What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this skin still salvageable?

vsavatar

I took Van's advice and removed all the vinyl at once. Unfortunately, maneuvering the skin caused numerous scratches in the surface. Do you think this skin is still salvageable? It would suck to have to reorder, but I don't want any cracking or corrosion issues later.

Attachments

• 20221230_193628.jpg
    20221230_193628.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 567
The skin is going to get a lot more scratched up as you work with it when you cleco and rivet. Assuming you are going to have the plane painted, all these scratches will be scuffed off before priming. This is normal. Build on.

I would say build on. It and the other skins are going to get scratched during the build and scuffed prior to paint. Unless you have got real deep gouges I’m sure your fine.

Keith

Those scratches, even though some of them are not insignificant, will probably be scuffed out when you get ready for paint.

But.....try to prevent scratches like that as you build. Buy some moving blankets to protect the skins as you move them around and carefully use good shop technique. Don't lay the skins down on metal chips or other abrasive surfaces....keep your work area very clean. You'll enjoy your project more if you can keep it looking nice. :)

Those scratches, even though some of them are not insignificant, will probably be scuffed out when you get ready for paint.

But.....try to prevent scratches like that as you build. Buy some moving blankets to protect the skins as you move them around and carefully use good shop technique. Don't lay the skins down on metal chips or other abrasive surfaces....keep your work area very clean. You'll enjoy your project more if you can keep it looking nice. :)

I figured this out afterward and put down a moving blanket on the bench. It helped a lot with the other side. I may not be an expert on metalworking, but I do learn.

I was amazed at how much roughening up of the surface the paint shop does. Light surface scratching will be taken out during the paint prep process.

Attachments

• 123_1 3.JPEG
    123_1 3.JPEG
    906 KB · Views: 335
  • 123_1.JPEG
    123_1.JPEG
    782.1 KB · Views: 292
If you want to feel better about this one as you build on, you could go ahead and lightly scuff and prime it. Will be removed later by painters (and no reason to bother with other skins) but no harm in a little primer now.

I see your in Livonia, Mi.. Not a real corrosive area. My paint shop highly recommended not priming the exterior. Much easier for them if nothing has been done to the skin, no primer, no wax, etc.

I took Van's advice and removed all the vinyl at once. Unfortunately, maneuvering the skin caused numerous scratches in the surface. Do you think this skin is still salvageable? It would suck to have to reorder, but I don't want any cracking or corrosion issues later.

I wouldn’t be worried too much about the skin scratches, but I’d take better care not to continue scratching the skins as you move forward.

On the other hand your dimples look to have very poor definition (not crisp at the shoulders). Of course it might just be the photo. If the dimples are not adequately formed your rivets will not sit flush. Plenty of previous threads on this problem.

I wouldn’t be worried too much about the skin scratches, but I’d take better care not to continue scratching the skins as you move forward.

On the other hand your dimples look to have very poor definition (not crisp at the shoulders). Of course it might just be the photo. If the dimples are not adequately formed your rivets will not sit flush. Plenty of previous threads on this problem.

plus two on the dimples.....needs cleaveland dimple dies...:D

Back