What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt

Skybolts

Any tips on installing the sky bolt fasteners? Do’s and do not’s

The only "Do" I recommend is to screw the receptacles out, lube with Boelube and screw them back in before starting. I had one or two lock up from burrs. It's really annoying to remove the cowl just to replace a stuck receptacle. They lock up if a burr gets in the threads.
You may want to look at adding a shim between firewall and skybolt flanges so the cowl doesn't sit proud.
They are pretty straightforward.
I have a magazine draft with destructions . If you want to read it, shoot me an e-mail (below).

The only "Do" I recommend is to screw the receptacles out, lube with Boelube and screw them back in before starting. I had one or two lock up from burrs. It's really annoying to remove the cowl just to replace a stuck receptacle. They lock up if a burr gets in the threads.
You may want to look at adding a shim between firewall and skybolt flanges so the cowl doesn't sit proud.
They are pretty straightforward.
I have a magazine draft with destructions . If you want to read it, shoot me an e-mail (below).

Thanks. I have that email almost ready to send to you

Skybolts

I see you're building an 8:
I am building a second 8 and I will use Skybolts again. What I will do differently is not use skybolts at the very front of the cowl. The curve is such that that it makes it difficult to get the top cowl on as the Skybolts stick out and there is little flex. I love the Skybolts, but I will use screws on the first few inches at the very front.
2 cents
Dave

I see you're building an 8:
I am building a second 8 and I will use Skybolts again. What I will do differently is not use skybolts at the very front of the cowl. The curve is such that that it makes it difficult to get the top cowl on as the Skybolts stick out and there is little flex. I love the Skybolts, but I will use screws on the first few inches at the very front.
2 cents
Dave

I have an 8 also. Rather that using screws for those front two Skybolt locations, if you just leave off the retaining clips that hold the grommets in place you can completely remove the stud/grommet assemblies from the cowl when unfastening them so they don't stick out.

One dirty little secret about Skybolts is the cowling puckers between the fasteners in flight and in a few hours the cowling stays that shape. Mine did and I used 3” spacing. The big kids reinforce the cowling. Discussion below:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=200409&highlight=Skybolt

I love the way they work and look and am able to get the cowling on easily with all the fasteners captive

Attachments

• 20FB738D-BD57-4858-89FA-EA6E23A89018.jpg
    20FB738D-BD57-4858-89FA-EA6E23A89018.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Skybolt tool

Since this is a Skybolt thread, maybe someone will benefit and answer a question.
First
After making my fingers sore, I finally figured out how the spring clip tool works to install the clips. Notice the photo. That's ready to snap a clip into place. Sorry, the clip is not showing up in the photo.
The tapered bushing is hidden inside the tool. Pull the rubber part. Remove the bushing. Place the rubber handle over the split end of the tool. Slip the clip over the narrow end of the bushing. Insert the tapered end into the non-split end of the tool. Insert the assembly into the Grommet. The non-tapered end fits the grommet. Hold the outside and push. Snaps right on. Doh!

Ok, now the question.
How does the split end of the tool remove the clip?

20221028_152050.jpg

Last edited:
I have an 8 also. Rather that using screws for those front two Skybolt locations, if you just leave off the retaining clips that hold the grommets in place you can completely remove the stud/grommet assemblies from the cowl when unfastening them so they don't stick out.

Now why didn't I think of that........ :)

Got my spacing all set up and starting to rivet. Keeping up with the different rivet lengths is a challenge.

I would look hard at getting a jig to hold everything together. I hear they are available, but did not know about them. I did my 8A cowl without, and had many issues with having to reposition grommets that would be off center if anything moved. Using the piano hinges on the side horizontal positions seems to be working out well.
C Dominey
Alvin, Texas

I do not like those odious rings.

I "saved" the clips and use Viton o-rings. 250 hrs and have not lost a single one.

I'm thinking about using Skybolts on my RV-9 wheel pants. I appreciate any feedback doing this or not.

I’m not sure the advantage for the wheel pants. Screws work pretty well and I believe are more secure and tight than skybolts. I have them on my cowl but would not use them on my wheel pants. But it is your plane so do what you want on it!

I'll shelve the idea. Wheel pants are the most removed item right up there with the cowling. The wheel pants on my 26 year old RV-6 show wear in the form of elongated holes. The upper cowling has camlocks that have been trouble free.

I'll shelve the idea. Wheel pants are the most removed item right up there with the cowling. The wheel pants on my 26 year old RV-6 show wear in the form of elongated holes. The upper cowling has camlocks that have been trouble free.
The biggest reason I can see for not using the skybolts on the wheel pants is how deep they go into the wheel pant. They would get pretty close to the tire if they replaced screws. At least they would on mine. Bending the mounting plate to fit the curve would be tricky too. In the end it only takes a few min to unscrew the half’s so not a lot of time savings. The holes can get larger and then you use a tinnerman washer or fill with a little epoxy. If you end up using the skybolts make sure you take pictures. They would look really nice for sure.

Back