What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Door Hinge Modifications

One silly thing that has always bugged be a little bit, was the somewhat exposed piano hinge for the baggage door. I am curious if anyone else has tried something like this, and if there were any known pitfalls before I take this much further.

Here is how it looks on the plans:

7d09a2_6dff04ec07bb4554b0ad90a4fe57d0df~mv2.jpg

Potentially the gap could be closed by extending the baggage door and F-873H Spacer so they overlap like this:

7d09a2_8e0ad00e838346ffb49fec494fd0a3e0~mv2.jpg

This does not leave room for a hinge anymore, and would leave gaps down the sides of the door at either end of F-873. Therefore F-873 would change from a straight strip to a "U" shape. This would create a complete lip around the baggage door opening like the following sketch:

7d09a2_342ffd3fb1a44e54b7cd049f31e57b11~mv2.jpg

This necessitates a gooseneck hinge like commonly used on car trunks, and RV oil door modifications. The hinge is designed to allow the door to open slightly past 90°.

7d09a2_6628a132250d4c239f3d2378672ddb1a~mv2.jpg

Hinge shown in the open position.

7d09a2_f5d3f0bebdea436b825162767dced3fa~mv2.jpg

Another advantage of this is the ability to use a small gas strut that holds the door closed in the closed position, and open in the open position. Picture the pencil in the following picture as a strut trying to extend. Note that force from the strut would cause the door to close.

7d09a2_2a95a0832bd84f9d9d507509ff0be287~mv2.jpg

In the open position, the line of action moves to the other side of the hinge point, holding the door open.

7d09a2_70896539ea2a4f96bbd9b8eae69bc1df~mv2.jpg

I would likely create the fixed portion of hinge out of a piece of angle riveted to the hinge support, and then the hinges would be made of several pieces riveted to the door angle. I need to look for sources of the struts, as well as design the rest of the structure, and make the new parts to check feasibility.

I have this documented in my build log here:
https://mattdecraene.wixsite.com/website/post/baggage-door-modifications

Yes, this has been done. I think there are some threads here on VAF, but might take a bit of "Sherlock Holmes" work to find them. I looked at this briefly, but decided it was beyond my skillset. This baggage door is a 3-d part and I was not sure that I could get it to look good using the standard method, much less a different design.

I agree that it would look better with the type of hinge you are considering. My plan was to build the door and make sure it fits perfectly, and then add the hinge to match exactly what the door needs. I believe the hinge would need to be very adjustable in a few directions. I'll be the 3d printer guys would be able to come with something amazing.

If you figure this out, please post, I'm sure others would be very interested. After that, have a look at the door closing/locking mechanism, which I think could also use a bit of innovation, even though the standard one works surprisingly well. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I did a relatively quick search and had not found anything.

I built a hinge like the one Spruce sells for my dad’s -7 sometime in 2004. For this concept, the big difference is it eliminates the piano hinge altogether, and puts the hinges at the ends only. It relies on the section thickness of the hinge for stiffness instead of length, as well as the relatively think angle in the door, and c-channel in the opening.

This avoids sweeping a large area of the baggage compartment with the hinge itself.

I plan to follow the Plans order, where the door is built and fitted before the hinge(s) are drilled.

As far as the latch goes, my current plan is to modify the Van’s lock installation to make it flush mounted. I considered an internal release but the longer on complicates that a bit.

Hi Matt,
I implemented a similar "goose neck" hinge solution for my RV-8 baggage compartment and it has served me well for 11+ years. A few comments based on my experience.

• Goose neck hinges were mounted on the outside edge of the baggage door lip.
  • I used a pair of rod end bearings at the hinge point. Sliding the rod end bearings in/out will provide some adjustment for fit
  • I've made six trips to KOSH and where my front baggage compartment has been stuffed. I haven't yet encountered any interference with baggage loads.
  • There will be some lateral play and a strut will be needed. I used a hinged strut that keeps it open and helps stabilize any lateral movement
  • Where I did encounter interference: I have a removeable panel to gain access to the rear of the avionics bay. Due to interference with the baggage door goose neck hinge, I couldn't put a piano hinge on the access panel to allow it to swing open. Not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.
Let me know if want any additional information. I can snap some pics the next time I'm at the hangar.

RV-14 parts might help (provide a pattern). Changing the cross piece F-873G-1 might be useful. Specifically the oil door hinge is similar: cowl-00005 C-shaped /goose neck hinge. By the way, if you are doing the piano hinge cowl attachment then the RV-14s FS-00005 Cowl pin retention bracket might be useful also.

The RV-14 (thumb drive) chapter 45 shows this

some screen shots here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZXRRfhteE55ADhzY9

Last edited:
PM sent!

I sent you a PM...

I used two pieces of aluminum angle to make a hidden hinge. Also moved the door to the left side of the boot cowl just for fun. I'll email you a couple of pics to show the door hinge.

Regards, Lance

I received a copy of the plans drafted by John Huft in 2007 and installed the goose neck hinges. They have stood up well through 11 years of flying, including flight through rain. Below are the specs and a few pics of my install. LMK if you have any questions.

Attachments

• hidden Hinge Front view Open.jpg
    hidden Hinge Front view Open.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 182
  • John Huft 1 of 2.jpg
    John Huft 1 of 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 147
  • John Huft 2 of 2.jpg
    John Huft 2 of 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Hidden Hinge Open.jpg
    Hidden Hinge Open.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 227
  • Hidden Hinge Rod End Bearing.jpg
    Hidden Hinge Rod End Bearing.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Hidden Hinge Top View.jpg
    Hidden Hinge Top View.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Looks good, thanks. I have some materials coming next week for a couple of the parts. I will update this as I go.

What thickness did you make the hinges out of?

Back