What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's RV8 fuel gauges

Prepperpilot

Well Known Member
Just purchased RV8 and having great fun.
I do however find Van's fuel gauges are all over the place. Fill up full and it's never even. And seems to burn very unevenly switching tanks evry 30min also. ???
Bad fuel senders? Or Gauge? Suggestions much
appreciated.
Chris

Test your ground to the gauge. Ground your gauges direct to a good known ground, or - of battery as a test.

Thank you for suggestions.
I want to put an EMS eventually with fuel levels. Might solve problem with new senders and wiring.

I'm having fuel guage problems too. I've got an RV9A and I'm the third owner, not a builder. My gauge is through a g3x touch. The gauges do not work right. Sometimes they move and sometimes they don't and they are never accurate. I tried grounding the sender to the airframe, no change either side. I tried disconnecting the wire to the sender and there was no change in guages at all on either side. They are float type senders - I think the "normal" one for the 9. Is this possibly a G3X setup issue? Is seems crazy that neither Guage changed when I disconnected the wires or grounded them to the airframe using a piece of wire.

My RV8 is still in avionics upgrade. Changed all the wiring. I mean all wiring. There were so many grounds, so instead of chasing them, just ripped out all the old automotive stuff original builder used. Put it shielded wiring throughout. Hope to fix problem. Gunna have fuel flow indicator through Dynon HDX upgrade. Much better I hope...There is one thing I did notice. The old fuel gauges were more accurate, when there was less than 10 gallons. The only time they seem to be accurate. I try to never land with less than 10gallons total in tanks. Usually have to use to bathroom after 2hrs anyway.
Cheers.

Back