What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P60G2 PPE

lyosha

Hi Folks,

I've narrowed my primer search to P60G2 and EkoPrime.

One is clearly significantly more toxic than the other, so wondering what a reasonable level of PPE (especially with regards to the P60G2 fumes) is for the stuff.

Respirator

Hi Folks,

I've narrowed my primer search to P60G2 and EkoPrime.

One is clearly significantly more toxic than the other, so wondering what a reasonable level of PPE (especially with regards to the P60G2 fumes) is for the stuff.

Ideally, a positive pressure respirator like a Hobby Air, full Tyvek suit, gloves, etc. Kinda depends on where you paint.
If you spray a lot in a confined space, you need more protection.
I sprayed virtually all the P60G2 outside with a respirator and 3M 60926 filters. Minimal fog outside.
When I shoot a lot of paint in the barn, I run the Hobby Air because I'm in a cloud.
Basic rule, you should never smell anything. If you do, something in the PPE isn't working.

Just Me

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you follow my method. You must decide for yourself what is safe.

I had a chemist review the P60G2 MDS and she told me the quad valent chromium is bad, but the solvent is much worse for me. So when using P60G2, I wear gloves and a full respirator from the time the containers are open, until all the stuff is dry and disposed of. If I smell the stuff, it means my PPE is not good enough. I use a 3M respirator/mask and gloves. I built a simple PVC spray both with a filter for incoming air and also for outgoing air. And i spray outside.

With the good quality 3M mask, I dont smell anything. My only wish is that I have something over my eyes. right now it is just safety glasses, but the eyes are also susceptible to fumes. If I was to build again, I think I would use a better mask that also covers the eyes, like on "Breaking Bad"
JMHO YMMV.

All of the nasty chemicals discussed above are why I landed on Ekoprime, and in the end, I’m very happy with it. It’s easy to spray, leftover primer can just be saved for the next spray session, there’s very little smell, and once it sets up, it’s plenty durable for interior surfaces. If I ever end up building plane #2, I’ll be using it again. I still wear a basic mask when I spray it, although I’m not sure that’s actually necessary.

Back