What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power

If you are willing to entertain the idea of changing it to a B&C alternator, that might be the last time you buy one otherwise you may be searching for best prices of a PP in the future.

Sadly, PP has had a very poor track record.

If you are willing to entertain the idea of changing it to a B&C alternator, that might be the last time you buy one otherwise you may be searching for best prices of a PP in the future.

Sadly, PP has had a very poor track record.

B&C is not out of the question. The pricing is very much the same. I am on the fence

I loaned a PP alternator to a pilot who was AOG in SoCal with a non-PP alternator. Got him home just fine to Washington state. I've got over 750 hours on my PP alternator....

-Marc

ES Alternator Deluxe

I have this kit new in box unopened dated 06/24/2019. I went different direction. I would sell for $800 you pay shipping.

Attachments

• 20221228_092742.jpg
    20221228_092742.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20221228_092749.jpg
    20221228_092749.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 107
B&C is not out of the question. The pricing is very much the same. I am on the fence

Wow, if b&c is ok for you, get your order in. Mine has been performing flawlessly for 30 years. A rv friend gave up on his PP, too many off and on issues. Some love cuz they have had good luck. Many many here, not so much. Go b&cand never look back !

YMMV

Aircraft Spruce. Make sure you want the PP alt. A search here could save you some grief.

Your Mileage May Vary

First, I have B&C and I have PP.
Second, I have had some issues with PP in the past as I was an early adopter.

Discussions with PP have highlighted to me that the PP being shipped today is VERY DIFFERENT from the original ones. Since the acquisition by Hartzell, the engineering department has “re-engineered” the product.

So, I would say consider having a dialog with PP regarding status of the “currently being shipped product” and then make your decision.

I like the idea of not having an external regulator like PP has. I know that PP has had some reliability issues in the past, are they better now?

B&C gets great reviews, adds a bit of complexity with the external regulator.

From what I can see there is not a lot of price difference.

As others have said above at least do yourself a favor and read all the threads and polls about PP an B&C alternators.
If at the end of all that you decide that the location of the regulator is your driving factor then so be it.
There’s no point rehashing all this again. If the PP was half the price I’d maybe consider it.

I would not accept a PP unit if you gave it to me unless they really have been improved AND have been proven to be reliable.
This week I’ve had a customer with 2 x PP alternators being replaced as # 1 was “spiking” various avionics & giving alarming faults & on the journey here his # 2 PP sheared the splined coupling. (He brought 2 x B&C Alternators & regulators with him).
Btw - his PP Alternators had 201 hrs on them when he arrived.:eek:

128 bucks new, I have had this on my plane since 2015, working fine never had any issues with it, puts out a steady 14.2-14.3 volts. 1 wire. https://www.ase-supply.com/Denso_Alternator_100211_1680_p/nd-100211-1680.htm

Many certified planes are running it, field approved back when they were easy to get

Looks like that was replaced buy this one, same alternator new part number. http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/nd-021080-0760.htm

I wonder if B&C buys them from Denso and modifies it and jacks up the price, its a fine alternator the way it comes from Denso

Last edited:
I have about 1000 hrs on PP

I installed mine in 2014 and have about 1000 hrs on the alternator. No issues at all. Just another datapoint as I am sure BC will do the same.

128 bucks new, I have had this on my plane since 2015, working fine never had any issues with it, puts out a steady 14.2-14.3 volts. 1 wire. https://www.ase-supply.com/Denso_Alternator_100211_1680_p/nd-100211-1680.htm

Many certified planes are running it, field approved back when they were easy to get

Looks like that was replaced buy this one, same alternator new part number. http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/nd-021080-0760.htm

I wonder if B&C buys them from Denso and modifies it and jacks up the price, its a fine alternator the way it comes from Denso
Doug, this is quite the find for genuine ND alternators in these sizes. One popped up with 60 amps too on the second link. I have looked for maybe a hundred hours for a current new ND in this configuration - and will be following up on Monday. Thanks for this vendor post!! I'll bet B&C does just that.
I installed mine in 2014 and have about 1000 hrs on the alternator. No issues at all. Just another datapoint as I am sure BC will do the same.

Can you please provide the part/model number for your PP, or a description? Some models may be better than others. The EI60 has a bad rep.

Last edited:
yes you want the real Denso and not a knockoff. I have around 350 hours on mine, never had s problem with it. I bought another one and its still in the box, I just looked its the new part number. They are Denso from that link I posted, great quality stuff.

I bought the install kit for the L40 from B&C when I bought my Denso 40 amp, fit perfect, https://bandc.com/product/replaceme...case-mount-for-use-with-brand-x-starter/#belt

The kit was 65 bucks a few years ago when I bought it, its went up a bit. The boss mount is $85 and prewired field connector $17

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-100552_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-100552_Gallery.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20230128-102240_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-102240_Gallery.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20230128-102329_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-102329_Gallery.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
yes you want the real Denso and not a knockoff. I have around 350 hours on mine, never had s problem with it. I bought another one and its still in the box, I just looked its the new part number. They are Denso from that link I posted, great quality stuff.

I bought the install kit for the L40 from B&C when I bought my Denso 40 amp, fit perfect, https://bandc.com/product/replaceme...case-mount-for-use-with-brand-x-starter/#belt

The kit was 65 bucks a few years ago when I bought it, its went up a bit. The boss mount is $85 and prewired field connector $17
Ruready,

What engine and air frame do you have your Denso on?

Ruready; Looks like that was replaced buy this one said:
http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/nd-021080-0760.htm[/url]

Doug,
Are these alternators internally or externally regulated? The specs does not say.
Thank you.
Johan

Doug, this is quite the find for genuine ND alternators in these sizes. One popped up with 60 amps too on the second link. I have looked for maybe a hundred hours for a current new ND in this configuration - and will be following up on Monday. Thanks for this vendor post!! I'll bet B&C does just that.

Can you please provide the part/model number for your PP, or a description? Some models may be better than others. The EI60 has a bad rep.

It was shipped from Van. Invoice sez 1 ES alternator deluxe 60A kit w/ov protection. No part number given.

I recall replacing the brushes once just because it was easy to do.

Back