Woodbridge VA

Thanks Jeff & Dave,

I have the new software installed (just received the Sport EXs two weeks ago). Just doing the mag cal on the PFD (Primary) seems to work fine. After completion, I taxied on the runway, and track on MFD and GNC355 agreed with mag hdg on PFD.

Hopefully I'll get to fly them in the next day or two (weather not looking good).

Jim Butcher

I have a SportEX and MiniAP sharing one magnetometer...

There was a massive change log associated with the July 2022 update. The latest software tries to update the magnetometer orientation automatically when you calibrate it. The AHRS measures relative MAG orientation for about 10 seconds and stores it. A quick check is to check the AHRS MAINTENANCE - MAGNETOMETER CAL DATA SYNC STATUS to see if the displays recognize that they are sharing the same magnetometer and if the magnetometer correction data is synchronized. When you do the MAG Calibration on one display, that EFIS tries to automatically sync the correction data if both screens are on at the same time. If you haven't updated to the July 2022 release, I suggest you do so. I had a discrepancy with my inflight wind calculations and reached out to GRT (a lot of what I typed came from Jeff DeFouw at GRT). After updating to the latest SW release and redoing my fine MAG CAL, both screens are accurately reporting heading and winds aloft. Hope this helps.
Dave
-8 flying
Woodbridge VA

I haven't yet updated the software in my HX/SportEX/Mini-X. I have a question into Jeff DeFouw to clarify magnetometer calibration procedures in my particular mix of equipment. I'll report back here when I have a more complete understanding of how this new software works.

I haven't yet updated the software in my HX/SportEX/Mini-X. I have a question into Jeff DeFouw to clarify magnetometer calibration procedures in my particular mix of equipment. I'll report back here when I have a more complete understanding of how this new software works.

Mark, did you ever hear from Jeff about this?

Thanks!

I've been in contact with Jeff concerning my dual Sport EX setup. You have to do the magnetometer and AHRS orientation on each AHRS. You only need to do the magnetometer calibration (360 rotation) on the primary AHRS as that is shared on the IDL.

Also note, that there is a TAS calibration feature. Since TAS is used to calculate wind vector, that calibration is important. The procedure is in the AHRS page. It is documented in older manuals, not the current ones.

Jim Butcher

This information is from Jeff DeFouw at GRT (yet another late night email exchange - that guy is terrific!).

Keep in mind that my configuration consists of the following:

HX EFIS ---- Adaptive AHARS--- Magnetometer 1
Sport EX EFIS-------------------- Magnetometer 1 (shared by splitting the Mag 1 RS232 output to both the Adaptive AHARS and the Sport EX)
Mini-X-------Magnetometer 2

It is very likely that my early production digital magnetometers do not have a serial number internally assigned and cannot communicate their serial numbers to their associated EFIS devices.

=====================
The sharing is automatic based on the Mag Number settings and Mag Serial Number.

In SET MENU, AHRS Maintenance, Magnetometer Cal Data Sync (highlight and push knob) you will have lines like:

AHRS-1 Mag Cal Data: (status of synchronized data, maybe unknown)

AHRS-1 Mag Number: Auto - Use Serial Number

AHRS-1 Mag Serial Number: (Unknown or some 5 digit number)

Each display will report this for each AHRS that it controls. If the Mag Number is set to Auto then it uses the Mag Serial Number. If Mag Serial Number is Unknown then the EFIS assumes it CANNOT sync mag data for that AHRS because it doesn't know if it's the same magnetometer.

If the EFIS gets all the magnetometer serial numbers correct and it shows the HX and EX share the same mag and the Mini has a different serial number, then it should work properly on its own. If it doesn't figure them all out then you can set the Mag Numbers to your own numbers. You would set the HX and EX Mag Numbers to 1, and on the Mini set the Mag Number to 2. That tells the HX and EX they share a mag that you are calling Mag #1, and the Mini has a separate mag that you are calling Mag #2.

Back