What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section Spacer and bolt fit

Surfdoc

Attempting to assemble (final assembly) the F904 Center section on the -9. For the life of me I cannot get the bolts for the F904j center section spacer to get through the prepunched holes in F904A and F904E (forward and after center section / bulkhead assembly). My tech counselors said to drill the prepunched holes out but there is a big green sticker that says "Do Not drill". I reached out to Vans but no answer. I have since locked out the tech advisors as they have costed me too much money in replacement parts and starting to question whether they really built or not. Any guidance is appreciated! Would love to post photos but have no clue how. Dwg 16 for reference.

just me

If It was me I would not go against Vans direction. Others have used bolts from Lowes or Home Depot to line things up when building up the center section. Store bolts bolts are a few thousands smaller in diameter.
I used the bolts supplied by Vans, but I would not do this again because it was very hard to remove them once assembled; a lot of heating and cooling.
JMHO

I think it is better to wait a few days and talk to Vans, then to get 4 years into the build and realize the center section is damaged.

Last edited:
1. As for inserting the bolts, freeze your bolts. The colder the better!

2. As for posting pictures, at the top of the tool bar in your post, click on the paper clip icon. Choose the file location and click “upload”. That’s it.

The provided bolts are close tolerance. Don’t use them until the wings go on for the final assembly. Use regular hardware store bolts for initial fitting. Don’t drill the holes! Get some dry ice when the time comes for final assembly and they will slip in barely. You may need to apply some force with a mallet to get them started in the holes.

couple of things;

close tolerance bolts aren't necessarily bigger, just what the name implies, they are closer to exactly the same size as the hole. Save those bolts for when you are installing the wings for the final time.

For earlier operations, I went to the hardware store with a flat granite countertop sample and a micrometer, then went through the whole bin of bolts looking for the straightest ones that were also on the small to middle end of the tolerance range.

As suggested - take hardware store bolts to begin with, grind down the threads to make a tapered pin, that will help centralize the bolt holes and get them all lined up. Then freeze your final bolts for final assembly.

Do not drill the holes!

Back