What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-Rings AND Gaskets On Intake Flange?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
I've been chasing down an induction leak, finally identified the source.

I'd posted about what kind of induction system is on my plane. With good help here, it is confirmed that I have a Sky Dynamics cold air induction system. After rooting through all the paperwork that came with this purchase, I found a Sky Dynamics installation instruction sheet. So far, so good.

So earlier today I do the soapy water leak check. The very last place I sprayed, inside bolt on cylinder #4, started bubbling big time.

Ok, time to pull down the intake system and replace the gaskets...yep, I could see gasket edges, even though the SD system has O-Rings. Well....yep, each cylinder had an intake gasket...AND an O-Ring! What the heck? In the pic, you can see where the cyl 4 o-ring was badly pinched, and this was the area of the bubbles (no surprise after seeing this.)

I'd ordered Superior gaskets (thinking that's all I had, based on seeing gasket edges), but now with the O-Rings, my questions are: Why use both? SHOULD you use both? Will a gasket seal properly with that grooved flange but no o-ring in it?

I'm having a LOT of trouble establishing comms with Sky Dynamics. Not very responsive at all; calls and messages-left go unanswered.

Any thoughts here?

Attachments

• IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Cyl 4c.JPG
    Cyl 4c.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back