What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-8 landing gear

Mark33

Well Known Member
I’m considering upgrading the landing gear on my -8. I contacted Grove but unfortunately they told me they no longer make them. There was also someone else that was making aftermarket gear, but I don’t remember who it was. From what I remember they were making them in both aluminum and titanium. So, if anyone has a set of Groves they like to sell, I’d be interested in them. Also, if anyone knows the name and contact information of the other company that was making them, I’d appreciate it if you could post that information.
Thanks!

Thanks Riseric for directing Mark33 to our website! He called us straightaway and got the information he was after.

FWIW: We do have one set of RV-8 Aluminum Airfoil gear currently in-stock and a whole 'nother batch of legs coming in springtime.

Has anyone used Skydesigns airfoil gear for an 8 ? I wanted Grove...but...Is aluminum vs steel ?? Any issues with bending since they aren't spring steel ?
Thanks

Has anyone used Skydesigns airfoil gear for an 8 ? I wanted Grove...but...Is aluminum vs steel ?? Any issues with bending since they aren't spring steel ?
Thanks

My previous RV-8 has the Grove aluminum non-airfoil gear (~2300 hours). My current RV-8 has the Grove aluminum airfoil gear (~1250 hours). No problems with either Grove gear.

I would not hesitate to put the SkyDesigns (by Ken Krueger) aluminum airfoil gear on my RV-8. It also has a nicer/smoother airfoil shape than the Grove airfoil gear.

Bruce Eicher was the first to put the SkyDesigns gear on his RV-8. Unfortunately, the pics are gone.

Last edited:
Thank You for your imput...being new to this forum, I have learned to listen to everyone. I knew that I had always wanted Grove gear, but, now we all have another source. I, also, will contact them shortly

Instant Gratification...

...now available for those interested in a set of Sky Designs Airfoil Aluminum RV-8 Landing Gear. We just received another batch from our supplier and, after packing-up and shipping-out, we have a few sets not yet spoken for. We also offer the NAS1804-6 nuts for a nominal "up-charge".

Attachments

• a load of sexy legs.jpg
    a load of sexy legs.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 237
...now available for those interested in a set of Sky Designs Airfoil Aluminum RV-8 Landing Gear. We just received another batch from our supplier and, after packing-up and shipping-out, we have a few sets not yet spoken for. We also offer the NAS1804-6 nuts for a nominal "up-charge".

DM sent

Just put on my Sky Designs Airfoil Aluminum RV-8 Landing Gear and I am wicked happy.
Keith was there to even help at Synergy.
The upsize tires look good and cannot wait for the wheel pants to go on which Sky Designs developed!

Just put on my Sky Designs Airfoil Aluminum RV-8 Landing Gear and I am wicked happy.
Keith was there to even help at Synergy.
The upsize tires look good and cannot wait for the wheel pants to go on which Sky Designs developed!

Sounds like you will be ready for some back-country adventures!

Hi Ken,

could you also produce a one piece gear, either with or without airfoil?

Hi Ingo,
We have looked into making one-piece RV-8 landing gear. Here is what we're up against:

A one-piece RV-8 main landing gear (MLG) would be just over 8 ft long when flat. The local heat treatment facility is not able to accommodate a part that long so it would mean a long drive made multiple times during the manufacturing process. Every part of the production process becomes more cumbersome with such a long part.

Another thing to remember is that the RV-8 fuselage was not designed for a one-piece MLG. Much of the F-802 gear towers become extra weight if/when a one-piece MLG is installed as the primary bending loads are reacted at the lower longerons rather than at the big heavy steel WD-813 landing gear weldments.

All this effort and expense just doesn't make sense. What do you see as the advantage of a one-piece MLG?

There are several sets of our RV-8 MLG in Germany so perhaps you could talk to one of them about their Sky Designs landing gear.

All that said, we'd be happy to ship a set of our shapely, sexy aluminum airfoil landing gear to you!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

The two piece gear legs from SD are a work of art! I just helped install a set on a QB fuse and it all went together perfectly, looks great and solid as a rock. 1+ for the whole system!

Hi Ken,

I’ve seen some pictures of gear legs folded under the fuselage after a ground loop. I know, that there are hundreds of RV8s flying and landing without any problems, but why should Murphy just spare me?
I’m planning to bolt the gear to the WD-813 landing gear weldments as in this link One-piece Grove Gear - Page 6 - VAF Forums so the loads are reacted as in the original installation. The middle part of the gear reacts the load partly to the opposite gear tower and takes the bending moment in case of a ground loop.
In spite of the additional weight, I I’d rather put in a one piece steel gear than any two piece gear.

Back