What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

red cube mount

Chipper G

Well Known Member
Anyone have any pics of their red cube fuel flow transducer on an IO360-M1B? Trying to find a mount or best location

This meets all the red cube mounting requirements.
- Not on the engine
- After the engine mechanical pump
- No 90 degree fittings on the cube
- Up hill flow out of the cube

This location has proven to be very accurate. One change from the photo - replace the steel AN nipples with aluminum.

Carl
111-EDBF8-609-F-4-EFC-9464-5514-EE4-ADE79.jpg

- Not on the engine

This location has proven to be very accurate. One change from the photo - replace the steel AN nipples with aluminum.

Carl

Fuel injected? This looks like a good spot for sure

I made the same requirements with very similar looking results on my RV6 - carbureted.

479CBE78-0FCC-424D-9E8D-7B02838BCDAD.jpg

Exhaust pipe heat shield not installed yet in this picture.

i see you have some sort of clamp on the ball mount in the exhaust system can you tell me about it? Mine exhaust did not come with anything on that junction

That ball joint connection is standard on the crossover exhaust system supplied from Vans in the RV6 O-360 exhaust kit. There are four springs, one on each side of the two pipes, that allows some movement between the header pipes and the airframe supported tail pipes on your shaking engine. Those springs are very strong, and requires some effort to install. Works fine so far - only at 50 hours so far though.

Carls location is a good alternative to our flow divider mount. Also--Dan Hortons version of mounting it above the servo near the simp parting line.

Tom

I’m reviewing many red cube install posts for carbed side by sides. I’m doing the install now On my 9a, carbed, but because my fuel pump is forward top left of the engine (H2 wackyness) my fuel lines are already long. Regardless, I have read the EI instructions, seen postmortem inspections of red cubes, and if it was mounted with inlet straight up and outlet straight down, I don’t see how bubbles could be a problem. There doesn’t seem to be a pocketed area for bubbles to hang up in. if there is something else I’m not considering, I’d like to hear it.

I just hate the idea of mounting this device close to the exhaust pipes, knowing I’ll probably have 48” of hose between the fuel pump and carb already. I don’t have a lot of space to work with due to the firewall mounted oil cooler.
Thoughts, please.

- Not on the engine

Carl
Why replace the steel with aluminum? A lot of other posts recommend using stainless steel and dropping the aluminum fittings.

I’m reviewing many red cube install posts for carbed side by sides. I’m doing the install now On my 9a, carbed, but because my fuel pump is forward top left of the engine (H2 wackyness) my fuel lines are already long. Regardless, I have read the EI instructions, seen postmortem inspections of red cubes, and if it was mounted with inlet straight up and outlet straight down, I don’t see how bubbles could be a problem. There doesn’t seem to be a pocketed area for bubbles to hang up in. if there is something else I’m not considering, I’d like to hear it.

I just hate the idea of mounting this device close to the exhaust pipes, knowing I’ll probably have 48” of hose between the fuel pump and carb already. I don’t have a lot of space to work with due to the firewall mounted oil cooler.
Thoughts, please.
My thought is that you are right - given the choice of mounting vertically and mounting close to a heat source, I would choose the first option. Also, based on probably the same information you cited in your post, I can't see any issue with vertical mounting of the Red Cube. Here's another good thread that you have probably already seen, where some (most?) of the installs are vertical, although for different reasons.

Back