What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Venting Inflatable Spray Booth

burtw

Sponsor
After going through the primer selection process (which took me way too long) I decided on P60G2. Since its now getting too cold to prime outside in New England, I have an inflatable Vevor booth I can use in my detached garage workshop. The booth has two large panels which contain filters on the sides and has a blower motor for providing positive air flow. I figure the filters will take care of any overspray from exiting the booth and contaminating the shop, but not sure about the fumes. Don't want the shop filled with fumes when I'm done. Ive read about various blower set ups for home made booths, but was wondering if anyone has dealt with this with one of the inflatables. Current thinking is to partially open the door and use a fan for negative pressure out the partially opened garage door. Much thanks!

Exhaust

I live at 7500 in the Colorado mountains. Cold. I've sprayed P60G2 down to 32 degrees many times. The trick is a warm (60 degrees) shop.
Release the shop garage door. Prep everything. Open. Run parts out to the spray area. Shoot. Run parts back inside. The great thing about it is how fast it sets. I can touch parts within a minute even at those temps.

No familiarity with that inflatable booth.
Fumes from P60G2 are bad for your health, you do want an exhaust. I plumbed a dryer vent in the shop wall. A bilge blower sends all the fumes outside. I used it many times in the dead of Winter with a temp spray booth. A dryer vent plug seals it when not in use.

Thanks! Steve, some good work with the booth. Larry, I'll probably try the running outside until can figure out the vent setup. The booth has positive pressure and large filters in the walls, but I don't think they take care of the fumes, though I really don't know. Appreciate the help.

Burt, one very smart thing my friend did was build a 2x4 frame inside the booth. That way he did not have to run the fan 24/7 or worry about power outages collapsing the both onto his freshly painted airplane

That looks like a great idea. I might eventually do that, Steve. Right now I only have the vertical stab ready for priming which is about 10 relatively small parts plus whatever I decide to do inside the skin. Hoping to do it in one session. Then assemble the VS and do the prep work on the rudder before that's ready for priming. Leaving the booth up when there's such a gap between uses takes away for other things I need that space for, especially in the winter. Also might do quick runs outside like Larry mentioned if not too cold. If I was doing something as extensive as you showed in your blog, I'd definitely build the frame.

Back