What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 vs RV-8

rjm727

Well Known Member
Well, we thought we were decided on the RV7 but now are having second thoughts about the RV8. We had planned to go to Vans the week of the 10th to see the factory and test fly, however, Vans cannot guarantee which airplanes will be available. The other problem is that the wife is not eligible to fly because she does not have a pilots license. We have been told that Vans will often overlook this, however, it is a very long way to go with no guarantees.

A local builder, Carl, has very generously offered a ride in his beautiful RV9, however, we really need to decide between the 7 and 8 so that we can order our kit. If there is anyone in the area that can give us each a brief ride in either model please let me know. We would be happy to pay for gas and even offer an Outback gift certificate for your time.

We have a hangar at X39 and can meet there or at any of the local fields.

I feel like a student pilot again begging for rides :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Ray and Yvette
(813)732-2715
[/COLOR][/FONT]

If...

you're going to be doing much CC flying, better look at the "7" as your wife might not like looking at the back of your head for that long. :)

The above was posted five minutes ago. I know RV'ers and I'm betting that before this time tomorrow night there will be at least fifteen offers to give Ray and Yvette rides in a 7 or 8. I'm a little far from Land O Lakes, but let me be the first to offer you each a ride in my RV-8 if you get up this way.

...and I'd be glad to take you both in my -7A if you like. Of course I'm just north of Atlanta but at least it's not as far away as Oregon.

Take the ride in the -9, if you can't get one in a -7. There is so little difference as to not make much difference. Also, the fuselage/cockpit is the same in the -7 & -9.

As Ron said, there are a bunch of RV's of all makes down your way.

Now flying my 7A 125 hours that took 4 years to build. A good friend bought a flying 8A and been flying it dual and solo. If I built again would still have trouble deciding witch one to build. The 7 has more room for C.C. but love the 8 flying local and solo.

Squeak
RV7A

The 8 is btween 5 and 10knots faster for anygiven power setting. The side by side seating will cost a little speed but like others have said, my Wife likes to be up front with me. The sbs models also provide more instrument panel room and a willing px (or a flat seat) to work the charts when flying IFR. More exerienced pilots than me fly 8's in IMC, but I don't think I could.

Frank

I can give you both rides in an 8

Ray and Yvette,

I live in Battle Ground, WA, about 20 minutes north of Aurora, Oregon, and would be happy to give you both rides in my RV-8. You ought to try out both RV-7's and RV-8's before making a decision. My wife likes the room and comfort of the back seat on cross countries. Tandem seating is great for aerobatics and formation flying. Email me or give me a call to arrange to meet and go flying when you are in the vicinity of Van's.

Cheers,

Dan Miller
RV-8 687 hours in 3 + years.
cdmiller131 at hotmail.com
360 687 2354 home

Last edited:
7vs8

Hi,
I am in Winter Haven (KGIF) would be happy to give you both a ride in my
8A, have 6's and 7's on the field who will also, I am sure, be willing to accomodate.
Dick

No comparison...

I live nearby and would be glad to give you both a Rocket Ride. Of course, after that, the decision matrix gets smaller :)

Smokey
HR2

Hi Smokey,

I had not seen the HR2 conversion before. I just looked at the website and it certainly is impressive. Is the HR3 for the RV8? What airport are you based at?

Ray

I believe the HR3 is a single seat machine. I don't think it has any direct commonality with the -8, but I'm far from expert on this.

7 vs. 8

My wife had no choice as I had almost completed my RV-8 before we met. She has flown with me about 1/4 to 1/3 the hours flown on our -8.

She is quite content to make her little "nest" in the back seat and enjoy our trips together. She has her own gps and is able to help with navigation or do her counted cross stitch art work in the back seat.

Neither of us are long winded conversationalist, so we don't have to be able to look each other in the eye as we travel.

The -8 was my choice. You build what you want to see when you open the hangar door. Your wife may not travel that much with you...BUT...She may even learn to fly and prefer center line seating when she does!!!!!!!!:D

RV8 vs RV7

On this one there is no wrong answer. Any RV is a great airplane. When I decided to build, my wife and I had a conversation on how much she would likely be flying with me. She said very little so I built an 8A. Part way throught construction I changed jobs and had little time to work on it. A friend approached me about buying the project. I sold him a half interest and we finished it together. I loved the airplane. Centerline seating is the way to go I thought.
On an August trip to see our daughter my wife complained of being too cold in the back seat. This is the main complaint on the 8.
After 18 months of flying the 8, my friend decided he want to go low and slow and bought a Legend cub. He wanted to sell the 8; I did not want to buy him out so we sold it.
I bought a 6A. During the Thanksgiving holiday, my wife and I made the same trip in the 6. She did not complain of the cold. With her controlling the cabin heat, I felt to hot at times.
After flying the 6 for 20 hours I can say I like it as much as I did the 8. They are different. Solo, I prefer the 8. With a special passenger on board, the 6 is my choice.

I bought a 6A. During the Thanksgiving holiday, my wife and I made the same trip in the 6. She did not complain of the cold. With her controlling the cabin heat, I felt to hot at times.
After flying the 6 for 20 hours I can say I like it as much as I did the 8. They are different. Solo, I prefer the 8. With a special passenger on board, the 6 is my choice.

Same here. After many years of riding tandem on a motorcycle, we figured that side by side is the way to go. Nearly all of our flights (wife and I) are cross country, and it's great to be able to see what's ahead at the same time, conversation wise. If I was flying solo most of the time, I'd prefer a 3, 8, Rocket, or F1 too. But I enjoy cross countries throughout the mountain west, and prefer flying with "company". Always flying solo, and especially local, bores me rather quickly. And that goes for several friends of mine too.

After all, within just hours, we have the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Yellowstone, numerous other national parks, and much more. It needs to be shared! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

7 vs 8

I have owned two Rv8's and probably have 50 plus hours in the right seat of a 6 and 7. All great airplanes and its really an individual decision. The only major difference I noticed in the side by side is room. The 8 has much more room for the pilot and passenger (assuming two peolple in the aircraft). The 8 back seat looks small but its not, a 250 lb person can ride in there with no problem, not so in the front seat with another person. My wife loves riding in the backseat and the visibility in the 8 is outstandind.

Pat

Back