What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a new tablet to run Garmin Pilot

donaziza

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I've been using a Nexus 9 in my 8 to run Garmin Pilot for going onto 9 years now. Its a 6" by 9" tablet, and I've loved it, because I could SEE it in bright sunlight. Well. its not working so-to-very good anymore, and Google doesn't make Nexus anymore. I know there's that iPad Pro that Dougie R has, but that thing is gynormous, ie, I can't fit it in my cockpit. Anybody got any ideas on a tablet bright enough to see in sunlight, but not bigger than 6 by 9 inches?? Android, iPad, whatever.

I have used both android tablets and apple ones with garmin pilot and always thought garmin pilot was better on the ipad. I'd just get the cheapest ipad that meets your size but make sure to get the cellular version so it has a gps.

Every airline I know of uses iPad pro’s with the Pivot case and mounting system and it honestly works great. I know of some smaller operators using iPad mini’s as well but we use iPad Pros.
I’m not sure if it’s still the case or not but it used to be that to get the integrated gps you needed to buy a cellular iPad and the wifi only ones didn’t have it so you’d need a Bluetooth gps.

I have used both android tablets and apple ones with garmin pilot and always thought garmin pilot was better on the ipad. I'd just get the cheapest ipad that meets your size but make sure to get the cellular version so it has a gps.

Hey Dave, I thought an iPad was an iPad. I never heard of this "cellular" version. Can you elaborate a bit??:D

I run iFlyGPS on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2020)(5" x 8") and it seems bright enough. The iFlyGPS has 3 brightness setting.
It fits in a RAM mount for small tablets (but bigger than the RAM mount for my defunct Nexus 7).

Hey Dave, I thought an iPad was an iPad. I never heard of this "cellular" version. Can you elaborate a bit??:D

For some time now, these devices have come in two flavors (regardless of size or memory).

1. With hardware for "cellular service". That is, you can access the internet without the need for a local wi-fi connection. This cellular link is you data link.
2. Those WITHOUT it. (These cost a few dollars less.)

The "hardware" for the cellular and the "hardware" for gps was an integrated component as I recall. So if you got the cellular unit (even though you did NOT sign up for the data plan and cellular service) the device had the built in GPS.

That way apps like Foreflight and Garmin Pilot could access it and know where you were on the map without having to connect to some other "external" GPS.

If I am wrong, those with better info, please correct my note here.

Hey guys, I've been using a Nexus 9 in my 8 to run Garmin Pilot for going onto 9 years now. Its a 6" by 9" tablet, and I've loved it, because I could SEE it in bright sunlight. Well. its not working so-to-very good anymore, and Google doesn't make Nexus anymore. I know there's that iPad Pro that Dougie R has, but that thing is gynormous, ie, I can't fit it in my cockpit. Anybody got any ideas on a tablet bright enough to see in sunlight, but not bigger than 6 by 9 inches?? Android, iPad, whatever.

It'll run well on an iPad Mini 4, which you can get used for reasonable prices. If you need position information, you'll need an external GPS or to bluetooth connect it to Garmin (for instance) avionics.

I use mine with a simple glass screen protector and no case. It's lightweight and easy to handle. It does tend to overheat so you might want a cooling fan on it, or prevent it from being in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

me and tribe

I just bought my tribe the same thing I have. An ipad mini with cellular service, and the RAM mount kit for the 172. Total cost was 850. I signed up for cellular service and can get weather updates where ever I go.

With the mount, it is important to know which generation Ipad mini you have because the mounts are different. Also, the ipad mini's run warm. I had mine on a knee pad for the last 4 years, but just switched to a yoke mount in the 172. I bought my daughter a yoke mount since she had nothing, not even a kneepad. Once I tried it, I gave up the knee pad and bought a yoke mount for my self.
My son just did his first cross country using the ipad and is buying himself an early gift.

But once I start flying behind the G3X system in my RV, I wont be using the ipad any more in flight, except at home to work out flight plans.

For some time now, these devices have come in two flavors (regardless of size or memory).

1. With hardware for "cellular service". That is, you can access the internet without the need for a local wi-fi connection. This cellular link is you data link.
2. Those WITHOUT it. (These cost a few dollars less.)

The "hardware" for the cellular and the "hardware" for gps was an integrated component as I recall. So if you got the cellular unit (even though you did NOT sign up for the data plan and cellular service) the device had the built in GPS.

That way apps like Foreflight and Garmin Pilot could access it and know where you were on the map without having to connect to some other "external" GPS.

If I am wrong, those with better info, please correct my note here.

I think you have it correct, but our definition of "a few dollars" might not be the same. My recollection for the models I've purchased is that the Verizon or AT&T compatible models (cellular) are always $100 more.

I've opted for the wifi only models lately. I have a cell phone after all, but mostly because the wifi ipad can connect to a bunch of other GPS sources with wifi (my UAT echo/SKYfix) or directly to an older Bad Elf too. As long as they don't change the connector again, the old Bad Elf should work from generation to generation as a GPS of last resort. Bad Elf has bluetooth versions now, and don't appear to still make the "lightning" connector version.

I hardly miss the cellular on the ipad.

I think you have it correct, but our definition of "a few dollars" might not be the same. My recollection for the models I've purchased is that the Verizon or AT&T compatible models (cellular) are always $100 more.

I've opted for the wifi only models lately. I have a cell phone after all, but mostly because the wifi ipad can connect to a bunch of other GPS sources with wifi (my UAT echo/SKYfix) or directly to an older Bad Elf too. As long as they don't change the connector again, the old Bad Elf should work from generation to generation as a GPS of last resort. Bad Elf has bluetooth versions now, and don't appear to still make the "lightning" connector version.

I hardly miss the cellular on the ipad.

I'm using a Garmin GDL-39 in my 8, ( wireless connection) and WiFi at home. (If this helps with what you guys are saying) (I don't mean WiFi, I'm getting it off the internet at home.) (Oh and also--The Nexus 9 I have been using gets downright hot on the upper back righthand corner, but its mounted on one of those Ram mounts, with an inch or so space between it, and the instrument panel, so I've never had a problem)

Last edited:
Happy with the display in bright day light. Thin and light. Mounts with RAM mount from the side of the panel. For specs, see:
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s7+-10336.php
Yeah, that's nice, but it's huuuuge. Read the original post, he's looking for smaller.

I'm in the same boat, I need to find a smallish Android tablet that matches the screen specs of the old Google Nexus tablets, but they just don't seem to exist anymore. I started with a Nexus 7, then upgraded to a newer Nexus, but it got slow and wonky, so now I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8". Now it seems to be getting a bit long in the tooth and needs a replacement, but in the Android world there are no 7-8" tablets that match the screen resolution specs of the old Nexus or the Tab S2.

I know I could just bite the bullet and get an iPad mini, but I'd prefer the Android; I've never had one overheat and shut down, plus they're hundreds cheaper than the iPad. :mad:

just an out in left field option
A couple years ago now I bought a Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab to run Garmin Pilot.
I don't even know if they are still making or selling that one.
I wanted Android and it was one of the only android tablets I could find at the time with internal GPS.
It worked pretty well but I wasn't overly impressed with Garmin's app. No specific reasons really comes to mind...it worked.
I figure when I start flying again I'll probably give Foreflight a try on ipad

Competition

just an out in left field option
A couple years ago now I bought a Lenovo Yoga Smart Tab to run Garmin Pilot.
I don't even know if they are still making or selling that one.
I wanted Android and it was one of the only android tablets I could find at the time with internal GPS.
It worked pretty well but I wasn't overly impressed with Garmin's app. No specific reasons really comes to mind...it worked.
I figure when I start flying again I'll probably give Foreflight a try on ipad

Over the last several years, it seems Garmin Pilot and Foreflight both have improved by leaps and bounds. I think any opinions formed back then should be re evaluated with the newer versions of each.

Competition is a good thing.

For something in the 8" screen size range, take a look for a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3. It's a couple of years old now, but can still be found at some retailers, and if you're used to a Nexus 9 you're not afraid of slightly older tech. :)

For something in the 8" screen size range, take a look for a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3. It's a couple of years old now, but can still be found at some retailers, and if you're used to a Nexus 9 you're not afraid of slightly older tech. :)

Yep, I’d spotted that one recently, and it’s really the only one that fits the bill for Android these days… and yet, the screen resolution still isn’t up to par with the older Nexus and Tab S2 units. And, the price tag is almost up there with an iPad mini, oh, the horror! But, that’s just coming from me being a cheapskate airline pilot… I know y’all have heard the joke about how copper wire was invented; two airline pilots fighting over a penny. I’m like that on occasion, but trying to get over it.

Regarding Foreflight vs Garmin Pilot; I started with GP on Android ten years ago. It started out pretty sketchy on capability compared to Foreflight, but it’s been vastly improved over the years to be on par with Foreflight. The problem is, the improvements require more power from the tablet… otherwise I’d still be using my old Nexus.

I needed something compact. We use the iPad mini at work and I ended up getting it for the RV8 anything bigger and it is cramped. I use it with a pivot case and leg strap. Works great in this configuration.

I'm using a Garmin GDL-39 in my 8, ( wireless connection) and WiFi at home. (If this helps with what you guys are saying) (I don't mean WiFi, I'm getting it off the internet at home.) (Oh and also--The Nexus 9 I have been using gets downright hot on the upper back righthand corner, but its mounted on one of those Ram mounts, with an inch or so space between it, and the instrument panel, so I've never had a problem)

If you have the GDL-39 that can act as a gps for the ipad but I have found that having the cellular version is very handy. I think others have explained the difference.

Back