What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My DIY Tug - Just One of Many

HFS

Well Known Member
Here's a pic of my homemade tug I use on my Rocket. I used to push it around by hand, but getting too old for that now.

This one uses a 24 VDC gear motor out of a powered wheelchair, and a hand grip throttle for speed control. A large DPDT switch (sized mostly for convenience) changes direction.

Because of the surface conditions, I needed quite a bit of "tractive" effort to move the plane - consequently that is why I have two, heavy duty 12 VDC batteries in series, and a 45 lb steel ballast weight underneath the frame + the weight of the tail wheel centered over the drive wheels.

Yes, I have to lift (see "stored" handle on tug handle) the TW into the tug socket - but have done that in my self powered version for the last 20 years - and it's no "biggie". Maybe it will be someday, but not yet.

It does what I need it to do - just one more way to skin that cat.

YMMV - probably for the better.

HFS
HR II S/N 002

Attachments

• Tug for Rocket .jpg
    Tug for Rocket .jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 542
This one scoops up the tailwheel. Two batteries, like David's, same reason. Dual wheelchair motors and a battlebot robot controller, so control is via joystick...steers left and right, instant forward and backward, and it's regenerative, putting electrons back in the batteries under braking.

Attachments

• Tailwheel.jpg
    Tailwheel.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Towbot.jpg
    Towbot.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 423
  • Controls.jpg
    Controls.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 335
How about a nose wheel version? Anyone built one of them?
Im still looking for a tug - pusher for my 9A that will work up incline and in the snow. I also dont want to spend a years worth of fuel on it!!

How about a nose wheel version? Anyone built one of them?
Im still looking for a tug - pusher for my 9A that will work up incline and in the snow. I also dont want to spend a years worth of fuel on it!!

Our requirements for a tug to be used in snow/ice are very different from those who operate in more temperate regions. Just looking at the wheels on DanH's device makes me certain they would work well on hard surface but would be of limited use in any kind of snow/ice/slush. It looks like a terrific tug in all other respects but it needs snow tires! :D

The tires on my Aero-Tow tug are much more like lawn tractor tires or turf tires. As a guy who does a fair bit of snow removal I have discovered this tread pattern is quite effective in winter conditions, far more effective than agricultural V-tread tires. In fact all three of my now removal tractors are equipped with turf tires even though it cost a fair whack of cash to convert them to turf tires.

Below is a photo of the machine I use to clear snow around our EAA chapter hangar at the airport - note the tread pattern on the tires.

Attachments

• 85011744_10156605113946498_5328671473521393664_o.jpg
    85011744_10156605113946498_5328671473521393664_o.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 305
Snow blowers come in all weights and horse power, nothing as elegant as tractor in previous post. However lawn/garden tractors are next step up from snow blower to use as a tug ,WAY LESS EXPENSIVE Than any commercial ones as a little shopping will show you. There have been several articles in VAF in past

Snow blowers come in all weights and horse power, nothing as elegant as tractor in previous post. However lawn/garden tractors are next step up from snow blower to use as a tug ,WAY LESS EXPENSIVE Than any commercial ones as a little shopping will show you. There have been several articles in VAF in past

The tractor photo above was provided as a reference for tire tread patterns which have proven effective in winter ramp operations. Yes, I could use that tractor as a tug but I don't as I don't want to expose it to multiple short operating cycles associated with moving the plane in and out of the hangar at low outside temperatures (my personal dispatch limit is -20C with no wind - the stronger the wind the warmer it has to be before I'll launch).

From experience, most "affordable" lawn tractors are ill suited for use as tugs when there's snow on the ground. When used in conjunction with a towbar they just don't have enough traction on the steering tires to overcome the leverage of the main wheels of an airplane. If one main wheel hits an obstruction the airplane cocks sideways and jerks the nose of the lawn tractor tug with it.

For this reason one of the very best methods of moving an airplane on low-traction surfaces is to get the weight of the nose wheel (or tail wheel) over the drive wheels of the tug. That weight adds substantially to tug traction.

Below you'll see just such a "weight over drive wheels" concept. In this case it's a BestTugs Bravo model tug. Note where the nose wheel is relative to the drive wheels. Note also the size of the drive wheels and the tread pattern on its tires. This type of machine is more likely to succeed when snow and ice are present on the ramp.

Attachments

• BestTugs_Bravo_In-Use_03.jpg
    BestTugs_Bravo_In-Use_03.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 330
You stated: (my personal dispatch limit is -20C with no wind - the stronger the wind the warmer it has to be before I'll launch).

Is this due to wind chill while you are on the ground? I am trying to understand your comment. Does this have anything to do with aircraft performance?

First guess is he’s avoiding human popsicle syndrome. When I was stationed in Germany flying USAF stuff in the 80’s ankle deep in deice fluid muckluks & all….

I’m never gonna be cold again around airplanes. Others love it, menus & all:)

Question about wheel dollies for RV7 with wheel pants

Does anyone have any experience with easy to use main wheel dollies for an RV 7 with wheel pants?

Here is my problem: My hanger door is 22' wide but, as you know, the wingspan of an RV7 is 25'. This means that I have to zig-zag my plane through the door to move it outside. Since the length of an RV7 is only about 20' I'd like to figure some way to move it sideways through the door, wing first. But to do this I need to put the mains on a dolly with castering wheels. All of the dollies that I have found won't work because the wheel pants don't have enough "ground clearance" to get the dolly on the tire without hitting the wheel pants. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone have any experience with easy to use main wheel dollies for an RV 7 with wheel pants?

Here is my problem: My hanger door is 22' wide but, as you know, the wingspan of an RV7 is 25'. This means that I have to zig-zag my plane through the door to move it outside. Since the length of an RV7 is only about 20' I'd like to figure some way to move it sideways through the door, wing first. But to do this I need to put the mains on a dolly with castering wheels. All of the dollies that I have found won't work because the wheel pants don't have enough "ground clearance" to get the dolly on the tire without hitting the wheel pants. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Im not sure if this would work "as is", but it may be able to me modified to make it work? I am the worst backing my plane into a T hangar and thought about getting one for my front wheel. I may try it and return if it doesnt work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-61917.html

Thanks---I've looked at the Harbor Freight wheel dollies and the work pretty well on aircraft without wheel pants...but with wheel pants there is not enough "ground clearance" to get the dolly under the pants.

Built this tug last winter for my 8
Works good

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_190446996.jpg
    IMG_20220113_190446996.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 288
Another DIY tug

Searched Youtube for DIY tugs. This incorporates ideas from several sites.

AL9nZEUZRCpbh1Hq12GrDJFC_K6CcWZ88AUi2BkLkAvUGsRTkvD9ITYcRRc5r2YXL6c9ifvBjZS8WmDm5kQl_VTDQRQPwAOamO6NAu00Z-XtkegZ8Q7W11sPzZkADz6lzIL9gXsQNEoU14kEJdUjgUuxfTKoKg=w800-h1070

AL9nZEXgOB2rxQqEXjjEZ44SpBhGJZaLHhEQt7fg7KT8aD76VikCq3tsV0p4S1ZErdTPMi0OFMNXnUcUK1JECZNraPqJOTJOFVwdLJLICUB-kregX6L_4WAYT5NSeC18wzm--skYE-mNPhONarARsPMIqCXBAA=w800-h1070

AL9nZEU1ySOpJlGVzc8ZK4bgvQZaHq1xEagXjmOiPFWO5mTIFQf3zFUQefac2kWqdqSmo0PyzbSa5M-rmjIv0vQqhGRaV31tvrZkRoHSywSANnU41Lm1BKSQHZmeLPZoMg5qW6ceHVmqgXllm3GQmiCEItoBxQ=w800-h1070

AL9nZEWx_h8plFz-jZZbuWIdAHHg7-ba4KQ2E9II4cLjRu6JlxXuB89WudKJu7HKxj7ouLX47i33Lg5vRkVCvgXIp50OjLywwgbFlQGRUYXGzK5cL7HfHl0HXnQ4BebxSdfa1Ojuv9Di1PKiktFh_fBD1vFwKw=w800-h1070

Last edited:
My New "Steerable" DIY Tug - (For TW Aircraft)

Since my post in August of my "skid steer" tug (which I really didn't like), I have just finished (not yet in paint - sorry) a "3-wheeler" that steers like it has power steering.

Much nicer to be able to conveniently redirect the the airplane's movement as needed - without the struggle of skidding the tires on the pavement.

Some specs: Gearmotor - from a Jazzy powered wheel chair (24vdc). At the time I got a set for $70, including delivery.

Speed - 0 to 1+ feet/second. Infinite speed control from a twist type throttle on the left side of the handlebars.

Power - 2 - 12vdc sealed lead acid batteries, connected in series to net 24vdc too the motor. I used these large automotive type batteries for the down weight on the drive tire - to prevent (hopefully) slippage.

TW Lift - 12vdc Jackscrew rated at 750 N (~165 lb), split 12v off the power grid with a separate rocker switch (up/down) for this action.

Drive Tire - 13 1/2" dia. "knobby" turf type tire.

Drive Axle - Lathe turned custom axle, with "hub" for wheel attachment (bonded in with PTM&W's ES6240 epoxy adhesive. (As a side note: I have tested this adhesive in shear through destructive coupon testing, and have found it to be an excellent alternative to other epoxies.)

Pillow Block Bearings - 3/4" cast iron housing, with ball bearings.

Drive gears/chain - #40 roller chain.

F/R Switch - An industrial grade DPDT that allows for full load energy transfer, w/o the need for any solenoids/contactors. And, I kind of like the big "lever" for the F/R switching.

Drive Wheel Pivot Assembly - A 7/8" machined shaft, running in bronze "oilite" bushings pressed into a machined sleeve.

YMMV - But I like the convenience of "power steering" in the simplest way I could.

HFS

OBTW - Tug is attached to my HRII

Attachments

• Tug for Rocket - Steerable.jpg
    Tug for Rocket - Steerable.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Tug for Rocket - CU of TW Lift.jpg
    Tug for Rocket - CU of TW Lift.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Back