What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cup Holders

Can't seem to find a good solution that shows pictures and/or links that are still available. Most previous threads have aged out and you can't see pictures of what guys have done for cup holder options. Looking for a cheap, easy retrofit option, something in the center forward of the fuel selector valve is what I've seen people build but I just have an empty space there. Let me know what works for you guys!

What model? I did a pretty cool cup holder in the side in front and the middle in back in the -8 I (mostly) built.

Chalk bag

I used a rock climbing chalk bag on each side.

They are big enough for a large cup or bottle, can throw your phone or keys in there too.

They come with a strap that I modified with Velcro and the strap tucks under the seat.

Attachments

• 20200911_130234.jpg
    20200911_130234.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 678
Bicycle bottle holders, e.g. this. Cheap and simple.
I put them down at floor level in the right and left corners made by the the side skin and the wing spar (right and left). RV-6 (not A) so there's no landing gear mount in the way.
I'll try to remember to take pics today and post here.

Beware of scope creep. After exploring a number of possible cupholders for my RV12 (legacy model), I finally went with an RV12iS.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.pdf
    122.7 KB · Views: 518

They are big enough for a large cup or bottle, can throw your phone or keys in there too.

They come with a strap that I modified with Velcro and the strap tucks under the seat.

I like that idea. I’ll have to research where one buys a rock climbing chalk bag. Not sure what that is, but probably Amazon knows.
Thanks

Chalk bag is a great idea. I'm going to give that a shot. I have a buddy who has a 3D printer and will see if having something made that will fit in the center in front of the fuel selector valve works. Will report back with results

In my -7A, I removed the fuel selector cover and made another elongated cover in its place. It extends about 4" forward of old cover. I cut about a 3" hole in it, enough to allow a plastic cupholder from West Marine to slip in. I added some angles as legs on each forward corner for support. My Aux Battery slips in just beneath it. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm at the hangar.

Bicycle bottle holders, e.g. this. Cheap, simple and light weight.
I put them down at floor level in the right and left corners made by the the side skin and the wing spar (right and left). RV-6 (not A) so there's no landing gear mount in the way.

Attachments

• holder1.jpg
    holder1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 285
  • holder2.jpg
    holder2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
In my -7A, I removed the fuel selector cover and made another elongated cover in its place. It extends about 4" forward of old cover. I cut about a 3" hole in it, enough to allow a plastic cupholder from West Marine to slip in. I added some angles as legs on each forward corner for support. My Aux Battery slips in just beneath it. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm at the hangar.

This is exactly what I was picturing as a more permanent solution. Send pics when you can

Not mine but I am going to copy.

Attachments

• 1EF32E1E-F39D-40C0-AD4F-F1C3D467DC86.jpg
    1EF32E1E-F39D-40C0-AD4F-F1C3D467DC86.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 397
Here's my solution for adding a cupholder (or two) in my -7A. The forward cupholder is a 3" (I think) unit from West Marine, perfect for a 500 ml water bottle. It doesn't fully recess into the opening because it sits atop my Aux battery. The Yeti unit holds my preferred 30 oz. Rambler.

1D11F3CA-C0F7-45F3-A8D5-AA7C00E2E53D.jpg

Last edited:
Chalk bag

I totally stole this outstanding idea from you, so I wanted to say thanks!

I made little aluminum clips that the chalk bag loops go over, and secured each clip using an existing screw in the seat deck (or whatever you call the bench area that the seats sit on top of).

It's an incredibly handy yet out-of-the-way place to store stuff.

Howdy everyone. Pictures of my simple plywood console.

Attachments

• Console 1.jpg
    Console 1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Console 2.jpg
    Console 2.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Console 3.jpg
    Console 3.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 136

I also stole the chalk bag idea. Works very well. At first I had a one piece bracket velcroed to the front seat pan flange, but the Velcro didn’t hold well, so I modified the bracket to make it a two piece with the lower half riveted to the seat pan flange. Upper bracket part is riveted to the chalk bag and attached to the lower bracket with a #8 screw/platenut.

IMG_2967.jpg

You did indeed contribute!

We just did our first cross country with our UIAGACBs (Upperdeck-Inspired Aviation-Grade Amazon Chalk Bags) and they are awesome. Super convenient and they don’t get in the way.

Glad it worked for you! Makes me feel like I contributed just a little!

Back